Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,282

3 members and 3,279 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
    Thanks

Bioactive prep for AP T10

Howdy all,

I recently ordered a T10 (48"w x 24"d x 15"h) pvc enclosure from animal plastics for my lovely ball python. I don't think I'll be able to let the enclosure itself stay for very long without Luna (the BP) going in, simply because I don't really have the space to keep both enclosures. However, since I know the AP enclosures can take a few months to arrive, I was thinking I could do some prep beforehand so that I have some fairly well established plants, isopods, and springtails ready when it gets here.

I have had pothos in with her before. Granted, I didn't really give it time to root, but she slithered over it, took a nap on top of it, and it did not do well. So I think I'm going to be going with other plants. My chameleon had an umbrella plant, dracaena, and some other things, but I'm not sure the lighting will be enough. All I intend to have is simple LED lighting, not plant specific. Any Ideas on what plants I should get? I intend to get a fairly large tub or pot, use the same substrate I would be using for her, and get their roots to spread as much as possible. I also tried some air plants at one point and those were also flattened. So probably something a little more tree like with stronger leaves?

As for the clean up crew, a similar plan. Get some cultures going in the same substrate, add most of it (but leave some so that I have some backup), and give it maybe two weeks to settle a bit before I add her to her new home. There's only so long I can have a 40 gallon tank on the dining room table (where she would be waiting). Currently, I have springtails and dairy cow isopods getting started, and I'll probably get a couple more isopod species, just not positive which ones, yet.

For substrate, any advice on what I should use? She's on reptichip/coconut bark pieces right now. I was thinking maybe a little layer of hydro balls, then some more isopod type substrate, and some reptichip on top? Since she has a heat pad, I don't want to make it too deep. Is terra firma from the bio dude good? Is there some other mixture you might recommend? How does this sound overall plan wise?

Also, a question for folks who have these enclosures: how deep is the substrate layer?

That's about all, any input or advice is very appreciated. :)

Thanks

Re: Bioactive prep for AP T10

Quote Originally Posted by El. View Post
    Also, a question for folks who have these enclosures: how deep is the substrate ...
    I can't help on the bioactive question, but regarding the substrate, I also have an Animal Plastics T10, as well as a T8. I use cocohusk for substrate. And, I put in enough to cover the entire floor. Not a big deal if it's a little more, but I just make sure the entire floor is covered.
    0.1 Mexican Black Kingsnake (Tynee)
    0.1 BEL Ball (Luna)
    0.1 Sunglow Boa (Pippi Longsnake)
    0.1 Woma Python (Uma)

WANT LIST
    - Mangrove Snake

- Russian Rat Snake
    - Eastern Indigo
    - Black Milk Snake
    - False Water Cobra
    - Rhino Rat Snake
    - Thai Bamboo Rat Snake
    - Western Hognose
    - Kenyan Sand Boa

Thanks
    I built an 8 foot long enclosure and it is bioactive. I did not think the 4-5" of substrate was going to support the plants. I bought some cork rounds and planted my plants in them. I placed the plants in them and really compacted my bioactive soil and they have been holding up for 7-8 months now. My Boa has beat up a couple of the more delicate plants but they are holding on. The snake plants are very hardy. The pathos should do well also?

Look at the pictures in the last couple of posts

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...r-my-Boa/page2

Thanks
    Thanked 1,813 Times in 492 Posts

Can't say I have any practical experience with bioactive enclosures, but I've been doing quite a bit of research into them and can at least share what I know on that front.

First off: I'd recommend picking up a copy of The Arcadia Guide to Bio-Activity and the Theory of Wild Re-Creation by John Courteney-Smith of Arcadia Reptile if you haven't already. It's a good primer to building and maintaining bioactive enclosures.

Secondly: I'm going to tell you a few things you may not want to hear. Building bioactive enclosures -- particularly ones for larger snake species -- is hard. I'd actually compare it to building a marine reef tank (this is something I've actually done before). To get a bioactive enclosure to consistently thrive, you need a good working understanding of soil dynamics, plant lighting requirements, invertebrate population management, and the hardware to support all of that on top of your reptile husbandry. In the end, you're not building a herp enclosure as much as you're trying to build a planted terrarium that can withstand a continual beating from said herp. People like the Bio Dude and Arcadia Reptile are doing a great job making bioactive enclosures more accessible to average keepers -- both in terms of bioactive supply and keeper education - but the process still requires a little more finesse and effort than most keepers anticipate.

Now, for some of the specifics you asked about: a commonly-quoted substrate depth is around 1.5-2" of hydroballs and 4" of soil/substrate. The BioDude TerraFirma is advertised as not needing a hydroball layer, but I would personally still include one. If you don't, you'd really need to watch your soil and make sure it doesn't get oversaturated or too dry. So, plan on using at least 4-6" of substrate. I haven't heard anything about the long-term quality of TerraFirma, but I also haven't heard any negatives (apart from people griping about the price), so it sounds like a good substrate option if you're nervous about mixing your own soil/substrate.

With substrate of this depth, a heat pad isn't an option, so you'd want to get an RHP, CHE, or a deep-heat projector (DHP) for top-down heat instead. Be sure to regulate your heater with a thermostat, as always.

You're correct in assuming that you'd need more robust plants to stand up to your BP. A large dracaena may work, but the other plant you mentioned would eventually be crushed. Unfortunately, plants of this size wouldn't be able to fit in a T10. On top of the size of the plants themselves, they also have larger root systems, which require a deep soil layer (think 8" or more). The little LED strips commonly used to light enclosures wouldn't provide enough light for these plants, either -- though your average LED grow light from a hardware store probably would.

...I'm not saying all of this to put you off of ultimately building a bioactive enclosure, but I wanted to give you the heads-up. It's just not likely to work in something the size of a T10. That being said, you can outfit that T10 to be a very nice naturalistic enclosure for your BP! If you'd like to give her a more soil-type substrate, you could try something like the Lugarti natural reptile bedding or even TerraFirma on its own; sticking with a coconut-based substrate is fine, too. Give her a nice, medium-depth layer to excavate -- I'd personally use 3" for an adult BP, maybe 2" for a juvenile. If you go with a soil-type substrate, you could try adding a clean-up crew and some leaf litter as well. Just remember to keep the clean-up crew fed! From there, you could also add some real wood, real stone, and artificial plant accents for hides, sensory enrichment, and overall aesthetic. As you're picking these items, try to think of all the nice smells and textures you'd like to present to your BP! Finally, to cap it all off, you could add a naturalistic backdrop, should you wish.

Good luck! Oh, and if you'd like to build a miniature planted terrarium just for your inverts to practice your bioactive techniques... that wouldn't be a bad idea.
    0.1 Sonoran Boa sigma​: "Adelita" ('19 Hypo het. leopard)
    1.0 Boa imperator longicauda: "Kuzco" ('19 het. anery)
    0.1 West Papuan Morelia spilota​: "Pandora" ('20)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to WrongPython For This Useful Post:

aurum (12-01-2020)

Thanks

Hum... maybe I will just go with the mini bioactive practice set up sort of thing. I mean, I like plants, I like bugs, and I have a couple of empty little exo terras and accessories, so why not? I think I have some plant lights somewhere, too, just have to find them...

What would you think if just doing a clean up crew? No plants. Would the substrate still need to be as deep? I mean, I still have a CHE and fixture, I decided to just use the heat pad, but it wouldn't be hard to switch back.

I may look more into arid bioactive setups since I'm going to be building a wooden enclosure for my leopard gecko. That way I can make sure it's built to be able to accommodate such a set-up if I decide to go that route. The only other reptiles I have are kenyan sand boas, and bioactive doesn't seem to be the way to go when you have to dig through the substrate to find your critters :/

Anyways, thank you so much for the input. :)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    When the AP shows up next year, put it together. Then after it's where you want it place the other cage on topped of it. (I let the caulk cure for a week.) Then set it up. Use some of the stuff from the old cage for the new one.

With the old cage on top you have time an room. If you need a rack/table for the AP. Look at Home Depo an Lowes. They have tons of racks that can hold 2,000 lbs.

Good luck!
    Last edited by 303_enfield; 12-13-2020 at 12:28 PM.