Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,938

0 members and 2,938 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Howdy from Idaho

Getting back into the hobby after a 10 year hiatus. My ex-wife forced me to rehome my modest collection, but now I'm a free man. I grew up in southern Oregon and north California, until I moved to north Idaho at age 16, 33 now. Not much to find here besides painted turtles and garter snakes, unfortunately. I've been searching for a rubber boa without success for 2 years. Other than local wildlife, I've kept ball pythons and one very grumpy corn snake. I believe I'm at an intermediate skill level, so I'm looking into Amazon tree boas to kick off my reentry into snake keeping. I'm about 1/2 done with my first terrarium build, which is sized appropriately for an arboreal. Or, I just make make it into the ultimate luxury ball python mansion. Arboreals definitely have the cool factor, but there's just something about a ball python contently coiled up in your lap while you watch TV, that makes them so appealing.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Critter87 For This Useful Post:

dakski (10-20-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 462 Posts
    Welcome! There are a few of us here who got back into the hobby after a hiatus. My work demanded so much travel that I had to really minimize my keeping for far too long, but I have been back with a vengeance for a few years now, and am very happy about it.

There's no question that the arboreals are beautiful to see. My Green Tree Python is a fantastic display snake and I enjoy him every day - but I also enjoy handling and working with/training some of my snakes, and the arboreal species don't really appreciate that much interaction.

As long as you've done your research, are up to date on current husbandry, and have your enclosure(s) prepared in advance, it's hard to make a mistake in choosing which type of snake to start with. Good luck, and we'll look forward to updates.
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python 'Ziggy'
    1.0 Bredl's Python 'Calcifer'
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 'Mara'
    1.1 Tarahumara Mountain Boas 'Paco' and 'Frida'
    2.0 Dumeril's Boas 'Gyre' and 'Titan'
    1.0 Stimson's Python 'Jake'
    1.1 Children's Pythons 'Miso' and 'Ozzy'
    1.0 Anthill Python 'Cricket'
    1.0 Plains Hognose 'Peanut'
    1.1 Rough-scaled Sand Boas 'Rassi' and 'Kala'
    1.0 Ball Python (BEL) 'Sugar'
    1.0 Gray-banded Kingsnake 'Nacho'
    1.0 Green Tree Python (Aru) 'Jade'

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Re: Howdy from Idaho

Welcome !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Welcome to the forum and welcome back to the hobby!

I took a few years off myself, but got back into the hobby a few years back. A lot changed in the time I was away, I'm sure you're noticing that as well.

Here's my two cents based on the info you shared. Look into a Carpet Python or a Bredli Python. They fit both of what you're looking for. They're semi-arboreal and spend plenty of time perched and out and about. They also handle much better than an ETB likely would. They're curious, but not typically flighty like corns can be (since you have experience with corns). Yet they'll chill with you while you watch TV. Most carpets get decent size, but there are some that stay smaller too like Irian Jaya/Papuans (have been renamed) or Darwin's.

Good luck!! Feel free to ask all the questions you have. We're always happy to help.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

dakski (10-20-2020),jmcrook (01-23-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Howdy from Idaho

Welcome.

As Craig said, Carpet Pythons can be a good compromise as they are semi-arboreal, but handle well (especially as they get older and more confident and used to handling).

I have an IJ/Darwin Hybrid, Yafe, who won't be over 5 1/2 - 6FT and is an awesome dude. Great display snake and also handles really well. They are active, but not darty. In my mind, somewhere between a boa and a corn snake (I keep both of those species as well).

They also tend to be great eaters.

Here's a picture of my niece with Yafe and one of him spread out in his 4X2' arboreal tank (the light in his tank distorts his colors).

Another potential option for a reasonable sized snake that would appreciate climbing space is a dwarf boa. There are tons of options there and Boas are the favorite species I keep. Some won't get more than 4FT +/-. I keep 2 BI's and one dwarf BC (he will still get larger than most dwarf species and be about 5FT +/-). You have to be careful with what dwarf species you choose, both in terms of species/locality and individual animals. BI's and BC's tend to be puppy dogs but some of the dwarf species can a little more nervous and darty. Still, if not spoiled by a big old puppy dog BI or BC, a dwarf boa can be awesome. I mentioned I have a dwarf BC, Feliz, and his temperament is more like the big BC's and BI's. He's so confident and inquisitive and friendly.

For good measure, here is Feliz at 3 years old and about 700G (for comparison my female BI at the same age was more than 2X his size now).

Any questions on species, husbandry, etc. just ask. Many people on here keep more than BP's, but that isn't a bad option either if you already know you like BP's. I just think it would be a waste for the arboreal nature of the tank.
    Last edited by dakski; 10-20-2020 at 04:47 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (10-20-2020)

Thanks
    I'm not too concerned about handleability if I get an ABT. I'm building a bioactive habitat-replicating enclosure, and if I go with a nippy species it'll be for display and observation. I still have my trusty homemade hook from my herping days in Oregon. I decided on an ABT over EBTs and GTPs mainly because they're more active, but they're also cheaper. And from what I can tell, they have a stronger feed response too, which is important for me since I have no choice but to use frozen feeders. Nearest pet store is 40 miles away, so feeders will have to come from ebay.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Welcome to the forum and back to the hobby.

- - - Updated - - -

Welcome to the forum and back to the hobby.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.