Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,999

0 members and 2,999 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: Odd Behavior

Thanks

Odd Behavior

Hello friends, long time no post. Things have been quiet on the BP front (thank god considering everything else that’s happened this year!).

However, recently I noticed an odd behavior from my snake. When I enter the room (she’s been in my bedroom since I moved home in February) she gets very active and watches my movements. If I get down lower and peer into the cage she gets right up next to the glass flicking her tongue. I liked to assume she was just curious and I typically don’t try to touch her when she does this.

Tonight, I realized I hadn’t held her in a while so I opened the cage and blew on her little head so that she’d crouch down to the ground again. She’s never been aggressive in the slightest, and usually when she’s balled up like that I can easily grab her. Well, it only lasted a moment, so I got my hand out quickly and she tried to strike at the heat lamp presumably since it was the warmest nearby thing. Keep in mind, I’ve never tried to touch her before like this so I didn’t know if she’d strike. I’m fairly certain now if my hand was in there it would’ve been me instead.

Now obviously I have no need to hold her or bother her when she acts like this. But, to my still relatively beginner eye, it seems like she is hungry ALL the time, so now I’m concerned about whether I could be feeding her differently. She gets a small rat every week, usually every 7 but sometimes 10 days. She currently weighs 1,190 grams (with some waste in her), is three years old, and is not thin in the slightest. If anything, I fear that feeding her a larger rat or more frequently would easily push her into obesity.

I’m grateful that she’s still eating as she has fasted in previous winters, but should I be concerned about this seeming insatiability? Does anybody have an explanation other than hunger? Should I change her feeding regimen? Any and all advice welcome! Sorry for the long post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Re: Odd Behavior

Sometimes they’re just hungry. My 11yr old male pastel fasted every winter from 2014/15-2018/19 but then fasted all of summer 2019 and has now only skipped two meals since about September 2019.

I gave up on understanding him years ago and just decided to get boas and carpet pythons to eat his refusals and it has improved my life significantly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

purpleroan (10-22-2020)