Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,920

2 members and 2,918 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Asian Rat Snakes - Thoughts? Opinions?

BPs are fun, enjoy my boas, and colubrids are cool. I just love snake keeping in general. The more I get, the more I want. I've tried to pace myself with new acquisitions, but I always feel that the hobby isn't intense enough. The big problem is I live in Mass and for most of the year it's just too cold in my house for a rack system, and I'm never going to win the fight with my wife for a snake room. We all know how long AP takes to ship out orders, that and the foot print of T8s limits my ability to acquire more snakes more quickly. Which leads me to....

Asian Rat snakes. They are gorgeous, the mandarin and the Thai Bamboo particularly so. They're small, readily available, breed easily (so they say), and best of all thrive in colder conditions. My research indicates that a daytime low of 70 F, and nighttime drop to 68 F would be fine. That's pretty much the ambient temps in my house, which means I could easily maintain a rack system of Asian rat snakes. I could have as many as I want. I could breed them and have my own "projects". It sounds too good to be true, and it is! Because everyone says Asian rat snakes are flighty-bitey-bastards. That's a serious drawback because I love handling. Now, I expect young animals to be on edge and maybe tag me a few times, but they learn and grow out of it. But keeping a colony of creatures that'll never calm down and always be looking to light me up, that doesn't sound like the way I want to progress in this hobby. Why do I want to get bit every time I spot clean or change water?

So what do people think? Am I mislead about these animals temperaments? Does anyone have personal experience with Asian rats? Any advice? Thanks all!
    \m/

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I can't offer any advice since I have no experience with asian rats.

Just wanted to stop in and say good to see you around the forum!

We certainly can't complain about the weather in MA so far. I'm loving it! Windows open, haven't turned on the heat yet!!

Good luck with your research! They're beautiful animals!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (01-23-2021)

Thanks
    Yeah, it's been really nice lately. The past weekend was phenomenal. Thanks!
    \m/

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    I've kept & raised Taiwan Beauty rat snakes in the past, & didn't find them terribly hard to handle- they're quick but I had very few nips since I raised mine from hatchlings. I had no bites from the adults I raised. As with any snakes, you want to be clear about what is or is not incoming food, since they have a good long "reach". If you like lengthy arboreal snakes, consider these.

The only other Asian species I've worked with are Korean rat snakes, & I cannot recommend them- at least not based on my pair. They stay fearful & flighty, & will bite if restrained (held) for more than they want, which is usually not long. I can pick up my 5' male when I need to clean his cage, & he happily slides into a pillowcase while I work, & back out again once I've finished. But he always acts like a wild snake when we do this, as if we've never met. He's also a somewhat shy feeder- it took years before he'd grab prey from my tongs, even from the safety of his hide. I used to have to leave f/t food on a "plate", turn out the lights & check back in the morning. Not a good "pet" IMO.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

JRLongton (11-09-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Re: Asian Rat Snakes - Thoughts? Opinions?

How about a Rhinoceros rat snake !?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-09-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    How about a Rhinoceros rat snake !?

Uniquely beautiful for sure, but how are they to keep, as pets? More info needed.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Uniquely beautiful for sure, but how are they to keep, as pets? More info needed.
    Flawless .. easy to keep , calm and nice to handle .. stunningly gorgeous.. they do love to climb so plenty of branches .. great eaters .. love to soak which surprised me .

If mine was soaking on feed night I’d just dangle the thawed mouse over the water surface and he ate it underwater !!

Thanks

Two old pix

One freshly shedded the other showing him eating under water !!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-09-2020)

Thanks
    To be fair I wasn't actually considering Rhinoceros rat snakes, but I'll need to look into this. Thanks for the suggestion!

Yeah, not quite what I was thinking. The thing is, rhino rats seem to need those higher temps, which I can't do with a rack. If I got another PVC enclosure (and I have one on order with AP but waiting...) then perhaps I could do a rhino. But those Asian rats prefer the lower temps that I can more easily provide without PVC enclosures. I can get a lot and maintain them inexpensively. But if they are flighty-bitey-monsters, then I'd prefer not to.
    Last edited by JRLongton; 11-09-2020 at 05:26 PM.
    \m/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JRLongton View Post
    To be fair I wasn't actually considering Rhinoceros rat snakes, but I'll need to look into this. Thanks for the suggestion!

Yeah, not quite what I was thinking. The thing is, rhino rats seem to need those higher temps, which I can't do with a rack. If I got another PVC enclosure (and I have one on order with AP but waiting...) then perhaps I could do a rhino. But those Asian rats prefer the lower temps that I can more easily provide without PVC enclosures. I can get a lot and maintain them inexpensively. But if they are flighty-bitey-monsters, then I'd prefer not to.
    The bonus with Rhino Rats that I found was that as well as ticking all the boxes I mentioned they are seemingly active 24/7 and never seemed to hide away out of sight -great as they’re so beautiful

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-09-2020),JRLongton (11-10-2020)