Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,820

2 members and 2,818 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,813 Times in 492 Posts

Re: What is going on here?

Thanks for the clarification and your input, mlededee! It's always nice to have admins weigh in on stuff like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mlededee View Post
    I don't necessarily think that changing the name/URL of a well established, 17 year old forum is a great idea. Our slogan is "The friendliest online community for ALL your herping needs." I understand that it is clear that the focus appears to be ball pythons, and that is because it is. But we do also pride ourselves in providing information on all species, which is also pretty clear if you come and take a look around.

If were aren't BP.Net, then what would we be? We could do something like a second domain name that redirects to the same forum and tweak the graphics. But I am not sure we want to do a full rebrand.
    This is actually a really good point. It sounds like we really need to put our status as "the friendliest online community for ALL your herping needs!" out there better and show that we're not just a group of BP people over here, the same way Kingsnake isn't just for kingsnake people. So, what Hugsplox and Zincubus were talking about earlier. The only real idea I have on this front is public outreach/advertisement -- ie. getting one or some of the popular podcasts to mention us and what it's really like here.

As far as generating more content/posts/activity: perhaps we could start some sort of special weekly discussion thread series? Maybe they could focus on aspects of things such as hobby ethics, hobby history, applying things they've learned caring for one species to another, etc. Alternatively, we could start holding some sort of weekly or weekly-ish "book club" or "podcast club" where people could discuss new herp literature or podcast episodes. I feel like Reddit groups have weekly "mega-threads" like this that are fairly active; maybe something similar could work here?
    0.1 Sonoran Boa sigma​: "Adelita" ('19 Hypo het. leopard)
    1.0 Boa imperator longicauda: "Kuzco" ('19 het. anery)
    0.1 West Papuan Morelia spilota​: "Pandora" ('20)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WrongPython For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (12-15-2020),mlededee (12-15-2020),Sonny1318 (01-20-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,363 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WrongPython View Post
    Consider updating and consolidating the sticky threads into a basic "how to" locked sub-forum a la the "BP.net Guide to Ball Python Morphs." Perhaps we could throw in a some new FAQ threads -- like "So your BP won't eat... now what?" -- to obviously answer the questions people don't feel like skimming a full care sheet for. Worried new keepers will still continue to make the same old panicked posts, but maybe this would cut down on the volume a bit.
    Yes, absolutely agree with this item. I cleaned up the stickies in a couple of the off topic type forums recently, but this needs some serious work.

If anyone wants to create NEW sticky type posts, let's get that going. Anyone can create an informational type post at any time. A, "So your BP won't eat... now what?" post. New threads don't have to be questions or photo threads. Share your knowledge with a new post. It might get stickied or replace an old sticky.
    - Emily

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mlededee For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-15-2020),jmcrook (12-15-2020),WrongPython (12-15-2020)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

As far as generating more content/posts/activity: perhaps we could start some sort of special weekly discussion thread series? Maybe they could focus on aspects of things such as hobby ethics, hobby history, applying things they've learned caring for one species to another, etc. Alternatively, we could start holding some sort of weekly or weekly-ish "book club" or "podcast club" where people could discuss new herp literature or podcast episodes. I feel like Reddit groups have weekly "mega-threads" like this that are fairly active; maybe something similar could work here?
    Do it! I can supply tons of media type sources. Podcasts, YouTube channels, etc. If you want to talk about this stuff, start the discussion!

I can make a new forum/section for this type of discussion if it is warranted.
    Last edited by mlededee; 12-15-2020 at 08:13 PM.
    - Emily

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mlededee For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-15-2020),jmcrook (12-15-2020),WrongPython (12-15-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

What is going on here?

Thanks for the clarification and your input, mlededee! It's always nice to have admins weigh in on stuff like this.

This is actually a really good point. It sounds like we really need to put our status as "the friendliest online community for ALL your herping needs!" out there better and show that we're not just a group of BP people over here, the same way Kingsnake isn't just for kingsnake people. So, what Hugsplox and Zincubus were talking about earlier. The only real idea I have on this front is public outreach/advertisement -- ie. getting one or some of the popular podcasts to mention us and what it's really like here.

Sorry to keep harping back to RFUK but it has got a bit of life back into it by being a bit more community based .. with threads titled ‘how are you feeling today?’ ‘Coronavirus daily update / thoughts thread’ , ‘ What are you listening to these days’ ‘the what made you smile thread’ where you can upload a funny news story/ funny image from the internet/ funny thing that happened to you / cute photo of your dawg asleep or whatever ..

Anything but get people talking/ reading / replying but it doesn’t HAVE to be snake based .. just encourages more forum traffic

Edit
    One I may try here is the Random photo thread ... where you can just show your silly or creative side .... or the ‘What the hell is this’ thread where you post a photo of something interesting but unusual ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Zincubus; 12-15-2020 at 10:50 PM.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-15-2020),richardhind1972 (01-20-2021),Sonny1318 (01-20-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Sorry to keep harping back to RFUK but it has got a bit of life back into it by being a bit more community based .. with threads titled ‘how are you feeling today?’ ‘Coronavirus daily update / thoughts thread’ , ‘ What are you listening to these days’ ‘the what made you smile thread’ where you can upload a funny news story/ funny image from the internet/ funny thing that happened to you / cute photo of your dawg asleep or whatever ..

Anything but get people talking/ reading / replying but it doesn’t HAVE to be snake based .. just encourages more forum traffic

Edit
    One I may try here is the Random photo thread ... where you can just show your silly or creative side .... or the ‘What the hell is this’ thread where you post a photo of something interesting but unusual ..

I agree- some forums I've previously experienced also had a thread for shared humor...& who needs that, right?
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (01-20-2021)

Thanks

What is going on here?

Presumably any new ‘off topic’ threads go in Members Forum / Hisses and Hugs section ??

Or is there an off topic area !?!?

Last edited by Zincubus; 12-15-2020 at 10:58 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    - Emily

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mlededee For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (12-16-2020)

Thanks

What is going on here?

Quote Originally Posted by mlededee View Post
    Thanks that’s very useful... but what is the Members Forum / Hisses and Hugs then ?
    Kinda confusing..

Last edited by Zincubus; 12-16-2020 at 07:09 AM.

Thanks
    I pretty much never post here, but I check out the forums at least once a day & have been noticing the slow traffic too. It's worrying. This place is the only online forum I'd trust with quality snake advice, and I've gotten plenty of it! It's like magic-I use the advice, and bam, problem gone(and brain a bit less stupid!)

I wonder how many users are like me, where they only post if they have a snake related problem but never post in the other threads for whatever reason despite being frequent visitors. It doesn't seem like the number of guests has been dropping that much either-could be that the forums have a "for advice only" problem, and are getting overshadowed by social media platforms?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ApepApocalypse For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-16-2020)

Thanks
    I also almost never post here anymore either, although I do pop in most days just to check and see what's going on, and what new, interesting topics there might be. I've also noticed an influx in threads of newbies asking the same questions repeatedly, but very few posts outside of that category.

I may be speaking only for myself, but Covid has impacted the amount of time I've been able to spend on the forum, simply because work seems to have taken over my life. Changes in schedule (nights to days), facility changes, and an absurd amount of MOT have zapped a lot of my energy, and I wouldn't be surprised if I wasn't the only one, especially if any of our regulars are in the medical field. Financial difficulties due to hour/paycuts and layoffs may have forced some people to either get second jobs or cut out luxuries like internet, both of which would decrease forum traffic as well.

I like a lot of the suggestions that have been put forth thus far, and I do think updated stickies would be immensely helpful. This is still my go-to forum for anything reptile related, because as some have pointed out, social media reptile (or pet) sections in general tend to be absolute cesspits. At least here we can post pictures without having people scrutinize everything in the room/enclosure to look for anything that they can criticize.
    1.0 Banana/Coral Glow Emperor Pin BP- Horatio
    0.1 Hypo Black Pewter Butter- Gin & Tonic (Ginny)
    1.0 Piebald Cat- Percival Henry

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Pengil For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-16-2020)

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast