Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,900

2 members and 2,898 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Green iguana color change help

Hi, I don’t know if I’m posting this in the right spot, but my iguana is living at my moms while I’m at college and I go over every other week to check up on her and make sure she’s doing all right and just overall love on her. I came over today to noticed that her color has become a little bit yellow her and she has weird brown splotches on her tail. She’s currently shedding so I don’t know if it’s an actual issue, and changes a brighter green when I come around. Can any of y’all help me with the coloring and tell me if she needs a vet. Tell me if you can’t see the photos. Photo link is: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Rvm3sMLTkcE7rCB99
    Last edited by Specks; 10-08-2020 at 02:50 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Hi...I've never kept an iguana, but when I belonged to a large herp society, some of the members brought a large male (rescued) iguana on a leash to help educate
    others about the pitfalls of keeping them. (one that one had worn out his welcome by attacking the woman of the household & not allowing her to go upstairs...really!)

Anyway, that iguana was actually orange in color when he was at the show, & was known to be quite healthy, so I'm guessing that the color change you're seeing may
    be the very same thing? I don't know how many iguana keepers are around on this forum, & it's been a little quiet lately anyway, so that's why I'm taking a crack at
    your question. I do not know if only one gender changes colors that way, or if they both do. If your iguana is eating like normal & acting healthy, she's probably fine.

But if you need to find a vet, or just want to have "her" (?) checked up, this site may help you find a qualified vet nearest you:

https://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661

BTW, IF your iguana happens to have been mis-sexed & is actually a male, and IF you are a female of reproductive age, you need to be aware that more than one owner
    has had issues of aggression from adult male iguanas towards adult females in the household at "that time of the month". Something (scent-wise) apparently just sets
    them off, so please be forewarned, as large iguanas can truly hurt you to the point of needing hospital care. A whack from their tail has been known to cut a man's arm
    to the bone, plus they can bite & have claws. Please do be careful no matter how docile "she" seems to be at this stage. Wild animals sometimes grow up with unpredictable instincts that influence their behavior.

And please do update us with whatever you find out, OK?
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 10-08-2020 at 03:38 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Specks (10-10-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Now that you've gotten me curious, here's a little something I just read: This is an excerpt from https://peteducate.com/do-iguanas-change-color/ and apparently that magnificent male iguana that I saw on display was in full breeding mode when I saw him. No wonder he seemed to be strutting, lol.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    When an Iguana is in their second year of life, their colors change into what would be their adult color.

Many iguanas shed their bright deep green color to develop a paler green. The belly bands of males become more vivid as they reach sexual maturity.
    Iguanas shed their skin every four to six weeks; in the weeks leading up to this, the color can change. The normal color will become duller, veering on yellow.

Heat and cold also have an impact on their standard color. The skin of these reptiles becomes darker when it’s cold as dark colors absorb heat and get lighter when they are too warm.

Stress can also have an impact on their coloring, bear in mind, dark brown, dark gray, yellow, and black are not healthy iguana colors.

There are exceptions to the rule, some iguanas are this color, but this is a sign of stress in your average iguana. In a pet that is stressed, the head will be first to change color before the rest of the body changes; the belly will remain green or yellow.

During the breeding period, males will usually develop a rusty orange color over their entire body, or their green color will become paler, with bright orange appearing on the spikes and dewlaps. This color change happens months before the breeding season begins and will last for many months after the breeding season ends.

When females change color during the breeding season, they usually develop a soft rust color around their eyes.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 10-08-2020 at 03:52 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Specks (10-10-2020)

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Looks like normal color changes to me (I had an iggy for a few years long time ago)
    I also suspect you have a female (due to small crest and no tail bulge)
    she's cute!
    Last edited by AbsoluteApril; 10-08-2020 at 04:45 PM.
    For the Horde!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

Specks (10-10-2020)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Wife keeps 6 or so iguanas. I just feed them an pay for stuff. Yours looks fine "but" a little bit on the thin side. Are you feeding a spring mix daily with some fruity pebbles (dry stuff)?

Good luck at school!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 303_enfield For This Useful Post:

Specks (10-10-2020)

Thanks

Re: Green iguana color change help

Quote Originally Posted by 303_enfield View Post
    Wife keeps 6 or so iguanas. I just feed them an pay for stuff. Yours looks fine "but" a little bit on the thin side. Are you feeding a spring mix daily with some fruity pebbles (dry stuff)?

Good luck at school!
    She is fed a mix of kale mustard greens collard greens and bok Choi . We add carrots tomatos and fruits but mix them to keep variety

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post

Stress can also have an impact on their coloring, bear in mind, dark brown, dark gray, yellow, and black are not healthy iguana colors.

There are exceptions to the rule, some iguanas are this color, but this is a sign of stress in your average iguana. In a pet that is stressed, the head will be first to change color before the rest of the body changes; the belly will remain green or yellow.

When females change color during the breeding season, they usually develop a soft rust color around their eyes.
    this is what I worry about, my iguana has lived years comfortably with my three cats and was a bright green color, but since this week she changed to a yellower color (my mom has a small dog that dislikes her but doesn’t really see her and she has a different bigger cage) could the sound of the ac in my room be causing stress too? It is loudish. And yes she’s a female I checked and her pores are small. She is also chrrently shedding and the brown spots on her tail are seemingly new so I guess that a vet visit is best

Thanks

If you could read my other reply and tell me if her color change is stress I would be the utmost thankful I hope I’m not just a worry wart