Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,855

1 members and 2,854 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Questions for RPH users

I recently upgraded my Boa's cage to an Animal Plastics T8. I got a VE RPH to heat it. My surface temps on the cage floor and under the hide for the warm side don't seem to go above 85f, but directly under the panel I have a thermometer and it reads 88f. Is that too hot of an air temp for her? Also, she refused to use a UTH. She doesn't like being under a hide(they are all appropriate sized hides), so I've found UTH's to be pretty useless fo her. The only "hide" she likes is a cork log I got her and she pokes her head out the top like a total goof. It's a full log though so a UTH wouldn't warm her up in it.

I have the same problem with my BP's new enclosure, but she is bigger than my baby Boa. So her hides are bigger too. Ground temps and under the hide are too low, but on top of the hide it's around 94-96f. Air temp is only 87f directly under that panel.

I have the probe placed right under the heat panel like VE instructs you to do (with the clip you screw on to hold the probe in place 2-3 inches beneath the panel).

So how do you guys get surface temps where you need them, while maintaining air temps that aren't too hot?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    If your boa doesn't like hides then put a low perch under the RHP and see if she uses it to bask.

If the top of the BP's hide is in the mid 90's then some of that heat will get transmitted under the hide, so the ambient there may be fine. I would be tempted to drop the thermostat on that one by a degree or so in case she decides to get up on the hide and hang out there, because the RHP will make her back too warm.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (11-15-2020)

Thanks
    What amount of time does 'recently' upgraded represent?
    What is a baby boa? How old? What type?

New keepers create issues by placing a baby boa in an enclosure that is too large.

An insecure baby boa can and will make choices based on security...not necessarily on proper body temperature.

Direct and even indirect lighting will influence their choices also.
    Last edited by bns; 11-15-2020 at 01:01 PM.