Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,076

2 members and 3,074 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    I have another suggestion: One thing that might have turned off newcomers in the past has been the "teasing" by members when someone finds a relevant topic in an old thread, & adds their question or comments to it, only to be met with "dead thread" comments from us, instead of answers. I think we all need to remember that some of these folks are just finding their way around here & posted where they thought their topic fit the best. This happens fairly often, so IMO there's a few things we could (& should) do about it.

For one thing, old threads are valuable reading, but maybe we should lock them at some point, so no further comments are added & a new thread on that topic must be started? That would eliminate the chance of anyone reopening an old thread. If someone really has relevant information later on, they can always post a link to the old thread & continue with a new thread, right? (I participate in another forum- a political one- and on that platform, once there are no replies for 15 days following the last comment, it's automatically locked. Would that work here? Not necessarily 15 days though, but maybe after several -3 to 6- months?- since many topics here are health issues that takes time to change or resolve.)

Second, maybe we could all be more aware of the way "dead thread" comments might be backfiring on us here- it's not exactly a "welcome mat" is it? It seems to me that many of the new members that were met with jeers of "dead thread" disappeared & posted no more after that? Perhaps they thought "here it goes again" -meaning the hostility found on other social media sites? If we're really here to be of help, I think we've been sending to wrong message at times. If we start locking old threads, that will eliminate the problem easily.

Since we're still billing ourselves as "the friendliest online community for all your herping needs", I think this is one easy way we could improve. What do you all think?
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-03-2021 at 05:24 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Ba11er (02-05-2021),Hugsplox (02-04-2021),richardhind1972 (02-03-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

What is going on here?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I have another suggestion: One thing that might have turned off newcomers in the past has been the "teasing" by members when someone finds a relevant topic in an old thread, & adds their question or comments to it, only to be met with "dead thread" comments from us, instead of answers. I think we all need to remember that some of these folks are just finding their way around here & posted where they thought their topic fit the best. This happens fairly often, so IMO there's a few things we could (& should) do about it.

For one thing, old threads are valuable reading, but maybe we should lock them at some point, so no further comments are added & a new thread on that topic must be started? That would eliminate the chance of anyone reopening an old thread. If someone really has relevant information later on, they can always post a link to the old thread & continue with a new thread, right? (I participate in another forum- a political one- and on that platform, once there are no replies for 15 days following the last comment, it's automatically locked. Would that work here? Not necessarily 15 days though, but maybe after several -3 to 6- months?- since many topics here are health issues that takes time to change or resolve.)

Second, maybe we could all be more aware of the way "dead thread" comments might be backfiring on us here- it's not exactly a "welcome mat" is it? It seems to me that many of the new members that were met with jeers of "dead thread" disappeared & posted no more after that? Perhaps they thought "here it goes again" -meaning the hostility found on other social media sites? If we're really here to be of help, I think we've been sending to wrong message at times. If we start locking old threads, that will eliminate the problem easily.

Since we're still billing ourselves as "the friendliest online community for all your herping needs", I think this is one easy way we could improve. What do you all think?
    I agree totally !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Zincubus; 02-03-2021 at 08:03 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-03-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,363 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am not sure that there is any way to have the forum software automatically close threads after a certain time frame.

I do agree on being kind to those that bump up old threads with new questions. We can ask them to start a new thread for their question in order to get more attention (and then close the old, bumped thread). Sometimes new users don't actually know how to start a new thread--that is a common question that comes through via the Contact Us form. So they might just need a little guidance.
    - Emily

Thanks

Re: What is going on here?

Quote Originally Posted by mlededee View Post
    I am not sure that there is any way to have the forum software automatically close threads after a certain time frame.

I do agree on being kind to those that bump up old threads with new questions. We can ask them to start a new thread for their question in order to get more attention (and then close the old, bumped thread). Sometimes new users don't actually know how to start a new thread--that is a common question that comes through via the Contact Us form. So they might just need a little guidance.
    But threads can be manually closed, right? Forgive me, I have no idea how much hassle that might be, just asking.

My usual response is to answer the question when an old "necro" thread is revived, & then suggest that opening a new thread is usually more effective, or words to that effect. But it's been a tradition here (I was reminded today in one thread*) for members to make a little 'fun' of old threads being revived, & it occurred to me that it's probably perceived as unfriendly to a newcomer. No one really means anything by it, but new people who are shy about posting to begin with don't know that.

*https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...fect-your-bill

> > > https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...=1#post2750138
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-03-2021 at 10:58 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,363 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yes, threads can be manually closed by a staff member.

If there is relevant new content to be added or discussed in an old thread I see no problem with that. When someone posts on a really old thread, it means they probably used the search function to find that old content (or did a fair amount of looking around to get there). Which is great! That is how people find answers without asking repetitive questions.

Thread necromancy is not something that is even a known concept to people that are new to forums. So we should be nice to them while they learn.
    - Emily

Thanks
    I've been on websites where the hammering for resurrecting dead threads was merciless and downright cruel. I haven't seen that on this site.
    "Something Clever"

1.0 Paradox Albino KSB - Spotticus
    0.1 Dutch Rabbit - Wendy

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Spicey For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-04-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

I agree with the necro thread situation. It's a little aggravating because I've seen members complain about all the "my BP won't eat" newbie threads, but in the necro thread situation, people are searching and finding posts that answer their questions, and posting with additional questions. So I guess my question to those users would be, would you rather see these new guys searching and exhausting their options before posting in an old thread, or continue to see the "help he won't eat" new threads?

For one I'm happy to see someone using the search function before posting.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-04-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hugsplox View Post
    I agree with the necro thread situation. It's a little aggravating because I've seen members complain about all the "my BP won't eat" newbie threads, but in the necro thread situation, people are searching and finding posts that answer their questions, and posting with additional questions. So I guess my question to those users would be, would you rather see these new guys searching and exhausting their options before posting in an old thread, or continue to see the "help he won't eat" new threads?

For one I'm happy to see someone using the search function before posting.
    Same here. I'm glad they're searching & reading up, and if we lock the old threads so they cannot add to them, they'll soon figure out (or ask) how to post a new thread. This seems the best "solution" to me, & certainly the most welcoming way? We have to remember that new members may be young & may have previously been "bullied" (as some have privately told me).

I understand that the world is a brutal place that reinforces "survival of the fittest" but I don't see how that helps the pet snakes that belong to owners needing help if they're too intimidated to get answers & help from us here. If their first post is met with derision for adding to an old thread, is it likely they'll make a second? Some will, but I also fear that too many won't.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (02-04-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Same here. I'm glad they're searching & reading up, and if we lock the old threads so they cannot add to them, they'll soon figure out (or ask) how to post a new thread. This seems the best "solution" to me, & certainly the most welcoming way? We have to remember that new members may be young & may have previously been "bullied" (as some have privately told me).

I understand that the world is a brutal place that reinforces "survival of the fittest" but I don't see how that helps the pet snakes that belong to owners needing help if they're too intimidated to get answers & help from us here. If their first post is met with derision for adding to an old thread, is it likely they'll make a second? Some will, but I also fear that too many won't.
    Right, I've said a couple of times that there's a reason I left a nameless other site to come here. The community is just better. I like to think we're all firm when we need to be, and forgiving when it's warranted. I've seen a lot of people display a level of patience with new keepers on here that you just won't get anywhere else.

We can really sell this community if we all just put the effort in.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-04-2021),Zincubus (02-04-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Yes ... this is the perfect solution.. people can still view and learn from old threads but they won’t be able to ask for photos and the seller’s location for a for a ‘for sale’ thread from 12 years ago ... it will save a fair bit of embarrassment as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-04-2021),Hugsplox (02-04-2021),richardhind1972 (02-04-2021),Spicey (02-04-2021)

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast