Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 810

2 members and 808 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PVC cage size?

Thanks

PVC cage size?

My three boas (Boa imperator) are all still young and slow-growing, but just to plan ahead, I wanted to get an idea of what PVC cage dimensions would be suitable for them at their final adult size. I should note that all three of my boas happen to be males, and while none of them are pure "dwarf" localities, they all have enough Central American blood in the mix that they're likely to stay on the smaller end of the size spectrum - probably maxing out around 5-6ft, tops.

In addition to general dimensions, any specific PVC cage recommendations for these guys are welcome as well!

Just to liven up this post a bit, here are pictures of the boa trio in question.

Ball Pythons:
    2018 Cinnamon Enchi Ghost - Ignis ("Iggy")
    2018 Butter Mojave BEL - Ravus ("Rae")
    2022 Albino Super Lesser - Cyrus ("Cy")

Boa Imperator:
    2018 Hypo Blood - Genesis ("Gen")
    2019 IMG Motley - Requiem ("Q")
    2019 Sharp Blizzard - Elysium ("Elys")

Iggy&Rae on Instagram:
    https://www.instagram.com/iggy_and_rae

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RedRabbit For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (12-05-2020),Kam (12-05-2020),richardhind1972 (12-06-2020),WrongPython (12-05-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Re: PVC cage size?

I love all of my Animal Plastics cages. Be prepared to wait ~6months for them though. I’ve only got pvc cages from one other cage builder who apparently turned out to be a scum bag and disappeared after taking a lot of people’s money and then never made their cages about a year ago.

I’d do some searches for pvc enclosures online and see if anything appeals to you. There’s several out there but I can only really speak for AP.

As for dimensions, 4x2’ floor space would probably do them well, though if you can afford to go larger they certainly wouldn’t mind. I’d also shoot for 18” or more for height. My planned adult cage for my male Suriname is 4’x30”x24” (LxWxH).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (12-05-2020),RedRabbit (12-05-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    I love all of my Animal Plastics cages. Be prepared to wait ~6months for them though. I’ve only got pvc cages from one other cage builder who apparently turned out to be a scum bag and disappeared after taking a lot of people’s money and then never made their cages about a year ago.

I’d do some searches for pvc enclosures online and see if anything appeals to you. There’s several out there but I can only really speak for AP.

As for dimensions, 4x2’ floor space would probably do them well, though if you can afford to go larger they certainly wouldn’t mind. I’d also shoot for 18” or more for height. My planned adult cage for my male Suriname is 4’x30”x24” (LxWxH).

I certainly don't mind the long turnaround time for Animal Plastics cages, as I've heard that the quality is well worth the wait. (In fact, part of the reason why I made this post was because I'm about to order two T10s for my ball pythons, and was wondering if I should just order my boa cages in advance too, haha.)

Out of the AP cages with the best sale prices, do you think the T10 (48"x24"x15") would be a tad too cramped for a male boa? It sounds like your planned cage is something along the lines of the T16 (48"x30"x24"), and I'm guessing the T13 (48"x30"x18") would also be reasonable. I do like the idea of a decent height for the cages, both for ease of cleaning the back corners, and to have more space for climbing decor for the boas themselves. On the other hand, I do plan to stack the cages three high, and I'm not particularly tall, so I wouldn't want the top cage to be too tough to reach, especially if I need some room to maneuver around an enthusiastic feeding response.
    Ball Pythons:

Boa Imperator:

Iggy&Rae on Instagram:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,533 Times in 877 Posts

I have no knowledge of PVC cages. I just wanted to say that your boas are beautiful.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kam For This Useful Post:

RedRabbit (12-05-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kam View Post
    I have no knowledge of PVC cages. I just wanted to say that your boas are beautiful.

Haha, thank you Kam! The compliment is still very much appreciated.
    Ball Pythons:

Boa Imperator:

Iggy&Rae on Instagram:

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RedRabbit For This Useful Post:

Kam (12-05-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    I prefer the 18" high T8's as it's easier to reach into the back corners for cleaning. I have some of the shorter ones and while the snakes seem to do ok in them, they're a bit cramped if I have to remove a hide or other decor.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

RedRabbit (12-05-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

PVC cage size?

Quote Originally Posted by RedRabbit View Post
    I certainly don't mind the long turnaround time for Animal Plastics cages, as I've heard that the quality is well worth the wait. (In fact, part of the reason why I made this post was because I'm about to order two T10s for my ball pythons, and was wondering if I should just order my boa cages in advance too, haha.)

Out of the AP cages with the best sale prices, do you think the T10 (48"x24"x15") would be a tad too cramped for a male boa? It sounds like your planned cage is something along the lines of the T16 (48"x30"x24"), and I'm guessing the T13 (48"x30"x18") would also be reasonable. I do like the idea of a decent height for the cages, both for ease of cleaning the back corners, and to have more space for climbing decor for the boas themselves. On the other hand, I do plan to stack the cages three high, and I'm not particularly tall, so I wouldn't want the top cage to be too tough to reach, especially if I need some room to maneuver around an enthusiastic feeding response.
    I think any of those cages would work. Honestly up to you with how much space you want to give the animals according to your budget. T13 would be perfect in my opinion, though T16 certainly wouldn’t hurt anything.

I’m also gravitationally inclined (not the negative “vertically challenged” ) and plan for my cage stacks not to exceed 3 high.

2’ tall lowest cage, 18” tall middle cage, eventually another 18-24” tall top cage on one side of the room. Other side currently has 2x 12” tall on a rolling cart that will eventually be reconfigured to a 24” tall on the bottom and the 12” cages on top.

Basically I don’t want the floor of any cage taller than chest hight. No time for playing “death from above” with skilled predators perched high above my head...

And I agree with bcr229, in retrospect I would opt for taller cages than 12”. At least 15” or more. They work great and the animals do fine in them, but a little more head space for cleaning and other maintenance would be nice.

Last edited by jmcrook; 12-05-2020 at 10:08 PM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Kam (12-05-2020),RedRabbit (12-05-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    I prefer the 18" high T8's as it's easier to reach into the back corners for cleaning. I have some of the shorter ones and while the snakes seem to do ok in them, they're a bit cramped if I have to remove a hide or other decor.
    Aah, do you mean the T11? That seems to be the AP size that has the same floor area as the T8 but is 18" high. I see what you're saying about the cage height, though. The Sterilite tubs that I keep my boas in currently are already 15" high; I certainly don't want to downgrade their vertical space, and I could see them readily making use of the 18" height if I give them stuff to climb.
    Last edited by RedRabbit; 12-05-2020 at 10:16 PM.
    Ball Pythons:

Boa Imperator:

Iggy&Rae on Instagram:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    I think any of those cages would work. Honestly up to you with how much space you want to give the animals according to your budget. T13 would be perfect in my opinion, though T16 certainly wouldn’t hurt anything.

I’m also gravitationally inclined (not the negative “vertically challenged” ) and plan for my cage stacks not to exceed 3 high.

2’ tall lowest cage, 18” tall middle cage, eventually another 18-24” tall top cage on one side of the room. Other side currently has 2x 12” tall on a rolling cart that will eventually be reconfigured to a 24” tall on the bottom and the 12” cages on top.

Basically I don’t want the floor of any cage taller than chest hight. No time for playing “death from above” with skilled predators perched high above my head...

And I agree with bcr229, in retrospect I would opt for taller cages than 12”. At least 15” or more. They work great and the animals do fine in them, but a little more head space for cleaning and other maintenance would be nice.

The photos are super helpful for reference, thank you for including them! (Also, I love the "gravitationally inclined" phrasing, and fully agree with avoiding the "death from above" situation, haha.) 15" cage height is definitely my minimum, which is why I didn't include the T8 in my considerations, despite the appealing price.
    Ball Pythons:

Boa Imperator:

Iggy&Rae on Instagram:

16. The Following User Says Thank You to RedRabbit For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (12-05-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,813 Times in 492 Posts

Always a pleasure to see you boas, RedRabbit. That's a nice group you've got there.

4' long may cut it for your guys, but going a little longer wouldn't hurt if you can. Height depends on your boas. If they like to perch, I would make sure they have a little extra height. 2' should do in that case, at least to start.

For comparison: my boas will reach roughly the same size as yours (5-6'), and I'm leaning on the side of giving them extra room. The longicauda will be getting a 6'x2'x4' eventually -- he's highly arboreal and uses the space of his cage throughout the year, so he'll get plenty of room to roam and height to perch. The Sonoran is shaping up to be on the larger end of her locality's size distribution (I honestly wouldn't be surprised if she exceeds 5' eventually), and since she will use the full space of her cage in a day, I'm planning to upgrade her to a 6' cage in the future.

On top of AP, other PVC cage makers I know include Kages (my 4'x2'x2' is from them), MP Cages & Exotics, Zen Habitats, Scale-Box, and Maximum Reptile. TerraOrb and Focus Cubed are worth a look as well, for some non-traditional options.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    0.1 Sonoran Boa sigma​: "Adelita" ('19 Hypo het. leopard)
    1.0 Boa imperator longicauda: "Kuzco" ('19 het. anery)
    0.1 West Papuan Morelia spilota​: "Pandora" ('20)

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WrongPython For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (12-06-2020),Kam (12-06-2020),RedRabbit (12-06-2020)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast