Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,081

2 members and 3,079 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Estimating clutch size

Hi all,
    Im hoping to get my first clutch in the upcoming months from my lavender het pied girl and had a question about possible clutch size. After palpating I can feel 6 nickel sized follicles all more toward the right side of her body. Is the number of follicles palpated a general estimate for how many eggs will follow after ovulation or is that variable?

Thanks

Estimating clutch size

Usually the number of follicles you feel is how many eggs you’ll get. I bred 4 females last year and I was able to predict the clutch sizes that way.

However, just because you feel that many follicles doesn’t mean you’ll get that many healthy eggs. One female palpated 4, went on to lay 3 good eggs and 1 slug.

I also had one of my females where I could only feel 8 or 9, and she ended up laying 10 healthy eggs for me. All 10 babies hatched out and have all taken 1-2 meals. I think that was just due to how many follicles she was growing in her. Her eggs were pretty small and the babies all hatched out at around 40-50 grams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by trnreptiles; 11-09-2020 at 01:47 AM.
    I'm a very enthusiastic young hobbyist that is excited to see what the future brings!

Thanks

Re: Estimating clutch size

Quote Originally Posted by trnreptiles View Post
    Usually the number of follicles you feel is how many eggs you’ll get. I bred 4 females last year and I was able to predict the clutch sizes that way.

However, just because you feel that many follicles doesn’t mean you’ll get that many healthy eggs. One female palpated 4, went on to lay 3 good eggs and 1 slug.

I also had one of my females where I could only feel 8 or 9, and she ended up laying 10 healthy eggs for me. All 10 babies hatched out and have all taken 1-2 meals. I think that was just due to how many follicles she was growing in her. Her eggs were pretty small and the babies all hatched out at around 40-50 grams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Agreed this year i felt 5 and 6 follicules on my females and they laid 6 and 7 so there was one i missed each time I palpated.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MattEvans For This Useful Post:

trnreptiles (11-11-2020)