Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,912

2 members and 2,910 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Dimming vs Pulse Proportional?

Picked up a new thermostat for use with our Animal Plastics rack that uses 4" heat tape. Is one mode better than the other for this as it can do either or?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    0.1 Platinum Purple Super Sunfire Retic
    1.0 Banana 66% Het Pied
    1.0 GHI
    1.0 Pewter Blast Leopard Spider

Thanks

Re: Dimming vs Pulse Proportional?

Quote Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
    Picked up a new thermostat for use with our Animal Plastics rack that uses 4" heat tape. Is one mode better than the other for this as it can do either or?

In my experience, Pulse is better for heating mats& tape and on/off is better for heating bulbs & panels.

Also, on/off can be better if your room is cold and has the possibility of sudden temperature drops. For example, if my room suddenly drops to 59 degrees, I want my heating element to turn on at 100% power, not the 29% power that was necessary a few minutes ago when my room was nearly 70 degrees.
    Last edited by JobForARetic; 10-22-2020 at 12:13 PM.

Thanks

Re: Dimming vs Pulse Proportional?

Dimming is literally turning down the juice to a fixed constant level. Pulse purportional is rapid on and off cycle to replicate dimming. Very similar to LED tech which can't be dimmed because they need constant flow of power to dim LED they flash, slower or faster depending on desired brightness. Our eyes obviously can't see the flashing its too quick. Certain things like lamps can't be dimmed so you would use pulse proportional to effectively put out less heat. It gets down to specifically what heating source you are using and what it can or can't handle.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk