Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,081

0 members and 3,081 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Increasing and controlling humidity

Hi all,

It seems as though I need to consistently increase humidity, I live in a very dry area. Misting works, but I'd like a bit better of a setup.

Could I hook up a fogger to this? https://www.amazon.com/Humidity-Cont...dp/B01J1E5LWM/

Would I need a dehumidifier with this or would this work the same as a thermostat in which it would stop the humidifier once it got to the desired percent, and then start back up if it dropped below a certain threshold? Sorry for the dumb question, very new to all this and am trying to learn as best I can.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Re: Increasing and controlling humidity

Quote Originally Posted by ayushables View Post
    Hi all,

It seems as though I need to consistently increase humidity, I live in a very dry area. Misting works, but I'd like a bit better of a setup.

Could I hook up a fogger to this? https://www.amazon.com/Humidity-Cont...dp/B01J1E5LWM/

Would I need a dehumidifier with this or would this work the same as a thermostat in which it would stop the humidifier once it got to the desired percent, and then start back up if it dropped below a certain threshold? Sorry for the dumb question, very new to all this and am trying to learn as best I can.

A dehumidifier isn't going to control anything, it does exactly what it's name suggests, and sucks moisture out of the air. What you need is a humidity controller. Hydrotherm, zoomed, and several other brands exist and I don't think they're super expensive, but essentially they work the same as a Tstat, just with moisture instead of temperature. I have zero experience with these systems though to be clear, I ordered a PVC enclosure to solve my humidity issues once and for all. Got a little tired of misting multiple times a day in my glass enclosure.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    There are a lot of steps you can take before needing to add a mister or any other additional equipment.

If you can tell us more about your setup we can get you sorted out without you spending unnecessary money. I live in MA where winter gets pretty dry. I don't even need to mist my enclosures in winter unless maybe to boost humidity during shed.

What type/size enclosure?
    What substrate?
    How are you heating the enclosure?
    What type/size water bowl?

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

dakski (10-16-2020),EL-Ziggy (10-16-2020),jmcrook (10-16-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post
    There are a lot of steps you can take before needing to add a mister or any other additional equipment.

If you can tell us more about your setup we can get you sorted out without you spending unnecessary money. I live in MA where winter gets pretty dry. I don't even need to mist my enclosures in winter unless maybe to boost humidity during shed.

What type/size enclosure?
    What substrate?
    How are you heating the enclosure?
    What type/size water bowl?
    This ^

Substrate .. I always recommend orchid bark / reptile bark as it holds moisture well , enables you to control the humidity levels plus it enhances the look of the snake and the surroundings .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (10-16-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

I don't recommend a fogger. They tend to lower temps as the fog comes in coolish. They sell misting systems, but probably not needed for a BP. I use this for my Rhacodactylus, but they need 80-90% humidity peaks with drops not too much lower.

https://www.mistking.com

Substrate, as said, is probably your answer. Also depends on cage type and heating elements used. A nice PVC cage with a water bowl will get you 50% humidity all year long.

I noticed some of these questions were asked in a previous post about temp control, but you never answered. It would helpful if you told us more about your setup.
    Last edited by dakski; 10-16-2020 at 09:29 PM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (10-16-2020),jmcrook (10-16-2020)