Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,216

1 members and 3,215 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Using mostly cool hide, hasn’t poop since last feeding.

You wanna pay attention to shed cycles. Snakes will go "blue" (clouded eyes and grayish overall appearance) for only a few days and then clear up. The actual shed takes place a few days after having cleared. In fact they often look pretty good just before actually shedding. You may think you missed it when in fact it's impending. So from the time you see the snake "go into blue" until you have a shed skin in hand, don't feed. Rather keep humidity high and leave her alone. Having said that, I'd go ahead and feed a good meal as previously suggested, and keep humidity elevated for a few days, just in case.

Most of all, don't stress and over think. Rather enjoy.
    \m/

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JRLongton For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-30-2020),Craiga 01453 (10-30-2020),Zincubus (10-30-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts

Re: Using mostly cool hide, hasn’t poop since last feeding.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdrum6 View Post
    ...So if her eyes aren’t cloudy, then she’s good to be fed tonight then? ...
    As JRLongton just explained, she might have gone back to "clear" just before shedding, but even if that's the case, she's fine to feed at this point. I sometimes miss noticing a shed cycle for one of my many snakes, & after feeding them, the next thing I know is their added girth from the meal helped them bust out of their "old clothes" LOL! It's as if they popped the buttons on their shirt...

Once they go back to "clear", they're pretty much beyond the hydration issue, since the skin is about ready to come off. When everything is working right, what happens is that their body actually secretes some moisture between the old & new skin...that's why a fresh shed will sometimes feel slightly damp if you get right to it, even if they didn't soak in their water bowl. It's that bit of moisture that makes their skin appear to be "clear" (normal), just like the way you can see thru some kinds of paper when it gets damp. And that's also why they don't always "multi-task" very well...digestion takes water from their body too, so shedding while digesting can cause a shortage. Not all snakes are equally affected, some have more trouble than others, but if you've ever had to help a snake shed when their skin is only coming off in a zillion tiny bits, it's not something you want to repeat if you can help it.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (10-30-2020),JRLongton (10-30-2020),Zincubus (10-30-2020)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Agreed, hold off on feeding until post shed.

It sounds like you could benefit from doing a bit more research on your pet. Knowing about shed cycles and proper sized meals should have occured before bringing the animal home.

I'm not knocking you, we see this far too often. But the more we know about our pets the better we can care for them. I think too many people read a few care sheets (many of which are outdated) and think "ok I got this". But that's just barely scratching the surface of what we should know about our pets. They rely on us to give them the quality life they deserve.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (01-23-2021)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12