Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,962

2 members and 2,960 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Help! Baby ball won’t eat!

Hi all. Looking for some advice. This is long, I’m sorry!

So I took the advice of the breeder and got a tub enclosure with a heat pad, one hide on the warm side and a small water bowl on the cool side. Coco husk bedding. The tub is small, I think it’s 13L. My snake is 2 months old. He was eating no problem for the breeder. Started with freshly killed and then switched to F/T. I can’t get him to eat for the life of me. At first I thought it was my shaky hand but even my uncle confirmed yesterday (he’s had a snake for 15 years so he’s seen it all) that my snake is only striking defensively and not actually trying to eat. He won’t even eat on his own when I leave the mouse in there overnight also. I’m beginning to think it’s a husbandry issue. I set everything up the way the breeder told me to and the way I’ve seen tub set ups on YouTube. Humidity is about 60 or so. It seems to go up and down with the day and night right now because of the onset of colder weather. I don’t think it’s a humidity problem. With that said, I think it’s an issue with the temp. God bless whoever is still with me! 🙏

So, I have a heat pad with a thermostat and the thermostat keeps it around 90ish. It varies also but between 90-95. (It’s the dial kind, doesn’t have a fixed temperature setting) The probe is inside the tub at the bottom and the substrate is on top
    of it. When I temp gun the top of the substrate it shows in the 70’s and when I temp gun my snake he shows about 80. I’m afraid if I get my heat pad to be higher that he could burrow or move the substrate and burn himself. Anyone know how I get the temp up without burning my little dude? TIA! ❤️

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Re: Help! Baby ball won’t eat!

Blimey so many issues...

I don’t like or use RUBS myself ( all mine are in vivariums ) so I’ll let the others advise on that point ..

First off Royals/ Balls will bury down to find heat / or just hide / or whatever.. so 95F is too high imho .. no higher than 91/92F .

They need at least two identical hides one at each end ... some branches and fake foliage - as much clutter as possible .

Royals need to feel safe and secure so open spaces are a no-no ...

I’ll leave other issues to the others but i do suggest you trying the ‘hairdryer’ method of feeding .. I will send it to you now by PM

Good luck , you sound as though you’ll make a real good keeper !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (10-23-2020),Danibaby (10-22-2020)