Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,871

1 members and 2,870 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Record-sized python caught in Everglades

May she rest in peace... (I agree that they must be removed, but it still makes me sad- the snakes are victims.)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Record-sized python caught in Everglades

Hunters capture snake 18-feet, 9-inches long
    Amy Bennett Williams
    Fort Myers News-Press USA TODAY NETWORK – FLORIDA
    FORT MYERS, Fla. – Everglades wildlife is a little safer, now that the longest python ever measured in Florida has been caught and killed.
    Hunters Ryan Ausburn and Kevin Pavlidis nabbed the record-breaking specimen, the South Florida Water Management District announced Thursday. At 104 pounds, she wasn’t the heaviest snake ever removed, but at 18 feet, 9 inches, she was the longest. The previous record-holder, captured in 2013, was an inch shorter, and some have weighed in at around 140 pounds.
    Making their feat even more important is that the reptile was an egg-bearing female, said district spokesman Randy Smith. The voracious Asian imports have been wreaking havoc in South Florida’s ecosystem.
    Not only do they eat wildlife, they carry a lung-destroying parasite that’s spreading to Florida’s native snakes. Though it is illegal to release nonnative species into the wild, pet Burmese pythons that escaped or were dumped are now established in Florida.
    “They are apex predators,” Smith said. “They have decimated the natural wildlife that makes the Everglades great. They’ve got no enemies.”
    The duo caught the snake Oct. 2 about 35 miles west of Miami along the L-28 Tieback Canal.
    The capture was part of the joint python elimination program by the district and the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, under the direction of Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis.
    So far, hunters in the expanded program have removed more than 5,000 invasive pythons from the Everglades.

“(The) record breaking capture shows that our increased efforts are working to get harmful pythons out of the precious Everglades ecosystem,” SFWMD Governing Board Member “Alligator Ron” Bergeron said in a release. “Together with our partners and the public’s help, we can restore the Everglades and combat the harmful pythons that hurt Florida’s native wildlife.”
    Kevin Pavlidis, left, and Ryan Ausburn hold the record-breaking python.

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Reinz (10-13-2020),Reptile$ 4 Life (10-13-2020),richardhind1972 (10-13-2020)

Registered User Reptile$ 4 Life's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Record-sized python caught in Everglades

Yeah it makes me sad too. I wonder if there could be a way to catch them and then give them to zoos or breeders if they were treated for parasites?
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (Flicker)
    1.2 Southern Alligator Liazrds (Wraith, Magma & Annie)
    0.1 Western Skink (Stella)
    1.1 Leopard Geckos (Leo & Jade)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reptile$ 4 Life View Post
    Yeah it makes me sad too. I wonder if there could be a way to catch them and then give them to zoos or breeders if they were treated for parasites?
    Probably not. Unfortunately most zoos get "offers" almost daily for huge snakes that have out-grown their owners & homes.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (10-14-2020),Sonny1318 (10-14-2020)

Thanks

Besides, all zoos know about the situation in Florida, so I'm sure that if they had a place for one or two, they'd know how to get in touch & make it happen?
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 10-14-2020 at 01:00 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

This bums me out, but I understand why they have to do it. Tegus are an issue where I'm at now. People buy them when they're 9 inches long not realizing the get a few feet. I think it's an education issue and a lack of responsibility on the purchaser's part. I never buy an animal without doing a ton of research, but I know a lot of people impulse buy animals, then we end up with pets getting released and causing issues like this.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-14-2020)