Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,502

1 members and 2,501 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 462 Posts
    Thanks, all. I have really appreciated the thoughtful, informative, and supportive communication. These forums are a breath of fresh air compared to some of the rudeness and general insanity elsewhere.

I certainly agree with those of you who have pointed out just how shy these baby Dums can be. He's a gentle soul, and I can tell that I will need to be sensitive to him and take my time with him once I do start handling. For now he's still in his little shoebox-sized Iris tub with deep aspen substrate that he loves to burrow in. Every now and then he'll surface and hang out on his cork bark or in a bowl of damp sphagnum moss I provided - I live in a dry area, and winter humidity has been just brutal (right now ambient humidity in my house is 20%) so I can see why he sometimes likes to spend a few hours, or a few days, in his sphagnum moss.

The great news is that he is eating regularly and enthusiastically and that he made the switch to weaned rats. The first time I thawed the rat in the same bag as a quail so that it'd be scented, but he hasn't needed that for the last couple of feedings. One quirk I've noticed - and this may just be him - is that he really prefers to be fed later at night. Twice now I've offered once it's dark, at about 8pm, and he's been interested but refused. And both times when I offered again at 11pm he took the meal right away. I wouldn't normally repeat a meal offer like that, but all I can say is that I had a feeling about it. Not scientific, I know, but it worked for me so I'll take it. In each case, on feeding day he's still acting like a Boa - coming up out of the substrate and showing great interest as I approach him with his meal, so that has been wonderful.

I have some new PVC enclosures coming for other snakes in a few weeks, so will be doing some enclosure shuffling. If he is still eating regularly at that time - and I don't see why he wouldn't be - I'll move him into a larger enclosure and keep his shoebox in there as an option for him.
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python 'Ziggy'
    1.0 Bredl's Python 'Calcifer'
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 'Mara'
    1.1 Tarahumara Mountain Boas 'Paco' and 'Frida'
    2.0 Dumeril's Boas 'Gyre' and 'Titan'
    1.0 Stimson's Python 'Jake'
    1.1 Children's Pythons 'Miso' and 'Ozzy'
    1.0 Anthill Python 'Cricket'
    1.0 Plains Hognose 'Peanut'
    1.1 Rough-scaled Sand Boas 'Rassi' and 'Kala'
    1.0 Ball Python (BEL) 'Sugar'
    1.0 Gray-banded Kingsnake 'Nacho'