Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,114

2 members and 3,112 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Food for a Nursing Female Rat

Just a quick question which I should have thought of earlier....is there anything different in the diet requirements of a nursing female rat? I would think of course she'd need more calories per day but should I offer anything in the way of "treats" to encourage a big, healthy litter that is getting lots of mom's milk? I also want to make sure the female is in good shape after she's done with weaning.

~~Jo~~
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Re: Food for a Nursing Female Rat

I don't do anything different than every day food...I keep food available to my rats 24/7 along with their daily morning vegetables. The only thing I do different is keep the food as full as possible so she can eat as much she wants/needs. Nursing can take alot out of them just keep food and water available and you will be fine.
    www.ASFRats.info African soft-furred rats information and exchange.

www.WarrenReptiles.com
    Website Hosting available see site for details

Thanks

Re: Food for a Nursing Female Rat

Good quality puppy food such as Nutro Puppy is good for pregnant and nursing mothers. You can get a 50lb bag of 12% protein sweet feed from the feed store for around $7. Make sure it doesn't have any whole corn in it. They love the molasses and the grain is good for them. Black oil sunflower seeds are good too, as are all sorts of cereals(no sugar). Some fruits and veggies are good, but too much can cause diarrhea. You can use frozen peas and corn, they love them, as well as some beans(lima, pinto). You can even put some of the dried split peas in their mix.

Hope that helps
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite