Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,140

1 members and 3,139 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Peppers basking bulb blew up and got glass on her

I honestly really really didn’t mean too and I love pepper so much, so please don’t think that I did it on purpose or something because I honestly didn’t even think about it at the moment. I love pepper so much and she is like a baby to me. I will never do it again. I was thinking of moving the hose back over the water dish, would that be okay?
    And should pepper be alright as long as she continues to act alright?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts
    It's late here, as far as addressing your set-up (there's other issues too). I don't know of anyone else with a 'hose' dripping water, so there has to be a better way to humidify.

I don't think for a minute that this was anything but an accident, but it's still up to us to prevent accidents. It sounds like she's okay, & I'm glad. But it's time to change what you're doing.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

It’s a zoomed fogger and trust me it drips A lot. I did get her some plants for her room and I was out of eco earth and I had to use something when I cleaned up the glass and the aspen was better than paper. I also got her a bigger hut. They are all for Christmas plus she has a bamboo stick I haven’t figured out how to hang safely and one of those hanging twisted ropes but haven’t figured out how to put it up either.

Thanks

I think peppers alright because she just buried herself into the aspen. Adorable!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 4Dobermans For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (12-08-2020)

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts
    Aspen is horrible for holding humidity so changing your substrate would help, as would throwing out your glass day/night bulbs and fogger and getting a CHE dome over the cage for heating. One bulb, no light, make sure it's in a ceramic dome made for it, on a dimmer or thermostat and then get a room humidifier to run.

2.0 Python brongersmai
    1.1 Python breitensteini
    1.0 Python curtus
    1.0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Acrantophis dumerili
    1.0 Boa constrictor
    0.1 Heterodon nasiscus nasiscus
    0.0.1 Pantherophis guttatus

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GoingPostal For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-08-2020),Gio (12-08-2020),jmcrook (12-08-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Peppers basking bulb blew up and got glass on her

Quote Originally Posted by GoingPostal View Post
    Aspen is horrible for holding humidity so changing your substrate would help, as would throwing out your glass day/night bulbs and fogger and getting a CHE dome over the cage for heating. One bulb, no light, make sure it's in a ceramic dome made for it, on a dimmer or thermostat and then get a room humidifier to run.
    Aspen is horrible... full stop !

As you say it’s useless for controlling humidity, it looks rubbish -very unnatural, it gets all over the house on your shoes and it ‘seems’ to drain the colour out of lighter coloured snakes .

Check out the difference between aspen and reptile / orchid bark !

The above mentioned bark is dangle controlling humidity as well .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Zincubus; 12-08-2020 at 07:53 AM.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-08-2020),richardhind1972 (12-08-2020),Sonny1318 (12-08-2020)

Thanks

It sounds like you’re using a zoo med reptifogger. I had the same experience with the hose dripping frequently and the water collecting on the screen, but it can certainly be a good way to provide humidity. I also live in a very dry climate. To increase humidity, I use reptile prime substrate. It holds moisture well when misted. A humidity box, tupperware with a hole cut in the lid filled with moist sphangum moss, works really well for my snakes. It won’t increase the ambient humidity, but it gives them a nice humid spot to go soak some up.

It sounds as though your bulbs are currently making contact with the screen when placed in that dome? If this is the case, the dome is not deep enough for the lights you are using. I would recommend looking for a lamp with deeper dome. Check the wattage of the lamp and make sure you get the correct bulbs. I would agree with the suggestion above about switching to a ceramic heat emitter from personal experience, but make sure that you get a thermostat to regulate it if you do.

Then, you could get a reptile lamp stand so that your lights are hanging and are no longer making contact with the screen at all. This would prevent the same issue from happening again.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Kethith For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-08-2020)

Thanks

I do have a ceramic heat emitter for during the night but it only gets up to 80 and that fine for night but she needs something warmer for the day. The only reason I got this done is because it has a dimmer so if it gets too hot I can dim it without it shutting off every 5 minutes from the thermostat. The Che is on a thermostat. Also I just put aspen in there because I didn’t have any more soil and I had to change it because of the glass in in.

Thanks

I would notice if she has glass embedded on her right?
    I washed her with water instantly and dried her with a towel. I have looked her over and so has my mom but we don’t see anything on her.

Thanks

Also is it weird that peppered pupils have always been a little different in size. It’s barely but if you look closely you can see one is like a cm off but it’s not even noticeable. Is that weird or worrying because her eyes have always kinda been like that I believe.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast