Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,887

1 members and 2,886 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

New addition- Tioman Island Kukri Snake

Just got this girl in yesterday. I'm very excited to be working with this species.

Anyone who has any experience with these snakes, info or advice, please feel free to share!

BTW, her name is Snickersnee.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Awesomethepossum For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-24-2020),GoingPostal (10-24-2020),Kam (10-24-2020),Reinz (10-24-2020),Sonny1318 (10-24-2020),Toad37 (10-24-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Congrats, sure is a pretty little thing.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

Awesomethepossum (10-29-2020),dakski (10-24-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: New addition- Tioman Island Kukri Snake

I agree with Reinz. I no zero about them, but wow, gorgeous.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Awesomethepossum (10-29-2020)

Thanks
    I’ve done some research into kukri snakes in the past. They got their name because their teeth reminded people of kukri knives. The teeth are designed to cut through the leathery shell of reptile eggs. They also eat frogs, toads and lizards. Some researchers wrote an article about the cool but horrifying way they eat poisonous toads. They will eat rodents, but you can feed them bird eggs as well. The eggs will need to be cracked open. The teeth are designed to slice, not puncture, so they won’t be able to open hard shelled bird eggs. As adults their bite is no joke. Even at 2 or 3 feet they can give you stitches. They can be very defensive so I’d keep them as a display snake. Snake Discovery have a few and they have a video out on how they quarantined them. DM exotics might have some info about them.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AzJohn For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-24-2020),Reinz (10-24-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Very interesting snakes!

‘When I first read your title I immediately thought of the Kukri/khurkuri knives originating from the Gurkhas Indians.

I hope that she will easily take rodents, unless you have a reliable source for frogs and lizards.

Please post more about her progression.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    I look forward to reading your experiences with her, as I know zip about them. She's pretty!
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

New addition- Tioman Island Kukri Snake

That is very , very nice !!

It kinda reminds me of those Red Bamboo rat snakes ( the barred one )

I had one of the other striped Bamboo rat snakes and it was savage !!

It also had the sharpest teeth of any I’ve ‘sampled’ !!

He was my scariest snake ... all 14” of him !!

Here he is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Zincubus; 10-25-2020 at 01:23 PM.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Awesomethepossum (10-29-2020),Bogertophis (10-29-2020),Reinz (10-25-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

I’ve noticed a trend of yours and in choosing to take on very much advanced level species in less than a year and a half since acquiring your first snake. Certainly hope that the appropriate thorough research and preparation in advance is being conducted prior to obtaining these animals. Best luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Awesomethepossum (10-29-2020),Bogertophis (10-29-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    I’ve noticed a trend of yours and in choosing to take on very much advanced level species in less than a year and a half since acquiring your first snake. Certainly hope that the appropriate thorough research and preparation in advance is being conducted prior to obtaining these animals. Best luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I do appreciate your concern, as it wouldn't be there if you didn't care.

The foundation of my work, experience and education is exclusively revolved around care, handling, health/rehabilitation and research of captive animals/wildlife, and education of the public in that regard. Thorough planning and research isn't optional, and I'm not ashamed to admit that I still ask for input/advice, especially on sites like these from those with a more intimate knowledge.

You are correct. I purchased my first ball python (first snake) last July. However, prior to this, had owned and/or cared for reptiles/amphibians for over 10 years, while also working with them in an educational setting. Turtles, snakes, lizards, etc. modifying husbandry according to the newest information. Beginner level species, yes, but all are still going strong.

In regards to advanced species, I'm assuming you're referring to the WLP? Unfortunately, he did pass away during quarantine, despite veterinary care and medications/supplementation. The feeding complications, and death, was determined to have been caused by organ failure from a heavy parasite load and import stress, not by lack of appropriate effort or poor husbandry. I will eventually be getting another, however, I won't settle for less than captive bred, even if I have to wait years. Same goes for my desire to get a BRB, which I'll be on a waitlist for, for a couple more years, as this allows for more patient planning.

The kukri snake, this has been a desired species for some time, and I knew what I was getting into. She's eating fantastically for me, and based on the seller's information and my own research on their native habitat/ecosystem dynamics, I feel fairly confident in my efforts to provide her with optimal care. But as always, I'm always open to suggestions, advice, criticisms, and so forth, making modifications that best provide for her needs. I make posts like these for that reason, and because, well, you guys can appreciate the excitement of getting a new snake.

Thank you

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Awesomethepossum For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-29-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AzJohn View Post
    I’ve done some research into kukri snakes in the past. They got their name because their teeth reminded people of kukri knives. The teeth are designed to cut through the leathery shell of reptile eggs. They also eat frogs, toads and lizards. Some researchers wrote an article about the cool but horrifying way they eat poisonous toads. They will eat rodents, but you can feed them bird eggs as well. The eggs will need to be cracked open. The teeth are designed to slice, not puncture, so they won’t be able to open hard shelled bird eggs. As adults their bite is no joke. Even at 2 or 3 feet they can give you stitches. They can be very defensive so I’d keep them as a display snake. Snake Discovery have a few and they have a video out on how they quarantined them. DM exotics might have some info about them.
    A lot is said about their fangs, and what they can do with them. Definitely a display only snake, I bought her with that intent

She's been feeding very well for me on f/t mouse pinks every 2-3 days. I do additionally offer her a partially opened quail egg in her enclosure on feeding nights, just in case she feels an inkling. As she becomes more established, I'll try introducing additional prey items and see how those are accepted. Otherwise, she's adjusted quite well, and I'm excited to be working with her.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Awesomethepossum For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-29-2020)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast