Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,845

0 members and 2,845 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question Feeding Size Questions for BP

Hi all, so my ball python currently weighs 150g and has been eating fuzzy rats from perfect prey (10-20g) i just ran out of my last fuzzy rat and only have rat pups (20-30g) left. Would it be ok/safe to switch him to the rat pups at his current weight, or do i need to order more of the fuzzy rats and wait until he is bigger to switch? *Trying to avoid having to order 10 fuzzy rats for more than $55* I only have 1 snake so I dont order a whole lot at one time but will order if I have to. I also have 5 rat pinkies left that I never used but im assuming feeding multiple of those isnt really a great option or practical for helping him grow.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

It wouldn't hurt to feed off the rat pinks in multiples for the few you have left.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

chloekitt (11-15-2020),Spicey (11-15-2020)

Thanks

Re: Feeding Size Questions for BP

ok i will do that before switching him to the big ones, would i just feed 2 at a time? also if he still doesnt gain much weight after those, am i still able to switch him to the bigger ones?

he has been consistently gaining small amounts of weight each week but has just slowed down/plateaued and he doesnt really seem to be gaining anything with the past 2 meals just staying at the same weight

Thanks
    Thanked 5,484 Times in 2,683 Posts

I’d go ahead and upgrade his prey size, just feed him the smaller rat pups first. I highly doubt they’re too large.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

chloekitt (11-15-2020),cincy (11-17-2020)

Thanks

I dont think they are too large the rat pups really dont look much bigger than the biggest part of him around, i just wasnt sure and didnt want to make it stressful on him. I feel like it would be more stressful for him to have to eat multiple small ones then one slightly big rat ?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,484 Times in 2,683 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chloekitt View Post
    I dont think they are too large the rat pups really dont look much bigger than the biggest part of him around, i just wasnt sure and didnt want to make it stressful on him. I feel like it would be more stressful for him to have to eat multiple small ones then one slightly big rat ?
    I feed my snakes multiple prey items on occasion and it doesn’t bother them at all. It’s just more efficient to feed one prey item imo. I only offer multiple prey for diversity, if another critter refuses food, or if I just want them to have a larger than normal meal. I like to mix up my snakes feeding schedules, prey types, and meal sizes.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-15-2020),chloekitt (11-15-2020)

Thanks

Oh that makes me feel better about it then because he is a really good eater, I didnt wanna ruin it by messing with his prey/schedule too much, thank you for the advice!

Thanks

As long as the prey size is about the same size as the biggest part of his body is round, I think it should be fine.

I remember switching my BP to rat pups, and how I was soooo nervous watching him eat it because it was so large for him! They should be fine, I think that they’d spit out the food if it was to big to consume. Just make sure to give them a good 2 days afterwards to digest!

You could also feed the pinkies! Just watch them afterwards, if they keep moving around and looking for more food feed them more.

My BP was eating 2-3 mouse hoppers when I sized up his food, I used up all of the mouse hoppers before I switched him too (because I only have one BP and I didn’t want to waste the money I spent on the mice haha)
    Last edited by MowgliPups; 11-15-2020 at 03:36 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MowgliPups For This Useful Post:

chloekitt (11-15-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chloekitt View Post
    ok i will do that before switching him to the big ones, would i just feed 2 at a time? also if he still doesnt gain much weight after those, am i still able to switch him to the bigger ones?

he has been consistently gaining small amounts of weight each week but has just slowed down/plateaued and he doesnt really seem to be gaining anything with the past 2 meals just staying at the same weight
    I'd probably feed 3 or 4 rat pinks IF he'll accept multiple items. (some snakes won't- most likely due to being more shy than hungry) Pinkies are more water than nutrition, they digest very easily. Yes of course you can still switch after you feed off the pinks- not to worry. You're only changing the size, & snakes pay a lot more attention to the scent. (rats have a different scent than mice)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MowgliPups View Post
    ...You could also feed the pinkies! Just watch them afterwards, if they keep moving around and looking for more food feed them more...
    I'd advise AGAINST doing this...you're inviting a regurgitation, because while pinks digest easily, the larger prey items won't- combined with a full tummy, the snake might easily up-chuck them all due to their digestive enzymes being over-taxed.

Also, you NEVER want to let much time elapse (more than 30 minutes) when feeding multiple items, for the very same reason: the first item is being digested, then there isn't quite enough digestive enzymes left for the later arriving one*, & back up it comes. You always want to avoid doing that which might cause the snake to regurgitate, because every now & then, they can even aspirate & die from this. Even if they don't, you won't be able to feed them again for 2-3 weeks while they recover (& regain enough enzymes). Okay? (*Keep in mind that digested prey moves on from the stomach, along with the enzymes used, so an item fed later cannot be digested.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast