Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 375

2 members and 373 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 03:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 69,418
Threads: 243,848
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, JadeBoisvert61
    Thanks

some questions about digital thermostats

hello all! I got my Draco recently and have had to rely on an analog thermometer while waiting for a digital thermostat to arrive (which it will today! seems everyone around me is getting reptiles this week lol). i've been keeping a very close eye on the temps and humidity and while the temps have been sticking at the lower end of the spectrum they haven't dipped too much or gone up too hot, he even ate last night within 5-10 minutes of the pinkie being placed in the enclosure which I took as a good sign. I have another thermostat coming in tomorrow as well.

The one arriving today is the Exo Terra Day/Night Thermostat that has a dimming feature which I'm going to program his basking light to (that's what someone said to do although looking a picture of the box it says it's most ideal for heating lights so maybe set that to the CHE instead?). The one that will be in tomorrow is the ReptiZoo Digital Thermometer Temperature Controller that I plan to use for the other lights/heaters that I can't plug into the Exo Terra since it has 3 outlets as opposed to the one. Both of them have probes and I'd like to probe for some answers to a few questions.

First, is this too many thermostats? I think when I ordered the ReptiZoo I forgot that the Exo Terra had a thermostat since my mind just focused on the "dimming" part of it. And I liked that the ReptiZoo had a timer outlet since I wasn't really sure how much the dimming one would regulate.
    Secondly, where's the best place to put the probes? I was thinking of putting 1 in the middle and maybe 1 on the warm side but I've seen a lot of different information on placements and wanted to get a more general idea of where the best places are. I even saw some people who had the probes outside the tank under the UTHs.
    Lastly, since he ate last night should I wait before setting up the probes? He's still a juvenile, and I don't want to bother him too much while he's digesting. Even misting his enclosure this morning made me a little nervous, though I'm 95% sure he was sleeping anyway.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by nico420; 10-09-2020 at 01:51 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,789 Times in 2,922 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: some questions about digital thermostats

I recommend one good thermostat that can cover your entire tank (or multiple tanks) and that can grow with you, preferably a redundant kind.

I use on/off thermostats that I got from Jeff Ronne, the Boaphile, when I bought my tanks from him. They are not his brand, but he uses them with his animals and they have worked well for me. I like the redundant design, although I have used proportional thermostats with great success as well. I am also pretty sure you make many proportional thermostats redundant as well. I'll let others chime in on that. Basically, a redundant thermostat has two probes and two stats. A primary stat and a secondary thermostat. If the main thermostat fails open, which can happen, the second thermostat takes over and shuts down the first one so your reptiles don't overheat.

Basically, I chose redundancy over ease of use and have minor fluctuations in my tanks temperature, but it's not drastic at all once dialed in. I also use an RHP and heat tape on my hot side so that further reduces the fluctuations.

Anyway, pay a lot now, get what you will need for the life of your animal or animals, and stick with brands that mainly make thermostats IMO. I would avoid zoomed, etc. as this isn't their main focus.

Probes should go between the top and bottom of the tank in the middle of the "hot zone" if using an RHP, or other overhead heating device. IN THE TANK.

You don't want it too close to the ground because your animal(s) can waste on them, spill water on them, etc. and you will get false readings which can be dangerous.

If you are using a heat pad or heat tape, the probe should go between the heat pad and the floor of the tank or under under the tank with heat tape. Note that the temperatures will vary. It will generally read higher on the probe than in the tank since the probe is outside the tank in this instance. You might get 92F on the probe and 88F inside the tank. That's fine, just adjust accordingly.

If using two heating devices on the same side, like an RHP and heat tape, and you want to run them off the same stat/probe, then stick with the halfway up the tank in the middle of that zone as mentioned for just the RHP.

Below is a link to Jeff Ronne's Ranco (right there on his page - Ranco) thermostats and his explanation of why he prefers on/off.

http://www.boaphileplastics.com/thermostat.html

I have used SpyderRobotics with good success as well. They sell the Herpstat brand. I also see they just released a herpstat 2 with wifi connectivity, which is cool.

https://www.spyderrobotics.com/index...=index&cPath=1

Again, thermostats are worth their weight in gold. Get a good one and don't look back.

You can always get a separate dimmer switch at a hardware store anyway.

Finally, if he ate yesterday and temps are enough for him to safely digest, yes leave him alone and let him digest before setting up the new thermostats.
    Last edited by dakski; 10-10-2020 at 01:49 AM.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (10-10-2020),nico420 (10-11-2020),XpensiveWino (10-10-2020)

Thanks

Re: some questions about digital thermostats

thank you so much for the info!! I ended up just going with the Repti Zoo for the on/off features, gonna return the dimmer since the cords were too big to fit into the inlet of my tank anyway. After speaking to some local breeders, I think I'm gonna take him off heat lamps and just set up the heat pad above the probe and have the thermostat programmed to shut it off if it gets too hot. The heat lamps haven't been working out for me very well, but that's a whole different story. he's under the heat lamp for now, I'm gonna try handling him tomorrow to do the heat pad set up. I tried to today but I was admittedly pretty nervous, didn't help that the plant he's hiding under covered his line of vision so he couldn't see me coming. He didn't flinch away from the touches but he didn't really like it either lol

thanks you again and greetings from a more northern New England state!!
    Last edited by nico420; 10-11-2020 at 06:41 PM.