Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,397

1 members and 2,396 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Long absent but glad to be back!

It has been a long time since I posted here, but I've turned the corner and hope to be an active member of this forum again.

I had one of those boring office type jobs with significant down time and thus allowed me to be active with online communities like this one. Then I got laid off for a while and just didn't have the time to post and be involved. I was always either looking for work or too preoccupied with the stress of unemployment to contribute to online communities, though day drinking was a factor as well. I was temporarily employed at a high stress hectic job that lasted only until March. Then things happened, you all know what I mean, and it was right back to day drinking. Thankfully that's all over. I'm back in steady employment in a boring office type job with significant down time, basically exactly what I had been doing for years prior. So, I once more have time to interact with all the good people who frequent this site, where I can benefit from advice and maybe dispense some of my own.

In the interim I have gained two more members of my reptile family. I picked up a Boa imperator (Barranquilla locality) who is a perfect peach of a snake. Her name is Electra. I thought my Hog Island was chill and friendly, but Electra is even more so. My wife has taken to kissing her on the mouth. You can pet her head, scratch (gently of course) her face, keep her out for long stretches, stress is just not in Electra's vocabulary. She is only five months old, but I almost can't wait for her to grow. She will be the perfect shoulder snake.

On the polar opposite is Kalista, my newly acquired Boa imperator longicauda. In my few years of snake keeping I'd been bitten only twice, both times were my own stupid fault. I'd been pooped on (by snakes!) more times than bitten. That all changed with Kalista. She must have tagged me five times in our first handling session. Interestingly, she seemed to know I was looking at her and didn't like to be looked in the eyes. She'd stare daggers as long as you held her gaze and breath rapidly waiting to strike. She's only four months old and I've had her about a month now. In that time she has calmed considerably. It took some work and patience, but I can take her out and have positive interactions. She's still skittish and reacts with fear at any sudden movement, or anything unexpected, but we're getting there. I'll work with her, earn her trust and enjoy her all the more for it.

I'll post pics when I can. I'm very unsophisticated with photography.

Glad to be back. Missed you guys!
    \m/

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JRLongton For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-30-2020),jmcrook (10-30-2020),richardhind1972 (10-30-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts
    Welcome back, I'm so glad things are working out for you again. It's been rather quiet on this site so I don't imagine you're the only one that's been having to deal with issues.
    I'm sure that our "Bite Club" will welcome your blood & gore photos with Kalista when you get around to them, no perfection needed, lol.

I know what you mean about how some snakes object to our "eye contact". I have a mature Korean rat snake like that, & one still-nervous yearling Florida rat snake that's still very "shy", but most of my snakes are fine with eye contact- it's funny how different some can be. I hope Kalista continues to out-grow her paranoia though, otherwise you might need an eye shield. Good idea anyway, even now.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 10-30-2020 at 12:54 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (11-01-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,898 Times in 2,993 Posts

Re: Long absent but glad to be back!

Welcome home !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Welcome back!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,813 Times in 492 Posts

Welcome back!

Fellow longicauda owner here. I can testify that longicauda definitely seem to be a little more shy and skittish compared to some other Boa localities, at least while they're young. My longicauda is much more shy and reserved compared to my Sonoran. He's still sweet at heart, though, and hasn't tried to tag me since I pulled him out of his shipping bag. If your girl is only four months old, there's definitely a bit of extra baby shyness in play. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    0.1 Sonoran Boa sigma​: "Adelita" ('19 Hypo het. leopard)
    1.0 Boa imperator longicauda: "Kuzco" ('19 het. anery)
    0.1 West Papuan Morelia spilota​: "Pandora" ('20)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Welcome back!
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.