Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,082

0 members and 3,082 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Male BP Weight Concern?

Hey all I hope you are doing well. My BP turned a year old on 8/24/20. Today he weighed in at 400grams. Everywhere I'm reading most BP's at a year old are 700+ grams. Should I be concerned about this? He's eating very well. Currently gets weekly rat pups, and i'm about to up him to weaned rats. He hides all day and then comes out and chills on his log each night. He seems happy and healthy. I just wonder if this is an oddly low weight for his age? Thanks for the advice!
    Follow along on Poe's adventures on instagram: @poe.the.python

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Male BP Weight Concern?

I just looked at him on instagram and he looks fine and that weight sounds fine to me as well. Weaned rats are appropriate at that weight and weekly is fine for feeding at that size as well.

Many people push food, and taking a more delicate approach shouldn't hurt an otherwise healthy and happy BP.

Also, they all have different growth rates based on sex, genetics, etc. You said your BP is a "he," so his adult size will likely be smaller than females you may be comparing him to as well.

I checked my records on Shayna, my now 8 year old and roughly 1,900G albino spider BP. She was about 500G at the 1 year mark. She doubled the next year to about 1,000G. It took her 4 years to reach close to her current size.
    Last edited by dakski; 10-13-2020 at 09:11 PM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (10-13-2020),Spicey (10-14-2020)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Re: Male BP Weight Concern?

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    I just looked at him on instagram and he looks fine and that weight sounds fine to me as well. Weaned rats are appropriate at that weight and weekly is fine for feeding at that size as well.

Many people push food, and taking a more delicate approach shouldn't hurt an otherwise healthy and happy BP.

Also, they all have different growth rates based on sex, genetics, etc. You said your BP is a "he," so his adult size will likely be smaller than females you may be comparing him to as well.

I checked my records on Shayna, my now 8 year old and roughly 1,900G albino spider BP. She was about 500G at the 1 year mark. She doubled the next year to about 1,000G. It took her 4 years to reach close to her current size.
    I haven't looked at the pictures, by don't worry so much about weight and focus on body structure. There are far too many variables at play to say what a yearling "should" weigh. Also keep in mind, many people over feed trying to grow their snakes faster and many are overweight.

I trust dakski 100% so if he says your boy looks good I can confidently say trust him. He's extremely knowledgeable and I'm familiar with his crew, they're all in fantastic shape.

P.S. Dakski....I'm on IG, hit me up!! snakes_and_grins

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

dakski (10-13-2020)

Thanks
    I greatly appreciate the feedback and feel much more relieved now. i did a bit more research and learned it's pretty normal for him to weigh what he does as well. I definitely don't wanna overfeed. I want him to grow at a comfortable pace and not be overweight. thanks again for the feedback
    Follow along on Poe's adventures on instagram: @poe.the.python

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wonderwhitters For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (10-16-2020),dakski (10-16-2020)