Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 608

1 members and 607 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Now I have a non eater...

Quote Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
    ...........OP- It sounds like your husbandry is dialed in and your BP isn’t sick or losing much weight. You’re doing everything you need to in order for your snake to thrive, so hakuna matata (no worries). Keep those prey items warm, offer food once a month, and relax! She’ll eat when she’s ready. The only thing I would suggest is trying to feed Eggroll first and if she refuses you can feed that prey to your other snakes so they’re not wasted, even though I’m sure the wildlife outdoors appreciate those meals too. Make sure you let us know when she takes her next meal so I can add it to my study . Best wishes.
    From all the reading on here I figured until I hit the 6 month mark or so it not a problem No Worries, Just the first year she has gone on strike

Otherwise she acts normal, so I figured it's just her being a BP

I have been trying to feed Eggroll Last just so I can leave the snake room
    and leave the rat in her enclosure if she won't take it from the tongs.

Cheyenne (Boa) gets fed first, Once she smells Rat she'll strike glass at every movement, I could cover her enclosure, But the longer she waits the more she's fired up, And she's Quick.

I'll update this thread on a monthly basis or when she eats, so you can update you study.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gocntry For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-19-2021),EL-Ziggy (01-19-2021),Zincubus (01-19-2021)

Thanks

Newest Update:

Eggroll still hasn't eaten, BUT last night she did use the bathroom again and looked liked she was trying to shed?

Snake room temp was 78*, room humidity was at 50%, So I covered her cage and upped the humidity with a damp towel over the screen, then covered in foil

She shed overnight, looked like a rough shed, wasn't 1 piece like she usually does, lots of pieces. But looks like she got it all off.

I have to head to the E.N.T. then work, so I'll let her rest today and get her out tonight when I get home make sure eye caps and tail tip were shed.

Only a part day at work tomorrow (I'd use vacation but my Perfect Prey delivery is being delivered then) so when I get home I'll give her enclosure a complete

clean due to the little she pieces and change the Aspen out with the Repti Chip I have now.

And fingers crossed maybe she'll be ready to eat again!!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gocntry For This Useful Post:

nikkubus (02-11-2021),Zincubus (03-08-2021)

Thanks

Well I thought she was going to break her fast on the Feb 20 feeding day,

Came out of her hide, Lots of tongue flicking and interest, then looks at me with that Meh look and went back in her hide

March 06 feed day, no interest at all, then to make it more fun Hal decides that if Eggroll doesn't want to eat neither does he so he refused too

Ugh.... These guys drive me crazy, But I would Never get rid of them!!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Gocntry For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-08-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,895 Times in 2,991 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gocntry View Post
    Well I thought she was going to break her fast on the Feb 20 feeding day,

Came out of her hide, Lots of tongue flicking and interest, then looks at me with that Meh look and went back in her hide

March 06 feed day, no interest at all, then to make it more fun Hal decides that if Eggroll doesn't want to eat neither does he so he refused too

Ugh.... These guys drive me crazy, But I would Never get rid of them!!
    I don’t think I’ve mentioned it but please try the hairdryer method of feeding next time ... in a week or so !!!

I’ll send you the details now !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Gocntry (03-08-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    I don’t think I’ve mentioned it but please try the hairdryer method of feeding next time ... in a week or so !!!

I’ll send you the details now !!

Thanks!!

I do blast the rats with a hairdryer to warm them up, part of my feeding ritual,

I do not thaw them out in the snake room though because that gets the Boa (Cheyenne) all fired up. She's fast, I just upgraded my 9" tongs to 18" tongs to keep my hand farther away.

All snakes are on a every other week feeding schedule also, so they do go 2 weeks between refusals, Hal has gone a month refusing, But Eggroll has gone the longest I've seen yet.

My other 2 BP's can't wait for feeding day and are total disposals when it comes to food (So Far)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Gocntry For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (03-08-2021)

Thanks

Now I have a non eater...

Thanks!!

I do blast the rats with a hairdryer to warm them up, part of my feeding ritual,

I do not thaw them out in the snake room though because that gets the Boa (Cheyenne) all fired up. She's fast, I just upgraded my 9" tongs to 18" tongs to keep my hand farther away.

All snakes are on a every other week feeding schedule also, so they do go 2 weeks between refusals, Hal has gone a month refusing, But Eggroll has gone the longest I've seen yet.

My other 2 BP's can't wait for feeding day and are total disposals when it comes to food (So Far)
    Ah ....and you’ve tried feeding him in dim light after warming -and with him settled under a hide ??
    Some will strike and miss and spook themselves then slither away to safety .. that’s why it’s better ( for some) to feed when they’re in a hide

Last edited by Zincubus; 03-08-2021 at 02:11 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Ah ....and you’ve tried feeding him in dim light after warming -and with him settled under a hide ??
    Some will strike and miss and spook themselves then slither away to safety .. that’s why it’s better ( for some) to feed when they’re in a hide

I wait until dark outside, No natural light in the window, Lights dimmed,

Eggroll normally eats from her hide, Shoots out, grabs rat, disappears into hide.

Hal goes either way, this time he was in his hide, stuck at it missed, then ignored it.

I do let the rats sit in the enclosures over night to give them a chance at their leisure, but always the remove rats in the morning.

Thanks

I wait until dark outside, No natural light in the window, Lights dimmed,

Eggroll normally eats from her hide, Shoots out, grabs rat, disappears into hide.

Hal goes either way, this time he was in his hide, stuck at it missed, then ignored it.

I do let the rats sit in the enclosures over night to give them a chance at their leisure, but always the remove rats in the morning.
    They are pesky little blighters aren’t they

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-24-2021)

Thanks

I've enjoyed reading this thread...thanks OP for bringing up the subject and keeping up with updates. Also thank you all of you who contributed. I personally have a girl whose been on a hunger strike since I purchased her on December 20th. The person I bought her from said she ate the day before I got her. She has gone to the bathroom a couple times since then. I've tried feeding her every couple of weeks but she just hasn't shown interest. Unfortunately he was feeding her live which means I've been stuck with an unwanted pet.

Anyways, she weighed approximately 1900 grams when I got her, just weighed her today and she is down to about 1600 grams. She still looks healthy, still has a friendly disposition to her..

I purchased a juvenile male about a month ago and he's been eating F/T mice and just stepped up to a F/T rat pup on Sunday. He has been eating like a champ.

Guess i'll just keep offering to my girl every couple of weeks.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blinky125 View Post
    I've enjoyed reading this thread...thanks OP for bringing up the subject and keeping up with updates. Also thank you all of you who contributed. I personally have a girl whose been on a hunger strike since I purchased her on December 20th. The person I bought her from said she ate the day before I got her. She has gone to the bathroom a couple times since then. I've tried feeding her every couple of weeks but she just hasn't shown interest. Unfortunately he was feeding her live which means I've been stuck with an unwanted pet.

Anyways, she weighed approximately 1900 grams when I got her, just weighed her today and she is down to about 1600 grams. She still looks healthy, still has a friendly disposition to her..

I purchased a juvenile male about a month ago and he's been eating F/T mice and just stepped up to a F/T rat pup on Sunday. He has been eating like a champ.

Guess i'll just keep offering to my girl every couple of weeks.
    Have you tried the hairdryer method !!??

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast