Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,904

1 members and 2,903 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Humidity

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Re: Humidity

Quote Originally Posted by Jdrum6 View Post
    Okay! I’m just worried about night time. Now matter how low the humidity gets during the day (which is never below 60%) without fail at night, it always gets above 80%. And then goes back down during the day. Is there anyway to lower humidity through the night?
    That’s just how humidity works relative to temperature. Check the weather in your local area and you’ll find the same. It’s lower when it’s warmer as air expands and can more evenly disburse the relative moisture content, and vice versa when the air cools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (10-17-2020),dakski (10-19-2020),Jdrum6 (10-16-2020),Toad37 (10-16-2020)

Thanks

Okay, well would I be SOL if it is because of my home? I just don’t want her to get an RI because my house sucks 🤦

- - - Updated - - -

If it continues, will it eventually cause her issues?

Thanks

Okay, well would I be SOL if it is because of my home? I just don’t want her to get an RI because my house sucks 🤦 If it continues at night, will it eventually cause her issues?

Thanks

you could try to use a CHE at night as long as it does not make it too hot, the higher temps should dry out the enclosure a bit at night and the CHE will not give off any light. Also you could try to switch your substrate to something that doesnt hold humidity as well, but just be careful to watch the humidity during the day. I am not sure how much the water bowl effects the humidity but i have heard putting it closer to the hot side can help humidity rise, so maybe try placing it on the cool side.

I am still a beginner, so i will let the experts weigh in as to if these are good suggestions!
    I struggle with humidity too low and have been doing alot of research and trying tons of things to get it up and they are finally working. best of luck, hope this helps!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

It’s likely due to fresh cypress bedding. Putting in a spare tub and tossing a couple times a day for a day or two will allow it to dry out some. Once dry, cypress doesn’t rehydrate too well though. Experimenting with different substrates will tell you what works best in your conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

chloekitt (10-17-2020),Craiga 01453 (10-17-2020),dakski (10-19-2020)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    OP, the others have pretty much tackled most of the questions. I just wanted to chime in and say that it does get easier. It sounds like you'll need to tinker a little bit and see what works best. Unfortunately, since we all live in different climates there's no one size fits all answer, it'll just take a little trial and error. But once you've got things figured out and dialed in it's honestly easy.

Now you'll know to have your enclosure up and running with temps and humidity dialed in before bringing your next snake home

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

dakski (10-19-2020),jmcrook (10-17-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jdrum6 View Post
    Okay, I’ll use a light from now on during the day. What do I do at night to not allow the humidity to get into the high 80s since I can’t leave that light on at night. And I’m using a 10 gal tank for now. She’s only like 80g.
    Others have covered most of it, but it's hard in a little tank. You'll get the hang of it! Things I've tried: keeping screen uncovered, drying out substrate in the oven on the lowest possible temperature (depends on the substrate, so do your research), using a differently shaped water bowl (shallower water bowls evaporate faster, adding more moisture to the air).

IF you get a CHE, please remember to use a thermostat because the chances of the ambient temperature shooting up are high in such a small tank.
    /chris

---
    0.1 Catahoula Leopard Dog / Zooey
    ---
    1.0 Leopard Gecko / Leonard
    ---
    1.0 Normal Ball Python / Edward
    1.0 Banana Ball Python / Bartholomew
    1.0 Blue Eyed Leucistic Ball Python / Alfredo

11. The Following User Says Thank You to christineho For This Useful Post:

dakski (10-19-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Late back to the thread here. However, CHE will work well and you can keep it on all the time. Please use a thermostat with the CHE and start with a lower wattage CHE on a 10G. Remember, temps too high kill faster than too low.

If you have an UTH as well, you can get a thermostat that covers two devices. That should cover you when you upgrade to bigger tank as well.

Also, as stated, the substrate should dry a little over time, especially with the CHE.

Good to be concerned, but heed the advice here and you will be fine.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

chloekitt (10-19-2020)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12