Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,950

1 members and 2,949 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    I knew this would happen... ugh. Vet did that tube feed for nothing. Little guy regurged that as well.
    Last edited by Dinoanc; 11-17-2020 at 09:10 PM.
    1.0 Ball python (bananna pastel enchi) "PASTA"
    ?.? California kingsnake "DUTCH"
    1.0 Cornsnake (albino snow) "BUBBLEGUM"
    0.1 Ball python (piebald) "UMBRA"
    1.0 Borneo short tail python "SHAYMUS"
    1.0 Ball python (blade clown) "PICKLE"
    0.1 Ball python (Russo BEL) "TOOTHPASTE"
    1.0 Ball python (Albino pastave) "YOGURT"

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts

Re: Regurging baby kingsnake

Quote Originally Posted by Dinoanc View Post
    I knew this would happen... ugh. Vet did that tube feed for nothing. Little guy regurged that as well.
    It wasn't for nothing- it helps with diagnosis. Ideally snakes should only be tube-fed at home, since the stress of traveling & handling to & from vet can cause a regurgitation even if nothing else is wrong. (I've tube-fed snakes many times over the years- successfully...it's something I know a lot about.)

So sorry to hear this. How long did he keep it down? I mean, how long after he was settled back in his own home did he chuck it up?

Are you absolutely sure that his cage temps. are adequate, & that he has hides (at least one with warmth & one without) so he can digest in peace? And you weren't handling him after his meals?

Are you seeing any slight mid-body swelling? Does it still look like he might have eaten, even a small meal, & even after he has regurgitated?

This snake should be quarantined away from your other snakes. I HOPE you've never given any food that he first refused to any of your other snakes???
    Even if you cannot or will not keep him in a separate room from your other snakes, you should touch him or his cage last, then completely shower & change clothes before handling or touching any of the other snakes you keep, to prevent sharing what might be ailing him with any & all of your other snakes. Got it?

Let the vet know & please do keep us informed. I have a hunch but I hope I'm wrong.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 11-17-2020 at 10:05 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I have a hunch but I hope I'm wrong.
    I think we have the same hunch.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-17-2020)

Thanks
    He doesn't reject meals, he still has an appetite. I'm not dumb enough to go and feed his food to someone else. Thats idiotic.

He's looking real thin to me i track weights and he's losing now, down to 16g from 20 (the vet is aware, says his body condition doesn't look awful yet). He kept the liquid diet in 24hrs at least- it wasn't there when I left for work this morning. I put him on paper towel so I could monitor this. I havent held him either, only very briefly when I transported him home from the vet. I'm not comfortable tubing a snake that small, even if I knew how to begin with. I've got a thermostat on his heat mat set to 86f, and I also checked with my temp gun and didn't get a different number. Unless 86 is too low or high, I think his enclosure should be fine. He's got 2 hides and and plants to hide himself in. He loves burrowing too though thats temporarily been taken away from him.

Thanks
    Unfortunately I can't move him from my room, my father doesn't like them, but I am thoroughly washing before I interact with anybody else. He's also on the complete opposite side of the room from my other snakes.
    Last edited by Dinoanc; 11-17-2020 at 10:33 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Dinoanc For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-17-2020)

Thanks

He doesn't reject meals, he still has an appetite. I'm not dumb enough to go and feed his food to someone else. Thats idiotic.

He's looking real thin to me i track weights and he's losing now, down to 16g from 20 (the vet is aware, says his body condition doesn't look awful yet). He kept the liquid diet in 24hrs at least- it wasn't there when I left for work this morning. I put him on paper towel so I could monitor this. I havent held him either, only very briefly when I transported him home from the vet. I'm not comfortable tubing a snake that small, even if I knew how to begin with. I've got a thermostat on his heat mat set to 86f, and I also checked with my temp gun and didn't get a different number. Unless 86 is too low or high, I think his enclosure should be fine. He's got 2 hides and and plants to hide himself in. He loves burrowing too though thats temporarily been taken away from him.
    While using paper towels, you can just crumple some paper towel to put inside his hide to make it cozier, so he feels more like he's burrowing.

You'd be surprised how many ppl do re-offer food items to their other snakes, so I just wanted to make sure. Others read this to learn also.

I was reading "between the lines" & sorta figured he kept the liquid food down for a while. You'll be getting back with the vet, I assume. I hope the medication he was given works, time will tell.

So far as I can tell, it's nothing that you've done wrong or incorrectly.

Thanks
    Well... its been 2 weeks since the last feeding. Went with the vet's plan and fed him. And it's not good. I cut the head off a pinkie and fed that to him and it did not stay down. He's skin on bones now. Still keeping his appetite, but there's nothing I can do to help him keep the food down. Is there anything I can give him to get some kind of nutrition?

Thanks

Well... its been 2 weeks since the last feeding. Went with the vet's plan and fed him. And it's not good. I cut the head off a pinkie and fed that to him and it did not stay down. He's skin on bones now. Still keeping his appetite, but there's nothing I can do to help him keep the food down. Is there anything I can give him to get some kind of nutrition?
    So very sorry- you need to talk with the vet at this point- any test results? Maybe he was tube-fed too much? but you're not up to doing that at home, right? That's the easiest for a snake to digest- and if that regurge had been related to the travel from the vet's office, it likely would have happened much sooner than it did. I'm sorry, but it's not looking good. You never answered me before, is there any slight mid-body bulge visible? (-like a small meal that never happened?) Not seeing the snake, it's not for me to guess. Call the vet back.

Thanks
    There's no bulge at all, he's slim all the way down. We didnt tube feed him this time, vet told me to cut the head off a pinkie and feed him at home. I have not handled him or interacted with his cage at all since the feeding.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dinoanc For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-30-2020)

Thanks