Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,855

0 members and 2,855 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Ball python scratched in eye

Hey all, thanks for any help and guidance. Before I start just let me say I've had my ball python for years and I know that I shouldn't be live feeding. I KNOW that. Any research I've done on this issue I now have, devolve into a discussion about feeding live. I feed live, I know thats not ideal, please don't shame me or write anything about how I shouldn't be feeding live, it is what it is at this point I know I need to start going frozen.

That said...

My snake got scratched in the eye by a rat on my last feeding. There was some blood around the eye immediately but luckly I don't think it got the eye to bad. This happened on Thursday today's Tuesday almost a week later and it looks relatively good I think compared to other pictures I've seen of people pythons who have got hit in the eye. The photos I attached were just taken a few moments ago. From a side view you can barely see anything but straight on you can see some signs of trauma on the top side of the eye

Looking at it tonight I want to either get this thing to a vet or atleast put an eye safe ointment on it to help prevent infection. I Know a good step would be to get just newspaper in its tank and get the substrate out.. Ive never had the snake to a vet from what I researched from where I am in the Hudson Valley NY its like a 2 hour drive bith ways to get to a herp vet.

Any thoughts?

https://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/5/...71520710_o.jpg

https://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/5/...71520710_o.jpg

Thanks
    Just did some more research and Terramycin I guess is a good eye antibiotic for snakes... I was going to get some and just dab a lil on the eye... anyone think thats a bad idea?

Thanks

Ball python scratched in eye

He needs a vet, and that's that.

When you buy any sort of animal, you should already be prepared for the 2 hour drive it takes to get a vet.
    Last edited by olivv; 11-18-2020 at 10:11 PM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to olivv For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (11-18-2020),Sonny1318 (11-19-2020)

Thanks

Re: Ball python scratched in eye

Hey all, so thanks for the advice ~ i kinda knew as much.... I went ahead and got the snake to the vet today. Luckily i did find a great Herp Vet in the Hudson Valley ~ in Poughkeepsie, NY ( id write their name but i dont want to put them on blast ~ feel free to private message me if you want to know). I always kept fish in the past and going to the Vet with them was never an option so i guess i just got kind of used to doing stuff myself, the advice I got was absolutely right thou ~ you own a pet be ready to go to the Vet..... So some interesting things....

They did a "Exotic comprehensive exam"
    "Corneal Stain (flurorescein)"
    " Mandatory medical waste disposal (level 2) "
    and prescribed and send me home with "Ciprofloxacin Ophthalmic solution" eye drops

The exam went great, they said my snakes a very health 5.470 lbs and skin, and parts cloaca (butt) or whatever all looked very healthy ~ they asked me alot of questions about my husbandry which all seemed good and appropriate questions. They did an Corneal stain to see if the damage to the eye impacted to cornea i guess... luckily it didnt appear damaged here so they dont see a need to prescribe antibiotics at this point and just gave me eye drops to put in for the next 10 days. If anything changes of course im supposed to call/ check in .... I should be due for a shed pretty soon so im hoping it all goes well.

I'd say they had a great bedside manner with me. They advised of course to try to switch to frozen mice and offered advice to help train the snake to accept it. I asked if i should do anything special with humidity or substrate while im putting these eyes drops in ~ she said i was fine to leave the coconut fiber substrate in there and fine to leave the humidity where ive had it at like 70-80% said i didnt need to do anything special. Surprised me i was pretty sure they were going to tell me to put newspaper in. This particular Vet offers your first visit free so I only had to pay for the Corneal stain, waste disposal and eye drops so it was very very reasonable $75 was all I had to spend today otherwise it would have been $150 without the coupon ~ not to bad I thought. coupon was printable right on their website. It would be free to just bring your snake in for a checkup so anyone in the Hudson Valley Id recommend this Vet to highly.

Ill keep the thread updated to how my snake does in case anyone is interested. I very optimistic my snake wont lose the eye. Any thoughts or anything? please feel free to reply and everyone please send good vibes and luck..... thanks for reading.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ttbonemcbuna For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (11-21-2020),Luvyna (11-21-2020)