Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 386

7 members and 379 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 03:30 AM.


» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 69,418
Threads: 243,848
Posts: 2,528,505
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, JadeBoisvert61
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-02-2016
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Heating a 48 x 24 x 18 PVC help

    Hi all, I'm moving some of my larger snakes to PVC cages and I've been struggling to heat them properly. I haven't moved my snakes into their respective cages because of this. The room in which they are housed has an ambient temperature of around 70-75 degrees. Currently, I have a herpstat 2 and a 11 x 23 UTH from reptile basics. The PVC has a recessed base to use a UTH, but I can can't get very much heat to transfer through the PVC. There is no substrate in the cage either. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to avoid having to buy an RHP, but it is looking more and more necessary.

    P.S. Where should I mount my probe? Currently I have it mounted between the UTH and the enclosure.

  2. #2
    BPnet Senior Member dakski's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-07-2014
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    3,762
    Thanks
    5,651
    Thanked 6,789 Times in 2,922 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Images: 134

    Re: Heating a 48 x 24 x 18 PVC help

    The probe can go between the UTH and the tank bottom.

    You will almost definitely need to get RHP's.

    The UTH will only heat the floor and not warm up the tank. That's where the RHP(s) come in.

    On my bigger PVC enclosures, I have an RHP and heat tape on the hot side. I run them off the same thermostat, which can work (not guaranteed and based on wattage etc), with the probe place halfway between the ground and the RHP in the middle of the hot side (middle of RHP).

    If you put in RHP's though, or I should say an RHP in each tank, you probably will not have to use the UTH.

  3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

    bcr229 (10-15-2020),Hugsplox (10-15-2020),PeteV (10-15-2020)

  4. #3
    Registered User Hugsplox's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-27-2020
    Location
    Georgia, U.S.
    Posts
    75
    Thanks
    24
    Thanked 37 Times in 30 Posts

    Re: Heating a 48 x 24 x 18 PVC help

    Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post

    If you put in RHP's though, or I should say an RHP in each tank, you probably will not have to use the UTH.
    Not to hijack OP's thread, but does this method work pretty well with PVC enclosures? I've seen way more people saying that you can get away with just a RHP and ditch the UTHs. I have a AP enclosure with a proheat RHP on the way and have been trying to decide between a Herpstat 1 or 2 based off if I want to run a UTH as well, but a lot of people say the RHP will be enough. Do they heat the inside of your warm hide up enough to consider it a "warm hide?"

  5. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    07-07-2019
    Posts
    352
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 230 Times in 165 Posts
    Images: 4

    Re: Heating a 48 x 24 x 18 PVC help

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugsplox View Post
    Not to hijack OP's thread, but does this method work pretty well with PVC enclosures? I've seen way more people saying that you can get away with just a RHP and ditch the UTHs. I have a AP enclosure with a proheat RHP on the way and have been trying to decide between a Herpstat 1 or 2 based off if I want to run a UTH as well, but a lot of people say the RHP will be enough. Do they heat the inside of your warm hide up enough to consider it a "warm hide?"

    Your in GA? If so you should be fine. A Herp 1 can do 400w the Herp 2 is 300W total unless something changed. Iíd use two Herp 1ís but thatís me.

    Good luck!

  6. #5
    BPnet Veteran jmcrook's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-05-2016
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    2,728
    Thanks
    6,180
    Thanked 4,421 Times in 1,835 Posts
    Images: 13

    Heating a 48 x 24 x 18 PVC help

    Quote Originally Posted by 303_enfield View Post
    Your in GA? If so you should be fine. A Herp 1 can do 400w the Herp 2 is 300W total unless something changed. Iíd use two Herp 1ís but thatís me.

    Good luck!
    Herpstat 2 is 900watts total. Vastly more cost effective to get a Herpstat 2.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jmcrook; 10-15-2020 at 05:18 PM.

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

    Craiga 01453 (10-15-2020),Hugsplox (10-16-2020)

  8. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    07-07-2019
    Posts
    352
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 230 Times in 165 Posts
    Images: 4

    Re: Heating a 48 x 24 x 18 PVC help

    Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    Herpstat 2 is 900watts total. Vastly more cost effective to get a Herpstat 2.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Pulled my manual. Herpstat 2: Do not exceed 300 watts on either output. So I was wrong about the 300W total on the Herp 2. The Herpstat 1 says: Do not exceed 400 watts.

    It's an EZ series user's manual, manual - HS012


    I'm running 15 Herp 1's an 7 Herp 2's. An I'm still upgrading old stuff as it goes up. I like them just use your infrared thermometer to set an check temps.

    Good luck!

  9. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    07-07-2019
    Posts
    352
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 230 Times in 165 Posts
    Images: 4

    Re: Heating a 48 x 24 x 18 PVC help

    Quote Originally Posted by 303_enfield View Post
    Pulled my manual. Herpstat 2: Do not exceed 300 watts on either output. So I was wrong about the 300W total on the Herp 2. The Herpstat 1 says: Do not exceed 400 watts.

    It's an EZ series user's manual, manual - HS012


    I'm running 15 Herp 1's an 7 Herp 2's. An I'm still upgrading old stuff as it goes up. I like them just use your infrared thermometer to set an check temps.

    Good luck!

    The Digital Herp 2 is 900 watts an on sale:https://spyderrobotics.com/index.php...products_id=26

    Good luck!

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to 303_enfield For This Useful Post:

    Hugsplox (10-16-2020)

  11. #8
    Registered User Hugsplox's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-27-2020
    Location
    Georgia, U.S.
    Posts
    75
    Thanks
    24
    Thanked 37 Times in 30 Posts

    Re: Heating a 48 x 24 x 18 PVC help

    Quote Originally Posted by 303_enfield View Post
    The Digital Herp 2 is 900 watts an on sale:https://spyderrobotics.com/index.php...products_id=26

    Good luck!
    Thanks Enfield! This is the one I was looking at, I just wasn't sure if I needed the extra plug since I only have the one BP, and wasn't sure if I really needed a UTH. I guess it would be better to get it and if I need it later for a second enclosure OR if I end up doing both the RHP and the UTH I'll already have the correct equipment. I think my RHP if I remember what Bob told me, is only 75w so I should be fine with either or, but I don't want to get a 1 and then end up needing or just wanting to run a UTH as well.

  12. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    07-07-2019
    Posts
    352
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 230 Times in 165 Posts
    Images: 4
    I just ordered this one:

    https://www.spyderrobotics.com/index...products_id=46

    I hadn't checked the website in a few years. They even have a smart one now!

    https://www.spyderrobotics.com/index...products_id=86

    Good luck!

  13. #10
    BPnet Senior Member EL-Ziggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-05-2014
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    3,676
    Thanks
    3,712
    Thanked 4,474 Times in 2,264 Posts

    Re: Heating a 48 x 24 x 18 PVC help

    Iím in GA as well. I have RHPs in my T10s and Iíve found no need at all for a UTH. I get great basking and ambient temps with just the RHP. I have UTHs on my T8s and have used CHEs to boost the ambient temps in those. Now I just run a small electric heater in the room when needed to keep my ambient temps up.
    3.2 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BO,

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1