Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,955

0 members and 2,955 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Looking for the most Red Tail BCI possible

Hi guys, I’m looking to find a BCI with a tail that stays red for the most part. I know it’s never going to be as red as the BBCs out there. Idk if it’s a certain locality, morph or a hybrid but I’ve seen some BCIs where the tail stays faintly red or bright orange even into adulthood. It seems to me that most BCIs tails turn black or brown once they become adults. Not sure exactly how to word this but I hope you can understand what I’m looking for. Thanks.

Thanks
    All boas change over time. BI tend to have the brightest tail they will have as an individual in the first 3 years. BC can be rather dull in the tail for the first year or more and then develop red in a couple of years. Or not!

I breed Pokigron Suriname boas that are as far apart genetically as is possible on this side of the pond. Their offspring are all over the map color wise and pattern wise. -I tell you this because if someone asked me for a baby that would retain a red tail...I couldn't even tell you that it will develop a red tail. This pertains to you because if the 'red tail' is the most important thing, you need to find a breeder that has adults with the qualities you like and roll the dice. The longer the line has been bred (closer genetically) the better your odds of keeping the color you want.

I've been doing this a long time and the traits that attracted me to boas is still there but the expansion in what I like is considerably different. I use to have the biggest crush on Suriname/Guyana boas with low saddle count, connected saddles, head markings, low spot content and two tone (sides contrast with the top). All these things still catch my eye but I held on to three little ones this year. One has floating oval spot for the first saddle from the head. A couple of decades ago I would not have considered him because-OMG the flaw! Another is big and dark...who knows what this boa will look like in 10 years?

I have a mature (14+) year female that her tail has faded but the darkness developing on her laterals is awesome and the contrasts of dark tones elsewhere are a rival any day for the lighter tones when she was younger.

I'm not trying to talk you out of anything (you like what you like). I gave you the best advice I could earlier but the color of a boa is something in continuous transition as the boa ages and this change is marvelous.

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bns For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (10-24-2020),Reinz (10-24-2020),Scooda954 (10-25-2020),Sonny1318 (10-24-2020),Spicey (10-24-2020),Toad37 (10-24-2020)

Thanks

Re: Looking for the most Red Tail BCI possible

If you want a red tail and you know the BC's have redder tails why not go for one of them instead of a BI?

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toad37 For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (10-24-2020),jmcrook (10-24-2020)

Thanks

I guess I just have to roll the dice, seems like a can’t really judge them when they’re babies because they change so much. Thanks for you informative response

Thanks

From what I hear BCC’s are harder to care for, can get really large and are more aggressive. I do see some Guyana red tails for cheap on morph market.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Looking for the most Red Tail BCI possible

Not necessarily harder to care for but less forgiving of errors than BI. Size and frequency of feeding is more prone to cause regurge issues in true red tails when younger if you’re not careful.

They can get larger, but not huge necessarily. Remember that the largest boas are the oldest boas and that goes for all species. Boas get old by being cared for properly and you can easily have an 8’ imperator specimen or an 8’ constrictor specimen, or larger or smaller of either. Some will also never become huge. Every animal is an individual and grows according to its own genetic potential.

As for the cheap ones you mentioned on MM, those are almost all imported and I could not recommend more strongly against them as a first BC. They could have a harder time acclimating to your care, could have parasites, etc, which will exacerbate any issues that BC are more prone to.

I’d recommend purchasing and reading “The More Complete Boa Constrictor” by Vin Russo for more insight as to the care and husbandry of these incredible snakes. My first boa was a Surinam Red Tail and I’ve had zero issues but also did a ton of research beforehand and was well apprised of what problems could be encountered. I think often people have a hard time with these so called more difficult species simply because they didn’t do their homework and got in over their heads.

Best of luck.
    Last edited by jmcrook; 10-25-2020 at 10:11 AM.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

bns (10-25-2020),Reinz (10-25-2020),richardhind1972 (10-25-2020),Toad37 (10-25-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scooda954 View Post
    From what I hear BCC’s are harder to care for, can get really large and are more aggressive. I do see some Guyana red tails for cheap on morph market.
    BCC's got a reputation of being harder to care for because of husbandry that was only C+. BCI tend to fare better with C+ husbandry but will benefit from better husbandry. Overfeeding was a common problem and killed many BCC before all the information sharing we have today paved a better way. Also, some lines (locales) had a tendency to regurgitate meals. Part of this was C+ husbandry and for some debatable reason(s) Suriname/Guyana boas should be fed mice for at least the first year. I have never had a BCC regurgitate in my care...and I keep babies around until they are well started.

As far as size and temperament...BCC in my care tend to be more shy and most will do better if not handled a great deal. I don't recall ever having a BCC boa strike at me defensively after they are a few months old except when removing newborns from the mothers enclosure. The babies are little defensive for the first few months and then that fades (I actually miss the little hissy fits)...All three of the little ones I kept from this year came right to me looking for food this morning.

Size...My 9ish male is 6 feet long. His 14 plus year old girlfriend is a tick over 7. I have a couple of two year olds that are approaching 3 feet. Most BCI would eclipse those lengths at those ages...

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bns For This Useful Post:

dakski (10-26-2020),GoingPostal (10-25-2020),jmcrook (10-25-2020),Reinz (10-25-2020),Toad37 (10-25-2020)