Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,054

4 members and 3,050 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Moving Across Country with Noodle Baby?

Hello Noodle Parents!

I have had my beautiful female BP for a little over 2 years, she is about 3 years old currently- healthy and happy.

However, my life is moving in a new direction and I will be moving from CA to NY in about 5 months and I am pretty nervous about her.

Does anyone here have experience moving such a distance with a snake? I'm nervous about having her on the plane with the airline pet service as I've heard plenty of horrifying stories of pets being injured or killed due to negligence while transporting. I can only imagine how they'd treat a snake. Is this something to be worried about?

I will definitely be flying and having my personal items shipped, so Nagini will have to fly with me.

The flight is around 6 hours and I'd worry about it being too cold/humidity, let alone all the bumping around/ etc.

If flying is safe, any recommendations as to what kind of container I should have? Anything I should be aware of/prepare? I have never flown with a pet of any kind, so I am really not sure what to expect.

I want to do what's best/safest for her, so if anyone has any experience or input, I am all ears!

Thanks all!

Thanks

Re: Moving Across Country with Noodle Baby?

Im new to keeping snakes and dont really have any experience in this area so im sure others will have better suggestions and more information but if you are concerned about him being on the plane with the pet services (i personally would not feel safe doing that either) maybe you could look into having your snake shipped by a company that specializes in shipping reptiles like shipyourreptile or reptiles2you ?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    Unlike small dogs & cats, most airlines do not permit snakes in the cabin. I would find someone local who is willing to ship her to you after get to NY and have her enclosure set up.

Delta and Southwest ship critters airport to airport. You could try calling them about arranging to be on the same flight as your snake, assuming they use the same routes for express perishable cargo as passengers. You will want a direct flight.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-19-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,794 Times in 11,828 Posts
    Snakes are air-shipped all the time pretty safely, especially when the dead of winter is avoided. They must be properly packed though, in a thick styro-foam container with a special heat pack & crumpled paper for padding around the snake bag, in which the snake has been secured. Best to get professional help though. Um, for the packing, not for having a pet snake.

Like on this site: https://shipyourreptiles.com/ (see their tutorials)

I've only moved cross country with my snakes by car, & I packed them in much the same way. The styro-foam box protects from both excess heat or cold, & snakes just relax & sleep while traveling. Air shipping is COLD though (in the cargo hold of a plane, so they need careful use of heat pack). DON'T feed your snake for at least 10-14 days prior to shipment, so they don't end up taking a dump in the bag & be stuck in it for the whole trip.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 10-19-2020 at 06:28 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Spicey (10-20-2020)