Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,084

0 members and 2,084 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

RHP and heat tape/flex tape

I posted about a week ago asking about probe placement for the RHP in my guy's new AP T8. I've tried several placements and temperature settings, but for the cool end to be at least 78, my warm end gets up to 95 or higher. I think I need to put something on the cool end to help bring that temperature up a tidge. I see mentions of heat tape or flex tape. couple of questions. I'd want to put that on a thermostat also correct? where would probe placement for that be? in between the tape and the cage, or inside the cage?. Also, could I use an UTH, but just put it on the outside wall as opposed to underneath?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    On a T8 the area for flex an thermostat is routed out. On the bottom/underneath. For heat tape, flex tape the thermostat goes on top of the tape.

How are are you taking the temp on the cold side? If your rooms temp stays above 70 a heat panel (40 watt or so) works for a T8.

Good luck!

Thanks

Re: RHP and heat tape/flex tape

Quote Originally Posted by 303_enfield View Post
    On a T8 the area for flex an thermostat is routed out. On the bottom/underneath. For heat tape, flex tape the thermostat goes on top of the tape.

How are are you taking the temp on the cold side? If your rooms temp stays above 70 a heat panel (40 watt or so) works for a T8.

Good luck!

by on top, do you mean on the outside of the heat/flex tape, or in between the tape and the cage? Our room temp is only above 70 in warmer months, as long as we aren't' sleeping. We (My boyfriend) cools it to 68 or lower because he is part polar bear. I have a couple of digital thermometers set up so I can check them at a glance and I double check with my infrared thermometer.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    If you look at the bottom of the T8 (the part that sits on the stand/table, you'll see the routed area. You would place the thermostat in the hole (routed area) then the flex/heat tape an secure the flex/heat tape with HVAC foil tape.

Look here an you see the routed area an how to set the heat tape up:

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...-With-Pictures!

What wattage heat panel are you using?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 303_enfield View Post
    If you look at the bottom of the T8 (the part that sits on the stand/table, you'll see the routed area. You would place the thermostat in the hole (routed area) then the flex/heat tape an secure the flex/heat tape with HVAC foil tape.

Look here an you see the routed area an how to set the heat tape up:

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...-With-Pictures!

What wattage heat panel are you using?

Had to dig through my e-mails to find the answer because I couldn't remember. Pro Heat recommended a 75 watt so thats what I got. I was afraid I would run into this issue with not being able to regulate the temps well because our room does get so cold

Thanks

I have a few T8s all using 75w RHPs from Pro-Panel, and they are also in rooms that can get "cold", relatively speaking. Something you can try; add more stuff. With RHPs you're really relying on the objects inside the enclosure to radiate heat in order to raise the ambient temp. I use aspen substrate and find that it doesn't really radiate much heat, which isn't surprising as wood is a poor heat conductor. What really helps is adding rocks, plastic hides, anything that warms up and radiates heat well, but I find rocks work best. Rocks have the added benefit of helping to raise humidity as well. When my BPs go into shed, I mist the enclosure down and drench the rocks. They will absorb a bit of moisture and take longer to dry than the aspen, thus giving more steady humidity for longer.

Add a few rocks around the enclosure, give it 24 - 48 hours and post an update. I'll bet you'll see results.
    \m/

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JRLongton For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (10-30-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JRLongton View Post
    I have a few T8s all using 75w RHPs from Pro-Panel, and they are also in rooms that can get "cold", relatively speaking. Something you can try; add more stuff. With RHPs you're really relying on the objects inside the enclosure to radiate heat in order to raise the ambient temp. I use aspen substrate and find that it doesn't really radiate much heat, which isn't surprising as wood is a poor heat conductor. What really helps is adding rocks, plastic hides, anything that warms up and radiates heat well, but I find rocks work best. Rocks have the added benefit of helping to raise humidity as well. When my BPs go into shed, I mist the enclosure down and drench the rocks. They will absorb a bit of moisture and take longer to dry than the aspen, thus giving more steady humidity for longer.

Add a few rocks around the enclosure, give it 24 - 48 hours and post an update. I'll bet you'll see results.
    I was wondering about that, didn't occur to me until last night that the readings might be different once I add stuff. Not sure how to replicate having the hides in there as he currently needs them, but I can put bedding, bowls and his brick in there to see if that helps. although, misquoted the model, I have a T10, not that it's that big of a difference.