Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,865

1 members and 2,864 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    She is striking so your halfway there. I'd wait two weeks before trying again, hunger works wonders. Now, try smaller prey it might work.

Good luck!
    Last edited by 303_enfield; 11-10-2020 at 09:16 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 303_enfield For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (11-10-2020)

Thanks

Re: Very feisty and very stubborn piebald.. advice??

Welp, braining didn't work for her either so I'm leaving her alone for another week. I do believe she's getting hungry, she's been out and about more than usual.

I did what was suggested and made sure that thing was HOT. I took it's temp and I believe it was 109 or something. No dice. Couldnt try the hide thing because she was out and about her enclosure. If she doesn't take next week I might try low sodium chicken broth just once.

Anyways, pic for you all of angy gorl sniffin for rats. I've been covering her tank as of late too because she gets so upset that she strikes at the glass if I walk by.
    1.0 Ball python (bananna pastel enchi) "PASTA"
    ?.? California kingsnake "DUTCH"
    1.0 Cornsnake (albino snow) "BUBBLEGUM"
    0.1 Ball python (piebald) "UMBRA"
    1.0 Borneo short tail python "SHAYMUS"
    1.0 Ball python (blade clown) "PICKLE"
    0.1 Ball python (Russo BEL) "TOOTHPASTE"
    1.0 Ball python (Albino pastave) "YOGURT"

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Cover the glass with paper for now. Wait two weeks before you try to feed again. Thaw the rat out in a sandwich bag. It won’t get as wet. An as I typed before try smaller prey.

Good luck!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 303_enfield For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (11-12-2020)

Thanks
    I think we are getting close, this attempt was noticeably different from the last.

I heated the food in water, a rat fuzzy, in a plastic bag to keep it from getting wet.
    After thawing I set it outside the enclosure for about 10 minutes just to let the scent get in the air. She didn't come out searching, however my boys with nearby enclosures came out looking.

After the 10 minutes passed I blasted the rat with a hair dryer. It was like 115f when I got ready to offer.
    Usually, the feeding ends quickly because she immediatly starts defensive striking, not acknowledging its a rodent at all. This time, her tongue flicked with interest and she was tracking it with her head as i danced with it. She even gradually got close and took a sniff multiple times, however to my surprise she turned away and would act scared of it. Until I reheated it and then she would repeat sniffing it and then getting really close to it's face. We did this three times before I called enough is enough, took it out and closed up her cage. I think hunger is finally getting past her stubbornness.
    Last edited by Dinoanc; 11-23-2020 at 12:58 AM.

Thanks
    I think next week I'm going to pick up a mouse and try that. Her last live meal was a mouse so maybe the frozen one would tempt her. She was never picky between rat and mice when they were live so hopefully if she's taking frozen mice it'll only take a couple feeds to get on frozen rats.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dinoanc View Post
    I think we are getting close, this attempt was noticeably different from the last.

I heated the food in water, a rat fuzzy, in a plastic bag to keep it from getting wet.
    After thawing I set it outside the enclosure for about 10 minutes just to let the scent get in the air. She didn't come out searching, however my boys with nearby enclosures came out looking.

After the 10 minutes passed I blasted the rat with a hair dryer. It was like 115f when I got ready to offer.
    Usually, the feeding ends quickly because she immediatly starts defensive striking, not acknowledging its a rodent at all. This time, her tongue flicked with interest and she was tracking it with her head as i danced with it. She even gradually got close and took a sniff multiple times, however to my surprise she turned away and would act scared of it. Until I reheated it and then she would repeat sniffing it and then getting really close to it's face. We did this three times before I called enough is enough, took it out and closed up her cage. I think hunger is finally getting past her stubbornness.

Was she UNDER a hide ??
    Dim / lighting ?
    Again mine will disappear as soon as the main lights are switched on ..

Most of mine will only strike from the security of a hide and drag it back under to eat ..
    Sadly sometimes it will take 6 or 7 reheats with a hairdryer but they do get more and more interested each time ... just when you are at the point of giving up - try a couple more times ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Spicey (11-24-2020)

Thanks
    I have won the battle! My girl took her first frozen meal.

Steps that I took to tempt her: I bought a live mouse to prepare myself for a prekilled feed. I unthawed a mouse (I did rats before when she was rejecting food) in warm water and placed the live one in the cage inside its cardboard box. I did this hoping she'd scent him and get hungry.

When the frozen was completely unthawed, I warmed it even further with my hair dryer. Then when it was present to her, she took it almost instantaneously. I covered her cage up quick with a towel and let her eat in peace. I'm so happy! This has been a battle I've been trying to fight since April!
    Last edited by Dinoanc; 11-29-2020 at 05:50 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dinoanc View Post
    I have won the battle! My girl took her first frozen meal.

Steps that I took to tempt her: I bought a live mouse to prepare myself for a prekilled feed. I unthawed a mouse (I did rats before when she was rejecting food) in warm water and placed the live one in the cage inside its cardboard box. I did this hoping she'd scent him and get hungry.

When the frozen was completely unthawed, I warmed it even further with my hair dryer. Then when it was present to her, she took it almost instantaneously. I covered her cage up quick with a towel and let her eat in peace. I'm so happy! This has been a battle I've been trying to fight since April!
    Hurrah for her , for you and the hairdryer trick !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12