Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,876

0 members and 2,876 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Exclamation Diy boa cage help!!!!!

Ok so i found this sony stereo cabinet at a thrift shop for $5. I want to convert it to a enclosure for my boa. Problem is i am not very handy. So i will need help lol. I need exact names of products needed ect. My idea was to remove the shelf, put a back on it, remove the glass door bc there are gaps she can get out of. Then i want to line the inside with linoleum and seal the seams with silicon. I want to put vents in as well and order a RHP. Now heres my main problem. How do i go about making a door? The glass is a bit small bc it fits inside the cabinet, could i make a frame from wood to fit the glass on and have hinges?? Or i had thought of making the frame from cloroplast since i wouldnt have to seal it. If i do use wood what type of sealant do i use thats safe? I tried to put a pic in but couldn't Thanks
    Last edited by Newtot; 11-29-2020 at 09:54 PM.

Thanks

Re: Diy boa cage help!!!!!

I am far from a DIY guy, so I can't help with the design, per se. BUT... where you said you wanted to use wood, maybe you want to look into PVC boards, which look nice, don't need sealing, and are fairly easy to work with. Not sure if it's easy for you to find them in your local area, or cost. Here in NY, Home Depot and Lowes carries it. And, a 8x4 sheet, 1/2 inch, is about $50.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    0.1 Mexican Black Kingsnake (Tynee)
    0.1 BEL Ball (Luna)
    0.1 Sunglow Boa (Pippi Longsnake)
    0.1 Woma Python (Uma)

WANT LIST
    - Mangrove Snake

- Russian Rat Snake
    - Eastern Indigo
    - Black Milk Snake
    - False Water Cobra
    - Rhino Rat Snake
    - Thai Bamboo Rat Snake
    - Western Hognose
    - Kenyan Sand Boa

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Charles8088 View Post
    I am far from a DIY guy, so I can't help with the design, per se. BUT... where you said you wanted to use wood, maybe you want to look into PVC boards, which look nice, don't need sealing, and are fairly easy to work with. Not sure if it's easy for you to find them in your local area, or cost. Here in NY, Home Depot and Lowes carries it. And, a 8x4 sheet, 1/2 inch, is about $50.
    Yea thats alot more than i wanted to spend. No more than id need. Hmmm
    Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Diy boa cage help!!!!!

The project you’re describing is one that requires a great deal of handiness to say the least. Unless you’ve got access to a number of power tools, saws, and essentially the ability to make a structurally sound and waterproof cabinet with glass doors I’d save yourself the headache and loss of cash into a money pit by purchasing a purpose built reptile enclosure instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jmcrook; 11-30-2020 at 12:16 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (11-30-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    The project you’re describing is one that requires a great deal of handiness to say the least. Unless you’ve got access to a number of power tools, saws, and essentially the ability to make a structurally sound and waterproof cabinet with glass doors I’d save yourself the headache and loss of cash into a money pit by purchasing a purpose built reptile enclosure instead.

I get what your saying but my dad is a master carpenter and im sure he would help, i have watched multiple youtube videos on what people have done but the door perplexed me. Im a single mom of 3 and cant justify spending hundreds of dollars on a cage when something can potentially be built for much cheaper.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

You said in a previous response that $50 is more than you want to spend. The RHP alone will be more than that before you even address the piece of furniture in question.

Thanks

I know how much RHPs are and i have money set aside for that. What i was refering to was the cost of one piece of melamine and i only need a small amount so it wouldnt make sense to buy an 8ft one and pay $50 for it.

Thanks

honestly in my opinion, it wouldn't be very smart to buy from a thrift store. especially if it's for 5 bucks! It might not be sturdy so make sure to have a replacement or back-up handy for the Boa. I don't really know how to help with the set-up but I would recommend watching some videos on how to do it on YouTube.
    Be kind, and inspire others to be kind.

Thanks

Yes i have watched quite a few videos on you tube and this that i have is quite sturdy and well be even more so whe ni put a back on it. It was $5 bc no one has those huge stereos anymore lol