Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,818

1 members and 2,817 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Registered User Reptile$ 4 Life's Avatar
    Thanks

Questions About UVB

So, I rescued two leopard geckos recently and they are settling in nicely. The only problem I have had is getting them to eat the calcium dusted mealworms. When I offed regular mealworms they absolutely crush them. So my first question is, if I added UVB lighting would I need to dust the mealworms? Just up front I would get a low power UVB bulb nothing like what bearded dragons need. Has anyone here ever added UVB to their leopard geckos enclosure? If so I would greatly appreciate if you could give me a run down on your experience with it. Also I watched an interesting video where someone said when they gave their bp UVB it became more active during the day. I know not to believe everything I hear on the internet so that's why I am asking y'all. Have any of you given your bp, or any animals that don't require UVB, UVB?
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (Flicker)
    1.2 Southern Alligator Liazrds (Wraith, Magma & Annie)
    0.1 Western Skink (Stella)
    1.1 Leopard Geckos (Leo & Jade)

Thanks

Re: Questions About UVB

I always heard that you can put a cap full of calcium dust in their enclosure and leopard geckos will eat it if they need it. I did that when I had them and I guess they did but I never noticed because it was more likely that one would climb over the cap at some point and upset it. Leos are nocturnal lizards and do not need UVB, but it probably won't hurt them.
    "Something Clever"

1.0 Paradox Albino KSB - Spotticus
    0.1 Dutch Rabbit - Wendy

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spicey For This Useful Post:

dakski (10-17-2020),Reptile$ 4 Life (10-17-2020)

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

I give my Pacman/Pixie frogs and Smooth Sided/Cane Toads UVB and they seem healthier.

My ball pythons don't care either way--prefer to hide from the light.

When I kept leopard geckos and I offered UVA and UVB they would stay in the most comfortable temp area-regardless of lighting.

My mother still has one of my first leopard geckos I hatched over 20 years ago (born with a deformed tail). It has never had UV, but, it does always have a small bowl with calcium supplement/D3 available. Age is not always an indicator of health, but, I think it suggests that UV is purely optional with a supplemental diet.
    *.* TNTC

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Sorril For This Useful Post:

Reptile$ 4 Life (10-17-2020)

Thanks

Ok so I just leave a bowl of supplement in there and they will lick it up? No water mixed in or anything?

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Reptile$ 4 Life View Post
    Ok so I just leave a bowl of supplement in there and they will lick it up? No water mixed in or anything?
    Yes. I don't know how much D3 degrades over time, but, my mother swaps out the powder each week in a tiny bowl and keeps the main lot within the printed expiration date.
    *.* TNTC

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

I would imagine you do not need the UVB. I do not use with my LG's at all.

I do supplement calcium 3X a week when young and 2X a week as adults. You can leave out calcium (dry) in a little container and they will take what they need.

I also use a multi vitamin 1X a week regardless of age.

One thought is that when they say, "dusting," they literally mean a tiny bit - a dust over the mealworms, or whatever you are feeding.

So if they aren't eating them, you might be providing too much.

Also, GutLoading the prey is vital. Make sure you are feeding the prey you feed the geckos a proper diet. This is 1/2 the battle.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Reptile$ 4 Life (10-17-2020),Spicey (10-17-2020)

Thanks

Sounds good! I'll try putting some in a container for them. I don't think they have ever had supplements before so even if it is a very light bit of dust they won't touch it.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reptile$ 4 Life View Post
    So, I rescued two leopard geckos recently and they are settling in nicely. The only problem I have had is getting them to eat the calcium dusted mealworms. When I offed regular mealworms they absolutely crush them. So my first question is, if I added UVB lighting would I need to dust the mealworms? Just up front I would get a low power UVB bulb nothing like what bearded dragons need. Has anyone here ever added UVB to their leopard geckos enclosure? If so I would greatly appreciate if you could give me a run down on your experience with it. Also I watched an interesting video where someone said when they gave their bp UVB it became more active during the day. I know not to believe everything I hear on the internet so that's why I am asking y'all. Have any of you given your bp, or any animals that don't require UVB, UVB?
    Unless the UVB fixture is installed inside or you get a high output bulb, the rays won't even reach your gecko. For example, bearded dragons undoubtedly need UVB. The recommended bulb is T5 High Output ReptiSun 10.0 (there are other suggestions but this is one of the more commonly used) because it is strong enough to go through the mesh lid which filters about 70% of the rays coming through. Even so, the lizard needed to bask no less than about 10 inches from the bulb to get any benefit. Too close, it gets burned. Too far, it gets too little to matter. And for leos, they don't bask. Unless you want to dish out over $100 in fixture and bulb (bulb is to be replaced every 6-8 months... Costs about $20-30 per bulb), install it inside the enclosure which may require additional work, and still provide little benefit because it does not bask and it is nocturnal, I wouldn't bother. Most importantly, UVB works better in conjunction with heat and UVA. If you leave the UVB on with no basking bulb, you are not getting the most out of the UVB.

I used to keep a bowl of calcium supplement in the tank. I never seen my leo touch it, so I removed it. So far, no signs of MBD or any illness. Just dust the food with calcium D3 and multivitamin. I feed mine once a week (adult male). Some feeds them more, I go by his condition, especially his tail, to make sure I don't overfeed because he has a good appetite. These lizards are built to fast for months in their wild habitat (not that you should not feed for that long). Younger geckos will need more dusting and feedings.

Try offering something else, like phoenix worms. I get mine to eat by holding the mealworm down which causes it move around a lot.
    Last edited by Cheesenugget; 10-18-2020 at 01:46 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

Reptile$ 4 Life (10-18-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

I do UVB during the day but mine usually don’t stay out in it, the light is just to give a day night cycle. I dust with calcium with D3 a few times a week and provide a small water bottle cap full of calcium without d3 in the enclosure at all times. Your gecko will lick what it needs when it needs. Just remember, they know how much calcium they need and won’t take in too much, but you can overdo the D3, so you need to be sure you’re dosing the correct amounts.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

dakski (10-18-2020)

Thanks

Sounds good! Thanks for the advice everyone!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Reptile$ 4 Life For This Useful Post:

dakski (10-18-2020)