Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,038

0 members and 2,038 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Power out, when is it time to go out and find warmth.

2 foot of snow today in Cleveland OH. My powers out. Snake enclosures currently at 64°. When do I pack em up in their Tupperware and find a friends house?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    How many snakes? For just one you can put it in a bag and put it under your clothes.

For several put them in tubs with secure lids, put them in the bed under the covers, and get in the bed with them. The tubs ensure that if they pee they won't wet the bed, and if you have pets like dogs or cats that will also be on the bed the tubs ensure the snakes don't get stepped on.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-01-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,787 Times in 11,824 Posts
    Ugh, been there, done that (ice storm 2009!!!) Have they given you any idea when they expect to have power restored?

I did as bcr229 described when my power first went out. Later it was clear there was no coming back soon, so all my snakes (15-!) were securely bagged (one/bag or pillowcase), then placed 2 or 3 of similar sizes (weights!) in each of my "ice chests" (aka large "coolers"), along with 1 or 2 large jars of hot water. Kept closed, they kept warm (a balmy 78-80*) for 8-9 hours, when I changed the water again. Note, I have a gas hot water heater, so while my home heat & stove (electric) was OFF, at least I had hot water. We went 4 days like that, no snakes got sick, they all managed very well, just sleeping. Chemical heat packs can also be used, but be sure to shield them from the snakes, they can get too hot all at once. Or, go to your friend's place...Good luck.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-01-2020 at 09:05 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Re: Power out, when is it time to go out and find warmth.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Ugh, been there, done that (ice storm 2009!!!) Have they given you any idea when they expect to have power restored?

I did as bcr229 described when my power first went out. Later it was clear there was no coming back soon, so all my snakes (15-!) were securely bagged (one/bag or pillowcase), then placed 2 or 3 of similar sizes (weights!) in each of my "ice chests" (aka large "coolers"), along with 1 or 2 large jars of hot water. Kept closed, they kept warm (a balmy 78-80*) for 8-9 hours, when I changed the water again. Note, I have a gas hot water heater, so while my home heat & stove (electric) was OFF, at least I had hot water. We went 4 days like that, no snakes got sick, they all managed very well, just sleeping. Chemical heat packs can also be used, but be sure to shield them from the snakes, they can get too hot all at once. Or, go to your friend's place...Good luck.
    Amazingly powers back on. They sent me a text saying it'd be back on by the 3rd at 10pm. 10 seconds later it came on. I've ordered a portable generator for future issues. I was borderline panicking. 2 snakes only but suddenly I was worrying about dogs and pipes, etc.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,787 Times in 11,824 Posts

Re: Power out, when is it time to go out and find warmth.

Quote Originally Posted by SMTHook View Post
    Amazingly powers back on. They sent me a text saying it'd be back on by the 3rd at 10pm. 10 seconds later it came on. I've ordered a portable generator for future issues. I was borderline panicking. 2 snakes only but suddenly I was worrying about dogs and pipes, etc.
    You got real lucky! But be more ready for next time. Ice chests are the best way to transport snakes to & from appt'mts or when moving, & for any emergency like this. Plus, they make good actual ice chests for picnics & parties too, lol. Yes, lots to worry about when it's brutally cold. During that ice storm, I had all my frozen & refrigerated food in ice chests too- now I store them in my garage but boy are they handy when something happens. I didn't even lose any food during that event- my garage stayed about 40* so I kept my refrigerated food there, & put my ice chest full of frozen food on my sheltered front porch, & grabbed icicles off the house to pack into any gaps- but nothing thawed (outside stayed 32* or less). That was my first & -I fervently hope- my last, ice storm. I had (& currently have) dogs too. Fun times...
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)