Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,210

3 members and 3,207 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts

Re: Peppers basking bulb blew up and got glass on her

Quote Originally Posted by 4Dobermans View Post
    I just did that and it said that there was no matches. I honestly don’t know how to make it better considering I can’t buy anything until Friday.

And by the way they aren’t excuses because they have really happened!! And since I am lying I know the name of each animal hospital. This other one I haven’t went to before but took my chicken because she had a staph infection, said that it was cancer. It wasn’t cancer considering a huge kernel plus pus popped out and after months it finally healed.

Prescott animal hospital and there are 3 vets that take reptiles but I have tried all of them.
    Premier pet hospital. Only one doctor takes reptiles here

Those are the only two that take exotic animals in Prescott.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You might have to drive further to get the vet help you need...many others do just that. If you cannot do that, you shouldn't try to keep pets for which there is no local vet help, it's not fair to them is it?
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (12-08-2020)

Thanks

...A different vet form the same hospital said that my bps tail tip turning black was normal and she should be fine, go find out it isn’t normal for their tip to turn black and fall off for no reason.

FYI, if you don't check your snake's tail tip after EVERY SHED to make sure all the old skin came off, it can get stuck, & only a few layers of old shed on their tail tip is enough to cut off the blood supply and cause death of tissue. (hence the black dead tail tip- which can also cause a systemic & fatal infection in a snake!) That was a husbandry issue, it was something that YOU could & should have prevented.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Caitlin View Post
    If your CHE are burning out in less than 3 months, something else is wrong. I'm hoping others can chime in here as I have never experienced this before. A 100 watt CHE should be enough to keep your 40 gallon at proper temps, though if your room is kept chilly you may need a higher wattage or a supplemental UTH. There is no reason you should have to worry about keeping your CHE on at all times; this needs to be addressed for the sake of your snake.

An enclosure with proper humidity will not cause scale rot. Scale rot arises from a combination of wet substrate (WET, not the very slight dampness that you find in properly hydrated substrate), incorrect temperatures, and enclosures that aren't clean.

This is what I share with new keepers who are struggling with humidity:
    1. Use a moisture-friendly substrate such as cypress mulch or coconut husk. These substrates are good for mixing water into them and not molding.

2. When the substrate eventually dries out and humidity drops below desired levels, re-hydrate it. My method is to remove the artificial plants, hides, water bowl, etc. and pour several cups of water (depending on enclosure size) directly onto the substrate. You want your substrate to feel just slightly moist, but not so much that it makes your hands wet or that you can squeeze water out of it. Mix it in thoroughly, spread it out, and then replace the furniture in the enclosure. This enables the moisture to evaporate slowly throughout the week, because it is deep in the layers, rather than quickly if you mist just the top of the substrate.

3. Seal off about 3/4 of a screen mesh lid (if you have glass or a terrarium that has a screen top lid) with foil tape. Foil tape is good because aluminum does not get hot like other metals. You can use straight up aluminum foil as well, but it's crinkly and loud, does not seal as well, and is often difficult to maintain with removing the lid now and then.

4. Use a large water bowl, and put it somewhere near your heating element (either over an Under Tank Heater, or near a Ceramic Heat Emitter or Radiant Heat Panel). The extra water in the tank will evaporate into the air.

5. Mix sphagnum moss with water and squeeze it out until it is damp but not "dripping". You can either mix it straight into the substrate or put it in little mesh bags or stockings to make "moss balls", or set it in little cups where you can add more water over time.

The house stays at 65 but since it has tile, only one heat vent, the door is usually closed because of the dog at night, and I have a big window in there so it’s pretty cold in there. She luckily isn’t on the floor but on a blanket on the dresser so that keeps it a little warmer there. I will be getting her new eco earth. Would New Zealand sphagnum moss work or is there a better moss?
    I will also use my fogger but this time to make sure it stays Away from the bulb. I always clean her cage and make sure to get the poop as soon as I notice it and I don’t think she has ever slithered through it. I also change her water at least once a week because she doesn’t drink it every day and I use those blue drops for the water. I can’t remember it’s name right now but I have it somewhere in my room.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    FYI, if you don't check your snake's tail tip after EVERY SHED to make sure all the old skin came off, it can get stuck, & only a few layers of old shed on their tail tip is enough to cut off the blood supply and cause death of tissue. (hence the black dead tail tip- which can also cause a systemic & fatal infection in a snake!) That was a husbandry issue, it was something that YOU could & should have prevented.
    I checked it though and she didn’t have any stuck shed on it. I know that because I use to always check to make sure after every shed. This was on one of my first snakes and the doctor said I dropped something on her tail, which I know I didn’t. I always check on it and I Know that there I was Nothing on the tip of that tail when I looked at it and I am not stupid and can see. Pepper once got some shed stuck on the very very tip and I got it off immediately when I noticed the afternoon after she shed.

Thanks

I checked it though and she didn’t have any stuck shed on it. I know that because I use to always check to make sure after every shed. This was on one of my first snakes and the doctor said I dropped something on her tail, which I know I didn’t. I always check on it and I Know that there I was Nothing on the tip of that tail when I looked at it and I am not stupid and can see. Pepper once got some shed stuck on the very very tip and I got it off immediately when I noticed the afternoon after she shed.

Is it not supposed to look like this because I KNOW I got that piece off? I took a wet paper towel and gently rubbed it off.

Thanks

Does this look like a normal tail?

Thanks

Thanks

Does this look like a normal tail?

Her tail tip -as far as I can tell in this & other photo- is normal and is SUPPOSED to be black...it's part of her markings.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345