Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,943

1 members and 2,942 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

How to use CHE without drying the enclosure?

As winter comes my house is starting to get cold, right now I use a red lamp during the day and close at night, night temperatures are 73 which is too low. I have been thinking about useing a CHE but that would just dry out the enclosure, I keep my BP in a 120 gallon so it will be very hard to keep the humidity up, right now is just above 50, after CHE it’s probably going to be 30. Is there a way too keep humidity while keeping heat?

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts
    CHE are going to dry out anything, you can soak bedding, you can spray often, you can add a misting system, room humidifier, block off airflow. Personally I'd skip the effort and look into a pvc enclosure more properly suited to a reptile, with a radiant heat panel. Much better at keeping heat and humidity than an aquarium is going to be.

2.0 Python brongersmai
    1.1 Python breitensteini
    1.0 Python curtus
    1.0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Acrantophis dumerili
    1.0 Boa constrictor
    0.1 Heterodon nasiscus nasiscus
    0.0.1 Pantherophis guttatus

3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to GoingPostal For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (10-20-2020),cincy (10-21-2020),Craiga 01453 (10-20-2020),Hugsplox (10-20-2020),Luvyna (10-19-2020),Sonny1318 (10-19-2020),Toad37 (10-19-2020)

Thanks

Re: How to use CHE without drying the enclosure?

Do radiant panels heat ambient temperature?

Thanks

Yes, radiant heat panels heat the ambient temperature, but if you are using one in a glass aquarium it will also dry out the enclosure. If you're not able to get a PVC enclosure like GoingPostal suggested, I would recommend trying a Sterilite tub with holes drilled in it. The tubs are cheap, easy to acquire and set up, and they hold humidity and heat much better than glass enclosures. You can also mount a CHE onto it if needed, I can link a tutorial on how to do that safely if that's a method you want to go with.

Thanks

Ok, thanks. But I do think that sterile tubs are a bit small, the biggest I can find is a 50 gallon but the dimensions shows that is only a 30. I never used PVC enclosures, where can I buy them?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ooo View Post
    Ok, thanks. But I do think that sterile tubs are a bit small, the biggest I can find is a 50 gallon but the dimensions shows that is only a 30. I never used PVC enclosures, where can I buy them?
    It is indeed challenging to find a Sterilite tub that is the appropriate size for a full-grown BP, they're typically better as starter enclosures for growing BPs which will eventually be upgraded to a PVC enclosure.

If you're in the U.S., Animal Plastics and Boaphile Plastics are some of the biggest names for PVC enclosures.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Luvyna For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (10-20-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GoingPostal View Post
    CHE are going to dry out anything, you can soak bedding, you can spray often, you can add a misting system, room humidifier, block off airflow. Personally I'd skip the effort and look into a pvc enclosure more properly suited to a reptile, with a radiant heat panel. Much better at keeping heat and humidity than an aquarium is going to be.
    Having a humidity box helps too.

Like the OP I've been having humidity issues since my banana boy is in a 30 gal setup (will aquire a proper PVC enclosure when he's older) and have utilized a soaking strategy with the coco fiber/spagnum substrate. But just to make absolutely sure there's a spot where he can always get moisture if things get too dry at any point I leave a humidity box in at all times with wet (but not waterlogged) moss inside.

I've already seen him use it several times so it's clear he appreciates the gesture, albeit maybe a little too much as he left a huge dump inside it once and the whole basement subsequently stunk to high heaven.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snagrio For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (10-20-2020),Sonny1318 (10-21-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snagrio View Post
    Having a humidity box helps too.

Like the OP I've been having humidity issues since my banana boy is in a 30 gal setup (will aquire a proper PVC enclosure when he's older) and have utilized a soaking strategy with the coco fiber/spagnum substrate. But just to make absolutely sure there's a spot where he can always get moisture if things get too dry at any point I leave a humidity box in at all times with wet (but not waterlogged) moss inside.

I've already seen him use it several times so it's clear he appreciates the gesture, albeit maybe a little too much as he left a huge dump inside it once and the whole basement subsequently stunk to high heaven.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    I do this method as well while waiting on my Animal Plastics enclosure to get here. Spagnum moss covering his third hide on the cool side. The humidity in there is about 10-20% higher than the rest of the enclosure, so he can get in there if needed. This is a quick fix but doesn't eliminate the need to mist still. As other's have said, def look into a PVC enclosure. I also used tin foil with duct table on my screen cover which helped a lot.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,857 Times in 4,778 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ooo View Post
    As winter comes my house is starting to get cold, right now I use a red lamp during the day and close at night, night temperatures are 73 which is too low. I have been thinking about useing a CHE but that would just dry out the enclosure, I keep my BP in a 120 gallon so it will be very hard to keep the humidity up, right now is just above 50, after CHE it’s probably going to be 30. Is there a way too keep humidity while keeping heat?
    A 120-gal glass tank will take a bit of work and modifying to get it set up correctly, compared to maintaining a PVC enclosure. I have a 120-gal aquarium with home-built plexiglass tops that have a few ventilation holes each, so that heat and humidity stays in it. Heat is done with two large UTH's (once set at 80*F, the other at 90*F) and in the winter months I use two deep heat projectors (DHP's) to bump up the ambient temp since the radiation will penetrate plexiglass and heat objects in the tank. I have a carpet python in it and he likes to perch/bask on driftwood set up under the DHP's.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (10-21-2020),Caitlin (10-20-2020),Craiga 01453 (10-20-2020),Sonny1318 (10-21-2020)

Thanks

I live in Canada, is there a source for pvc here? I will add a humidity box and how it works. Should I be using CHE right now at night?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast