Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,287

5 members and 3,282 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Please critique?

Critique? http://imgur.com/a/sDuhnWi

He is only 61.6 grams, maybe 10 inches long, very shy. This is a 20L for the next few months. Hot side is 90 and the warm is 80, humidity is at 60% steady. Foil tape on the mesh lid to retain humidity, 6-12 square inch for him to get proper air flow. He also has an under tank heater I wont use til I buy a thermostat tomorrow, but I was wondering if I'd need one with this setup/these temperatures. There is also a soaking/drinking bowl on cool side.

Here's the shy beeboo, Raja: http://imgur.com/a/I1P8Zcr

Also, do red lights cause stress? I was just told this.

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Re: Please critique?

That is a great looking snake!

The prominent features in any enclosure to me are: Water bowl and hide(s). Everything else is clutter and decoration. Whether or not the cage looks good to us: The real test will be if your ball python likes it and eats consistently.

I know you are doing the 'gradient' thing. Not my favorite method--since the water bowl can either be on the 'hot' or 'cold' side or precariously placed in between...

If your ambient is 90F on one side (imo) that is too hot. 90F should be the belly hot spot created by your heat pad not the air temperature. I personally would not go over 85F for ambient. Smaller ball pythons tend to be much more forgiving of higher temperature imbalances...so no big deal atm. You asked if you need a heat pad? If you use a surface temp gun and the bottom of your 'warm' side is at least 85: I would say no...it would be nice though. I keep ambient in my collection at 80F: so I have heat pads on every one of my ball python enclosures with a hot spot calibrated to 90F. In the summer when the temp. goes up to 85-88 in my snake rooms: I turn off my heating mats.

I see that you are using those plastic gauges to measure temp/humidity in the enclosure...those are wildly inaccurate. I would recommend finding a digital equivalent and as mentioned previously a surface temp gun for contact temperatures.

I didn't see any pictured, but, hopefully you are using locks for the top of the cage.

Last thing, I noticed that you have a Croton (plant) in a pot---these require high light in a terrarium setting: I would take it out. If there are any other live plants in the enclosure I would be wary of them surviving close quarters with a ball python-these snakes are quite strong and can easily overturn them.

Note: I like the sticker.

As for red lights: I know they can see them. I suspect the snake would prefer a ceramic heat emitter with no light output.
    Last edited by Lord Sorril; 10-09-2020 at 07:50 AM.
    *.* TNTC

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lord Sorril For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (10-09-2020),Sonny1318 (10-13-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Sorril View Post

I see that you are using those plastic gauges to measure temp/humidity in the enclosure...those are wildly inaccurate. I would recommend finding a digital equivalent and as mentioned previously a surface temp gun for contact temperatures.

I'm gonna be ordering a temp gun (was hoping to find one in a physical store but nowhere seems to carry them or I just don't know where to look), but I do have a thermostat and just a quick question, should I be worried if the thermostat is reading the same temp as the the analog?

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nico420 View Post
    I'm gonna be ordering a temp gun (was hoping to find one in a physical store but nowhere seems to carry them or I just don't know where to look), but I do have a thermostat and just a quick question, should I be worried if the thermostat is reading the same temp as the the analog?
    Temp Gun: https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Lase.../dp/B00DMI632G

If your thermostat gives you a digital reading and the analog matches...then consider yourself lucky for the moment. I would still get a backup digital thermometer to cross-check your thermostat...if one or the other malfunctions: you will want to know it.
    *.* TNTC

Thanks

I forgot to thank you for all your help!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,898 Times in 2,993 Posts

Please critique?

Quote Originally Posted by nico420 View Post
    Yes the stat temps are just an approximate guideline .. you then adjust the stat when you know the proper temps ( using a decent thermometer or temp gun ) .

So your actual temps could be completely different to what those normally useless plastic dials say .

I had acquired two a few years ago when I bought some second hand vivs .. when I compared them - side be side in exactly the same place there was a 20F difference !!

They make equally useless hygrometers as well ... you may as well hang a pine cone up instead of of them !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Zincubus; 05-12-2021 at 10:59 AM.