Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 460

2 members and 458 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Now I have a non eater...

3 months in, No interest in eating yet.

Eggroll comes out and cruises at night, I catch her out quite often. Totally normal otherwise.

Just no interest in eating when it's feeding night, All the other snakes are fired up and ready to go when they smell dinner.

I leave the rat in her enclosure over night, She pretends it's not even there , She'll just go around or over it like it's part of the substrate.

With Spring on the way in 2 1/2 months or so, I'll see what happens.

Just wish I could go without eating for a week or so, I need to lose 15 lbs or so .

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gocntry For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-17-2021),dakski (01-17-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,730 Times in 11,794 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gocntry View Post

Eggroll comes out and cruises at night, I catch her out quite often. Totally normal otherwise.

Just no interest in eating when it's feeding night, All the other snakes are fired up and ready to go when they smell dinner.

I leave the rat in her enclosure over night, She pretends it's not even there , She'll just go around or over it like it's part of the substrate.

Just wish I could go without eating for a week or so, I need to lose 15 lbs or so .
    Snakes have it "made" don't they? I hope she'll come around for you this spring...I bet she does.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

I wouldn’t sweat it if her body condition looks okay. My male’s first fast was from October-June and lost almost no weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (01-18-2021),Gocntry (01-19-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,895 Times in 2,991 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gocntry View Post

Oddly enough .. I work with autistic teenagers in a high school .. it’s stressful at the best of times but with this super virulent Covid strain I’m stressed beyond belief. So much so that I lost 8lbs in 8 days due to stress and constant nausea.
    I’ve managed to put two pounds back on since Friday ... but I’m expecting to lose all that plus more over the coming week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (01-18-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,730 Times in 11,794 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Oddly enough .. I work with autistic teenagers in a high school .. it’s stressful at the best of times but with this super virulent Covid strain I’m stressed beyond belief. So much so that I lost 8lbs in 8 days due to stress and constant nausea.
    I’ve managed to put two pounds back on since Friday ... but I’m expecting to lose all that plus more over the coming week

You didn't actually catch COVID though, is that right? Just the stress made you lose that much so quickly? Please take good care of yourself. Sounds like you need a vacation...
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

You sound like you have an anxiety disorder, and it sounds incredibly similar to mine. If you’re interested, send me a message and I can tell you what truly helped me personally.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    You didn't actually catch COVID though, is that right? Just the stress made you lose that much so quickly? Please take good care of yourself. Sounds like you need a vacation...
    Yeah ... physically 100% just my nerves / anxiety levels are through the roof ... and beyond ..

As regards a vacation.. we should be flying to Florida as we speak as it’s our son’s wedding in a few days

We haven’t even met his wife yet

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-18-2021),EL-Ziggy (01-18-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    You sound like you have an anxiety disorder, and it sounds incredibly similar to mine. If you’re interested, send me a message and I can tell you what truly helped me personally.

By all means send me any info or links that you’ve found helpful

Thanks !

Thanks
    Thanked 5,484 Times in 2,683 Posts

I LOVE reading the annual surge of “my snake won’t eat” threads. I find them both entertaining and educational and use them for my ongoing informal study of snake and human behavior. I totally get it every time, especially with newer keepers. I used to do the EXACT thing whenever my snakes would fast. It started with those pesky BPs decades ago, then with my kings when I got back into the hobby in 2012, and most recently with my colubrids and carpets with their seasonal food breaks. Now, after seeing with my own eyes, and moreso through the countless experiences of other keepers, I just sit back and wait for the inevitable outcome and to hear the beautiful words, “My snake ate!”. It’s like music to my ears and further confirmation of my diehard belief that the hunger ALWAYS wins. I still have NEVER seen a healthy animal starve itself to death when there was food available. I’m all down for trying any healthy tips to get a snake eating again but the most I’ll do is scenting, trying a different prey type, or live feeding as an absolute last resort. Usually I just offer food once a month and see how long it takes for the snake to eat again. It’s usually 3-4 months for my current group of critters, but I’ve had BPs go 9-12 months, and they were ALL just fine afterwards.

OP- It sounds like your husbandry is dialed in and your BP isn’t sick or losing much weight. You’re doing everything you need to in order for your snake to thrive, so hakuna matata (no worries). Keep those prey items warm, offer food once a month, and relax! She’ll eat when she’s ready. The only thing I would suggest is trying to feed Eggroll first and if she refuses you can feed that prey to your other snakes so they’re not wasted, even though I’m sure the wildlife outdoors appreciate those meals too. Make sure you let us know when she takes her next meal so I can add it to my study . Best wishes.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

14. The Following User Says Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

Gocntry (01-19-2021)

Thanks

Yeah ... physically 100% just my nerves / anxiety levels are through the roof ... and beyond ..

As regards a vacation.. we should be flying to Florida as we speak as it’s our son’s wedding in a few days

We haven’t even met his wife yet

I've been in a similar situation many years ago with a not so nice divorce, It's not fun

Take Care of Yourself and Be Well Fellow Snake Lover

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gocntry For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-19-2021),Zincubus (01-19-2021)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast