Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,084

0 members and 3,084 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

First shed, incomplete, coming off in different pieces.

New BP owner. I have had a hatchling BP for about 2 weeks, she ate her first meal last Friday super easy so I thought everything was fine. Her ambient temp on the hot side is 88, and the substrate is measuring out to 91 degree under the hide I have set up on the hotter side. The cool side is at 78 degrees. I came home from work today to see her in her cool hide. I looked in the hot hide to see some shed laying in there. I looked at her again and I see some shed that it still on there alittle bit and some underneath her. I don’t know why she’d have an incomplete shed. I have noticed that it can get to 75 at night, but the CHE I just bought is actually broke, so I have to take it back and get a new one so the temps don’t go that low at night. Her temps are great throughout the day, but at night I guess the ambient temp can get alittle chilly. Also, she showed absolutely no signs of her getting ready to shed. Last night she’s looked completely normal. None of her colors were darkened or gray and she didn’t have eye caps or anything. I looked in there this morning and saw she shed. Is that normal also? Thanks.
    Last edited by Jdrum6; 10-20-2020 at 01:35 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

First shed, incomplete, coming off in different pieces.

It’s just that the humidity levels were too low ..

There a loads of ways to get a great shed and I’m sure everyone will give their fave soon ..

For my part ... I spray their vivs more or less when I think about it BUT as soon as I notice the eyes misting/digging over and the colour fading slightly then I start spraying well EACH day ( they usually hide away COMPLETELY for days ... THEN As soon as they reappear/ eyes cleared / colour returns THEN it’s time to spray well two or three times a day .

I get perfect sheds each time ..

Do NOT try pulling the bits off .. it can hurt them.

To clean it up a little you can wrap the snake in a wet , rough textures bath towel and let it slither around inside ... when it’s head pops out just recover it with the excess towel and continue .. the dead skin will come off nice and gently on the towel .

I’ve heard that one way to help get the remaining skin off is to put it in a soaking wet pillowcase and leave it in the viv ( maybe not the cool end ) .

You
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Zincubus; 10-20-2020 at 01:50 PM.

Thanks

Re: First shed, incomplete, coming off in different pieces.

Okay! Also I did forget to mention that the humidity levels have been in the low-mid 60s since I got her. Also, when I had her out yesterday, I did not notice any kind of discoloration in her eyes, or skin at all. Do bps just shed without any discoloration to eyes/skin?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jdrum6 View Post
    Okay! Also I did forget to mention that the humidity levels have been in the low-mid 60s since I got her. Also, when I had her out yesterday, I did not notice any kind of discoloration in her eyes, or skin at all. Do bps just shed without any discoloration to eyes/skin?
    Their eyes glaze over , colour fades and they hide ( even more than usual ) away completely for days .. then afterwards few days or more they reappear eyes clear , back to normal colour -this phase lasts anywhere from a few days to 7 of 8 days then the old skin all comes off ...

In saying all that ... I have 6 Albino Royals and it’s extremely difficult to tell when they’re in shed .. so if they refuse a meal that’s my indicator to start daily spraying .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks

Oh okay. Strange, mine ate fine for me on Friday and then shed on a Tuesday, but she did hide away for like 4 days straight before I fed her, but she ate fine. Also, she is a pastel enchi superstripe and she’s mostly all yellow and the some black around her as well. So yeah, I guess I could see why it would have been difficult to tell unless I really got my eyes close enough to her to actually tell. I guess I’ll do my best to help her get the remainder of shed off tonight when I get off work, and then make sure I look for the signs so we can try to avoid another difficult shed.
    Last edited by Jdrum6; 10-20-2020 at 02:19 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jdrum6 For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (10-20-2020)

Thanks

I have a hatchling BP that I have had for about 2 weeks. I followed the instructions I was given and pretty much all of it is now off. I did this last night. Once I got up to the head, that’s when it become much more difficult. She was all ready super stressed and she did so well with what I had to put her through with only having her for almost 2 weeks(saturday). Once I got to her head, she started getting much more stressed and that’s when she started striking a lot. I took a few bites and I figured she had enough for the night. She still has some shed that is left on the top of her head and sides of face. I’m on my lunch break at work right now, I made sure the humidity was great this morning, and then I made it home to check on her and the humidity is about 73%. And heat temps are good as well. I’m wondering if I should try again tonight when I get home, or give her a day to chill out? I just want to do what’s best by her. Thanks.

Thanks

I have a hatchling BP that I have had for about 2 weeks. I followed the instructions I was given and pretty much all of it is now off. I did this last night. Once I got up to the head, that’s when it become much more difficult. She was all ready super stressed and she did so well with what I had to put her through with only having her for almost 2 weeks(saturday). Once I got to her head, she started getting much more stressed and that’s when she started striking a lot. I took a few bites and I figured she had enough for the night. She still has some shed that is left on the top of her head and sides of face. I’m on my lunch break at work right now, I made sure the humidity was great this morning, and then I made it home to check on her and the humidity is about 73%. And heat temps are good as well. I’m wondering if I should try again tonight when I get home, or give her a day to chill out? I just want to do what’s best by her. Thanks.
    I always preface by sayign that I'm still new at this myself! Had my balls since April and May, respectively, and my bullsnake for about 7 weeks.

Anyway, I suspected that my first BP, Ana Gwyn, had stuck eyecaps when I got her, but I was told she should shed soon so I waited. She did shed, and one of the eyecaps came off but not the other. I tried all the tricks - soaking, wet washcloths, high humidity, etc - but the eyecap stayed stuck, and now was probably TWO eyecaps thick. I was worried, but I decided to wait for one more shed, and made sure her humidity was as high as I could safely get it this time. It came off. But if it hadn't, I'd have taken her to the vet at that point.

My younger BP, Tonks, was so dry when I bought her (bad store, bad me for buying her but she looked miserable) that I named her Tonkatsu - crispy fried pork cutlet - because she practically felt *crunchy*. I did what I could with her humidity and she used the humidity box I provided, but when she shed, it was just a mess. Stuck shed everywhere. Soaking and gentle rubs with a wet washcloth helped, but there was a lot left on her head because she was very headshy at the time. Eventually I did the same as Ana Gwyn and just left her alone, because she was rubbing her face on things but my messing with her so much was obviously upsetting her more. Next shed went better, and it all came off. She's just about to start her third shed with me (noticed a pink belly this morning), and I'm curious if it will go better. I've noticed that in general, she feels dryer than Ana Gwyn, and they're kept under the same conditions so I'm thinking it just may be how Tonks is.

Basically saying, no two situations are the same and no two snakes are the same. You know your snake best, and if she's biting you, I'd back off and leave her alone. I'd only be very worried if stuck eyecaps are involved, but you can always have a vet check her out if you feel it necessary.

(Is she your first snake? Two weeks isn't long, you're still a nervous parent, I promise it will get better! Things that used to freak me out when I first got Ana Gwyn, now barely faze me.)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to OoohShiny For This Useful Post:

Jdrum6 (10-21-2020)

Thanks

Reading this made me feel so so much better I cannot even tell you haha. Yes, she is my first snake. I have been a lizard guy for years and I started getting more and more into snakes and decided I really wanted one. Idk, but I am more freaked out and anxious about her than was ever with any of my geckos/dragons etc that I have/had. What I had to do yesterday, made me honestly feel sick. Even through most of the day today. People might think I’m crazy, but I love her so much all ready and I really want her to be healthy and I’m trying my absolute hardest to do right by her. She’s been in the same spot since I put her back last night and it’s not in either of her hides. She’s behind the water bowl and this log I have that’s curved so she might feel a little secure. I guess she’s still freaked out from yesterday. I’ll leave her alone for A week other than to feed and change water etc. Oh! And it looks like she actually shed her eye caps because her eyes look completely normal to me.
    Last edited by Jdrum6; 10-21-2020 at 08:29 PM.

Thanks

Reading this made me feel so so much better I cannot even tell you haha. Yes, she is my first snake. I have been a lizard guy for years and I started getting more and more into snakes and decided I really wanted one. Idk, but I am more freaked out and anxious about her than was ever with any of my geckos/dragons etc that I have/had. What I had to do yesterday, made me honestly feel sick. Even through most of the day today. People might think I’m crazy, but I love her so much all ready and I really want her to be healthy and I’m trying my absolute hardest to do right by her. She’s been in the same spot since I put her back last night and it’s not in either of her hides. She’s behind the water bowl and this log I have that’s curved so she might feel a little secure. I guess she’s still freaked out from yesterday. I’ll leave her alone for A week other than to feed and change water etc. Oh! And it looks like she actually shed her eye caps because her eyes look completely normal to me.
    Make it cluttered as possible to make her feel safe and secure .... they just don't appreciate wide open spaces ..

Add loads of branches , any fake silk/ plastic foliage you have lying around ( pound / dollar shops sell them ) ..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Jdrum6 (10-21-2020)

Thanks

Sweet, I’ll put more in! Thank you!