Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 302

3 members and 299 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Bodega_los (35)

» Stats

Members: 69,625
Threads: 243,996
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Schneckle87
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Anything I'm missing on this regurg/vomit?

I moved him last week to a small 6L tub to help with his security and temperatures. Small flower pot hide, water bowl, UTH. It's 55-60% humidity and UTH has the bottom of the hide at exactly 90 for 1/3 the bottom of the tub, air temperatures 75-85 across the gradient. But he refused a 5g live fuzzy last night and his weight is down to 50g. Not sure what else to do

Thanks
    Thanked 10,299 Times in 6,566 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tempo36 View Post
    I moved him last week to a small 6L tub to help with his security and temperatures. Small flower pot hide, water bowl, UTH. It's 55-60% humidity and UTH has the bottom of the hide at exactly 90 for 1/3 the bottom of the tub, air temperatures 75-85 across the gradient. But he refused a 5g live fuzzy last night and his weight is down to 50g. Not sure what else to do
    Not sure I'd have moved him to a different set-up...that alone is scary, disorienting & can put a snake off-feed. But he's there now, so I hope it works out for him.
    This is why we nag everyone to set up & actually test their enclosures for at least a week before any creature moves in- it's stressful for them when you have to re-do things & they're still afraid of you on top of the fact that "their world" keeps inexplicably changing.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (11-20-2020),dakski (11-20-2020)

Thanks

It wasn't my first choice either, but based on the reading I'd done, including some of the stickies here, a 30G terrarium seemed too large for a 60g baby. For what it's worth, the reptile store I purchased him from talked me into the larger terrarium and as a new owner I didn't argue the point.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,299 Times in 6,566 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tempo36 View Post
    It wasn't my first choice either, but based on the reading I'd done, including some of the stickies here, a 30G terrarium seemed too large for a 60g baby. For what it's worth, the reptile store I purchased him from talked me into the larger terrarium and as a new owner I didn't argue the point.
    I understand. And that's a very common situation, btw- listening to & believing the retail sales pitches- most stores put profits way ahead of expertise, if they even have expertise. Many don't.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (11-20-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,983 Times in 2,984 Posts
    Blog Entries

As Bogertophis said, what's done is done.

Absolutely leave him alone for a week and then offer again.

Did we go over the steps of properly defrosting and offering prey? If not, I will post.

If so, just follow those steps and offer again in a week.

No taking him out. Leave him be.

If he doesn't take the F/T you might have to offer live to get him going again. That's a last resort, but honestly, you are getting close to that.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-20-2020)

Thanks

I've never used f/t on him because the reptile shop that sold him to me said he'd only taken live prey to that point and I wanted to first get him to take food in his new home before I tried to transition him to f/t. Unfortunately, by timeline he arrived here at ~60g on Oct 17th, took a small adult and fully digested it on 10/22, took another small adult on 10/28 but vomited up the hindlegs on 10/31. Since then he was rested until 11/11 and has refused live large-fuzzy or small hoppers on November 12th and 19th. He's down to 50g and has noticeable wrinkling along the last 1/3 of his body length.

The only handling has been when I needed to refill with clean water. Otherwise he's in his tub which is in a terrarium and is in a room out of the way so gets no foot traffic.

At this point I'm fine with any feeding option, but I feel like at 50g he's dangerously low weight. He seems very chill in his tub. Spends some time in his hide, some time outside his hide.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12