Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,850

2 members and 2,848 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cow Retics Size

Thanks
    Thanked 9,857 Times in 4,778 Posts

Re: Cow Retics Size

Quote Originally Posted by fancoll View Post
    Hi can you please tell me more about retics. I really like them but kinda not sure about them since everyone keeps telling me they are aggressive or very reactive with a very strong feeding response. I have been waiting for 8 years just so I have enough time and money to move out so I can own snake so I really want to learn more about retics from people. I take snake very seriously and not a pet and recognize its size can get real quick that is why I want to learn how to handle them.
    I only have one that is truly "aggressive", a pure super dwarf male. The rest simply have a strong food response, which is manageable with hook training.

These are not snakes you want to handle alone.

By "moving out" do you mean that you are moving into a rental or are you purchasing your own home? I can't recommend keeping a retic as a renter, as even landlords that are ok with snakes/caged pets will have an issue with you keeping a giant python on the property.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-24-2020),GoingPostal (11-24-2020),jmcrook (11-24-2020),Reinz (11-24-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    I thought I wanted a Retic years ago until I worked with a breeder. I got over it pretty quick. The rivers of daily to almost daily piss gets old. Some of the snakes were gentle, some insane, especially during breeding season.

I’m happy with my 8 foot Carpets and Boa.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-24-2020),CALM Pythons (12-30-2020),fancoll (11-24-2020),GoingPostal (11-24-2020),jmcrook (11-24-2020),Sonny1318 (11-24-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,816 Times in 11,840 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Reinz View Post
    I thought I wanted a Retic years ago until I worked with a breeder. I got over it pretty quick. The rivers of daily to almost daily piss gets old. Some of the snakes were gentle, some insane, especially during breeding season....
    Perhaps I was too subtle, but I was thinking about the clean-up when I posted about the reality of "living with one". Large enclosures get pretty messed up- personally, I wouldn't want that much constant clean up for ANY snake, just saying. It truly gets old- it's not 'fun'!

That's a GREAT idea for the OP to meet up with a responsible breeder of these; that's exactly what needs to happen next. All snakes have "pro's" & "con's"-researching them before buying is essential- especially with something like a retic, where you have a sizeable investment.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

fancoll (11-24-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    "Everyone" keeps telling you the downsides yet you're still trying to elicit a different answer? This is why people get in over their heads with snakes, & this is why the snakes end up getting re-homed or dumped. Experience with one B.P. does not prepare you for successfully keeping a retic- it just doesn't. Why rush into this? I don't understand why you're so fixated on only acquiring a retic? And you mentioned "moving out"- I hope you're aware of the difficulties in finding a place to live that allows such species, especially if you're renting, or sharing a place. And keep in mind that many places do not allow these to be kept at all (I'm talking about city, county & state laws too). And who's going to be your reliable safety back-up when the snake gets big? When snake-keepers get injured (or worse) it always makes for sensational headlines in the media & results in more bans for everyone else keeping snakes, responsible keepers too. None of us want to see that happen...do you understand that? It's one thing to admire a creature, but quite another to be able to LIVE with it. And "wisdom" is knowing the difference, before you get in over your head.

Yeah. I was thinking about retics because that is like the second most common big snake at the local pet store near my house after boa and they were beautiful but I guess now I need to reconsider my decision. A boa on the other hand looks much more reasonable for me to keep. I own my own condo so housing is not a problem for me. And you are right about the part that I need another person - I live alone and do not see myself living with anyone for another good few years so that is out of the picture. Most of my researches are from internet and youtube videos so I am definitely NOT rushing into getting a retic, I just generally has a very strong researching response LOL (been like this since I started doing my first research in middle school, I just really push myself to get to know more) and I feel like asking over here would not hurt at all. I really like your last two sentences tho because I did volunteer during my high-school/college days at shelter so I definitely WILL NEVER throw any of my pet away and just making sure that I can take care of a pet i'm getting. I just want you know that I am serious about snakes and not just throw this post out of impulsion. Thank you sir for knocking me on the head.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fancoll For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-24-2020),dakski (11-24-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    I only have one that is truly "aggressive", a pure super dwarf male. The rest simply have a strong food response, which is manageable with hook training.

These are not snakes you want to handle alone.

By "moving out" do you mean that you are moving into a rental or are you purchasing your own home? I can't recommend keeping a retic as a renter, as even landlords that are ok with snakes/caged pets will have an issue with you keeping a giant python on the property.
    I have my own condo so housing is no problemo but after doing more research (from internet and youtube video of course) I think that retic is definitely over my limit now. It is gonna be another few months or even years before I actually throw the cash out for my second snake. I need more researches and need to make sure that I am ready to take care of a bigger snake.
    Last edited by fancoll; 11-24-2020 at 02:17 PM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fancoll For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-24-2020),Spicey (11-24-2020)

Thanks

Yeah. I was thinking about retics because that is like the second most common big snake at the local pet store near my house after boa and they were beautiful but I guess now I need to reconsider my decision. A boa on the other hand looks much more reasonable for me to keep. I own my own condo so housing is not a problem for me. And you are right about the part that I need another person - I live alone and do not see myself living with anyone for another good few years so that is out of the picture. Most of my researches are from internet and youtube videos so I am definitely NOT rushing into getting a retic, I just generally has a very strong researching response LOL (been like this since I started doing my first research in middle school, I just really push myself to get to know more) and I feel like asking over here would not hurt at all. I really like your last two sentences tho because I did volunteer during my high-school/college days at shelter so I definitely WILL NEVER throw any of my pet away and just making sure that I can take care of a pet i'm getting. I just want you know that I am serious about snakes and not just throw this post out of impulsion. Thank you sir for knocking me on the head.
    Your local pet store sounds like more of a "bad influence". Remember that pet stores are in the business of SELLING you pets & supplies, not necessarily teaching you what you need to know. I mean, if you buy a snake that grows very large, they'll be selling you lots of food for it, right? And larger cages when it out-grows them. Or if you buy the "wrong" one, maybe you'll be back for another "dream snake". There are lots of beautiful snakes in the world: some are great to live with, others are not. Their appearance should not be your primary reason for owning them (IMO)- you want a snake you can work with safely & one you'll enjoy interacting with, & one that you can afford. By the way, I've been living with lots of snakes for some 35 years now. A boa would be a much better choice for you & more than enough challenge- even if you still think those retics are prettier. While some boas get quite large, others do not, so it's best to buy from a reputable breeder who can give you a much better idea of the ultimate size to expect, based on the adult breeder snakes they have.

I had a BCI (boa) for a number of years- she was a rescue- unwanted after changing hands many times in her first year of life, each time getting more afraid & biting everyone defensively. I was NOT looking to get a large boa or any new snakes- I already had a houseful- but when my vet asked me if I knew anyone who'd take her in & wouldn't be afraid of all her biting, I knew I had to try. I knew she was just stressed & terrified, and with some patience on my part, she turned into a total sweetheart that never bit me even once- though she wanted to for the first month or two. I had to teach her not to fear me, so at first, I cuddled her in a towel, without letting her look out- in that way, she learned my touch & scent were safe & not hurting her. We are "huge scary monsters" to a snake- remember that snakes rely on instincts, & normally anything that picks one up in the wild is a predator about to eat them. She wasn't mean, just defensive. Once she accepted me "sight unseen", I let her peek out & get used to seeing me- it didn't take very long then for her to completely trust me.

Snakes know us by scent & touch, they don't recognize us very well by vision alone- in fact, they're most likely to bite us when we approach them: usually out of fear, because they don't know we aren't a predator until we make closer contact so they can recognize us, or because they're thinking "prey?" and we potentially fit the image of "warm & wiggling". Listen, I love that you're doing research, & you sound like a caring pet owner...we always need more like you. I just don't want you to make a big mistake. Snakes can live a very long time, & it's horrible for them if they have to be rehomed, it's frightening & stress even affects their survival. Zoos get offers daily from people with snakes like retics that they can't live with any more- they nearly always say "no thanks".

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (11-24-2020),dakski (11-24-2020),fancoll (11-24-2020),GoingPostal (11-25-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Your local pet store sounds like more of a "bad influence". Remember that pet stores are in the business of SELLING you pets & supplies, not necessarily teaching you what you need to know. I mean, if you buy a snake that grows very large, they'll be selling you lots of food for it, right? And larger cages when it out-grows them. Or if you buy the "wrong" one, maybe you'll be back for another "dream snake". There are lots of beautiful snakes in the world: some are great to live with, others are not. Their appearance should not be your primary reason for owning them (IMO)- you want a snake you can work with safely & one you'll enjoy interacting with, & one that you can afford. By the way, I've been living with lots of snakes for some 35 years now. A boa would be a much better choice for you & more than enough challenge- even if you still think those retics are prettier. While some boas get quite large, others do not, so it's best to buy from a reputable breeder who can give you a much better idea of the ultimate size to expect, based on the adult breeder snakes they have.

I had a BCI (boa) for a number of years- she was a rescue- unwanted after changing hands many times in her first year of life, each time getting more afraid & biting everyone defensively. I was NOT looking to get a large boa or any new snakes- I already had a houseful- but when my vet asked me if I knew anyone who'd take her in & wouldn't be afraid of all her biting, I knew I had to try. I knew she was just stressed & terrified, and with some patience on my part, she turned into a total sweetheart that never bit me even once- though she wanted to for the first month or two. I had to teach her not to fear me, so at first, I cuddled her in a towel, without letting her look out- in that way, she learned my touch & scent were safe & not hurting her. We are "huge scary monsters" to a snake- remember that snakes rely on instincts, & normally anything that picks one up in the wild is a predator about to eat them. She wasn't mean, just defensive. Once she accepted me "sight unseen", I let her peek out & get used to seeing me- it didn't take very long then for her to completely trust me.

Snakes know us by scent & touch, they don't recognize us very well by vision alone- in fact, they're most likely to bite us when we approach them: usually out of fear, because they don't know we aren't a predator until we make closer contact so they can recognize us, or because they're thinking "prey?" and we potentially fit the image of "warm & wiggling". Listen, I love that you're doing research, & you sound like a caring pet owner...we always need more like you. I just don't want you to make a big mistake. Snakes can live a very long time, & it's horrible for them if they have to be rehomed, it's frightening & stress even affects their survival. Zoos get offers daily from people with snakes like retics that they can't live with any more- they nearly always say "no thanks".

Can you tell me more about BCI since you are hanging around here already. I will definitely do more researches but if I move from BP to BCI, what are the first things that you think I should focus on. I am pretty good with space in my house (even a 10 ft cage is no problemo cause I literally have nothing the place I suppose to put my sofa (dont judge me)) but even if I do intent to put a sofa over there, I still have a comfortable space for a 6 ft (maybe it will fit 8ft but that is self-debatable). How should I start to socialize the BCI? What should I do when they get nippy? (for bp I do not mind them being nippy since they are tiny and I handle my guy almost everyday now, but a bigger Boa is definitely different). I do not have any other pet now, "my" catto and doggo are not mine anymore but that is ok because they love my mom more than me now . I saw you saying that you wrap them around tower, do you do it for weeks until she trust you or just a few days until she calm down? And where do you take her when she is sick? This is important to me cause my pet is like my life (I legit cried for a good 15 - 30 minutes when my pet European mantis died saying I don't want a pet anymore and look where I am now haha ). I am quite familiar with caging and feeding after owning my ball for a while but are there any special thing I need to focus more when it comes to BCI? Please rain me with your 35-year of knowledge. I rather be seen as being dumb for now than dumb for life

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

https://beanfarm.com/products/the-mo...31177107636358
    Buy this book and read it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-24-2020),fancoll (11-25-2020),GoingPostal (11-25-2020)

Thanks
    No such thing as being dumb, or dumb questions- that's why this forum is here, to share our experience with those who have less of it. We all started as beginners, trust me.

Obviously a BCI needs a larger home, & also somewhat lower temperatures than your BP. They're much easier to feed (reliable) but don't over-feed them. They are slow-growing & it's best if you don't rush this. This also means that if you start with a neonate, you'll have a calm boa long before they're big enough for their bites to matter. The BCI I took in was only about 30" as a yearling when she came to me, but was so relentless about biting that she scared off even the snake-experienced vet tech who was her last owner prior to me. Her behavior was NOT typical for a boa, as I tried to say...she had been rehomed multiple times & probably mistreated & mishandled, so she got worse instead of better, without owners who were patient & understood her. First, she had a very bad start in life, plus she was a Mexican boa* (known for being more high-strung, especially when young). I thought she was quite beautiful- her coloration was dark with lots of iridescence. (*BCI come from different localities & have varying appearances etc.) If you get a 'baby' boa from a breeder, it will likely have been handled a little, & may never need a "towel"- it's just a technique to keep in mind, if you ever have a snake like that. It took about 2 months before my BCI no longer needed her towel. Every snake has their own personality-many never need that at all.

It's better to buy a snake from a reputable breeder than a pet-store, since pet-stores expose them to many others with mites & unknown diseases- and the stress of being shipped, sometimes multiple times before they get to you. The best way to "handle" a new snake is to take your time & have empathy...imagine how scary you are to them, at their comparably-small size, & do your best to communicate that they're safe with you. For one thing, snakes don't like to be out in the open- they feel exposed to predators & vulnerable- so while some might try to hold a snake at arm's length (to avoid a bite), I always cuddle them to me (mid-body) so they feel sheltered. That's why using a towel for that BCI was so effective...she felt safe in hiding, but at the same time, got familiar with my scent & touch, before she had to deal with seeing my "scary size". At first, she hissed up a storm from inside the towel-wrap, lol...but then she quit doing that.

Many times you can slip your hand under a hide where the snake is (or into a towel) & the snake won't perceive you to be the same threat as if you had removed their hide & they saw you coming at them. A pet store I used to frequent asked me now & then to help with assessing a snake they had- like one they couldn't sell because every time they took away the hide to show a customer, the snake was striking out trying to bite them & buyers would chicken out. This is nothing more than fear & self-defense, & when I slipped my hand under the hide & just picked up the snake, she was totally fine & never tried to bite. So you see, it helps to know some "snake psychology". They will have been handled a little before & they usually remember that, it's the "visuals" that frighten them. And remember, being re-homed is very stressful- they have no idea where the world as they knew it just disappeared to...can you imagine how scary that would be? Snakes know by how you touch & handle them if you're a friend or foe- never grab their head/neck to prevent a bite- it's as rude as if you put a choke-hold on your next-door neighbor instead of waving a cheery "hello". Supportive yes, but not too tight. How you hold them tells them a lot, & can either make them feel safe or more afraid if you do it wrong. Even when my BCI was fully grown, she didn't like being "rushed" when it came to picking her up. Now & then, she'd be in a "mood" & hiss up a storm when I approached: all I did was gently pet her coils (not "in her face") until she "remembered she knew me", stopped the hiss, & I just picked her up. She never turned to try to bite, ever. She just didn't like to be rushed, but once out, didn't want to go back into her enclosure, lol. (She liked to snuggle around me while I watched a movie.) When she was full-grown, it was a bit of a rodeo, getting her back in.

As far as vet care if a snake is sick, this might help: https://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (11-25-2020),fancoll (11-24-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Hey, you are at least asking around.

Every snake no matter what the species has its individual attitude, behaviors and level of predictability.

The list on this board of keepers that used to own the species and no longer do is long.

The most recent group that I remember is a trio and I was one of the three. Two of us had SD x Dwarf x mainland mixes that were males. The other had a pure SD female and male. I don't think any of us had a snake that was 3 years old and under 9 feet long.

My own personal experience was good up until the near 3 year mark. The snake started to exhibit what I would call male combative behavior as it aged. I was bitten 3 times. #1 was a young and scared defensive bite. #2 was not a scared situation but more of a "back off" situation.

The third bite was completely unexpected, however I knew the animal was becoming less tolerable. He showed "face off" behaviors and would not respond well to the hook.

This was the bite that put me on the path to re-homing him.

He went through the little fingers in some areas.

This was nothing compared to some bites people experience. However as a solo handler for the most part (wife and daughter not into it, son just not around much) I was very turned off by this.

A nine foot, slender male is plenty to deal with.

I will say he was one of the most beautiful snakes I've ever had. I actually loved him.

They are fascinating and IMO the most challenging snake you can own outside of hots.

What an animal!

They live 20+ years and grow. I'm a well established adult that can retire in 14th months. I'm probably a very good candidate to own a retic compared to a young adult with a lot of potential life changes coming.

I had a plan in place in the event things got ugly and I'm glad I did. I would never want to euthanize an animal for being what it is supposed to be, but some do not have that choice.

It is the reason I highly DO NOT recommend retics to anyone other than the completely dedicated keeper. Somebody who has help available, somebody that has the patience and time to constantly work with an animal that may have a 180 degree change in attitude.

Not all of them go the way of evil LOL, but many become unmanageable.

You can see the retic section on this board and discover all the coming and going keepers. I was one of them.

You can still have a large snake and not be stressed.

As others here have said, and as I have said, Boas and Carpet pythons are great.

You get size and beauty yet in almost every case no challenges.

8 foot plus carpet.

Nice, thick, male boa.

Choose wisely and good luck.
    Last edited by Gio; 11-24-2020 at 10:44 PM.

19. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-24-2020),dakski (11-25-2020),fancoll (11-25-2020),GoingPostal (11-25-2020),jmcrook (11-24-2020),Kam (11-25-2020),Sonny1318 (11-25-2020),WrongPython (11-25-2020)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast