Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,893

1 members and 2,892 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

So ... what are they like? (handleability)

Hi

I've got a Ball Python and would love a milk snake too - they are so pretty. I've read a few posts on this forum to get some kind of idea what they are like temperament-wise - and it seems they are kind of bitey and not much liking human interaction.

So ... are they more likely than not to bite me? I've got an amazon parrot who bites like hell drawing copious amounts of blood when he gets hold of me when hormonal so think I have an irrational fear of being bitten. I guess snakes aren't quite that bad when it comes to biting.

Thanks

Re: So ... what are they like? (handleability)

Well.. BABY milksnakes are little horrid snots usually. My honduran milksnake is an absolute livewire.. but I fully expect her to tame as she grows. I have a california king that was the same way as a baby, but now she's tame as anything.

My baby albino nelson's milksnake is a doll. No bites or musking or anything.

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Thanks

I have a yearling Sinaloan who is as sweet as can be. He has never attemped to bite and has only musked twice... and that was because my husband didn't know how to hold him (trust me, he got yelled at for it). But now, he's good as gold.

I've also held baby Sinaloans. They never bit or musked, and were good little worms. So TINY though!

I guess I'm biased to Sinaloan Milksnakes.

Thanks

I've met some wild baby sinaloans.. I think pueblan milk snakes are much worse though.

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Thanks

Well maybe nippy as babies, not sure since we haven't picked up Emi yet, but who could resist this...............

05 Female Albino Nelson's Milksnake

~~Jo~~
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Thanks guys

Jo, I know, she is so gorgeous - I was drooling over a baby one of those in our local reptile shop only a few days ago ... what size viv do you eventually need for them? I guess the set-up for everything else i.e. humidity, temps is the same as BPs.

Thanks

Here's a caresheet that Shelby recommended to us.

http://www.reptileforums.com/care_sh.../milksnake.htm

Here's the link to the forum thread here at bpnet where care was discussed.

http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=26430

They seem pretty easy to care for though from all we've been told they are extreme escape artists so we are planning to be very careful about Emi's enclosure having extra measures to keep the little cutie in.

We have a 10 gallon right now for her though may start her in something smaller, than graduate up to the 10, then eventually to a 20 long for her lifetime. She'll have hides, water dish, something to climb around on and Beth has a nice decorative rock arch as well for Emi to slither through. We'll start her on papertowels and then go to aspen. We are still deciding which way to go for heat, either a lamp/heat bulb or underbelly whichever is best for her.

Too bad you are over in the UK. The fellow that bred Emi still has some left from the clutch hatched right after hers and he's a great guy to buy from but too far away for you LOL.

If you haven't checked out the normal Nelson's you should. They are gorgeous as well. Beth will be saving up next for a male normal het for albino to breed with Emi one day (they will of course be maintained seperately).

~~Jo~~
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Yuppers...that is my baby...Emi...i love her
    ~~~Beth~~~
    ~~0.1 Albino Nelson's Milksnake - Emi~~

Thanks

Thanks, Jo - I'll keep that link for them.

And yes, northerngirl, she is really beautiful

I've just realized something Beth is your daughter, Jo? That's really nice to have both on the one forum. I've been trying to get Kat (whose snake Emily really is) to come here, but she doesn't like computers much Ours at home isn't working for the internet at the moment (stupid thing) so I'll miss this forum over next couple of days.
    Last edited by Razaiel; 12-03-2005 at 06:46 AM. Reason: just realized ...

Thanks

Yep Beth is the younger of my two daughters and the soon to be owner of Emi the nelson's milksnake. Actually part of the agreement we made with Beth and my older son Luke about getting their own personal snakes was joining a reputable forum, asking good questions and acting in a mature manner in the forum (as well as saving up half the cost of their snake's purchase and getting good grades). We also have agreed to assist the kids with their snakes and foster the snakes when the kids go to college or whatever comes along down the road as teens can't always know what left turns life will suddenly take them on.

Beth's doing great and I'm proud as heck of her working hard to earn the responsibility of Emi. It is funny though that Beth's greatest dream about ball pythons is to own her very own Platty Daddy some day LOL. Seems I have my own little budding "RDR"! Wonder if I should warn Ralph to watch his back.....Beth's coming up fast!

Luke is still deciding which snake he would like and would be best suited to him so look for him joining the forum down the road too.

~~Jo~~
    ~~Joanna~~

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast