Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,193

2 members and 1,191 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

First time shed for new owner

Morning everyone! so the day before leviathans feeding when i was going about my daily tank check, I came across him looking like this:

by the cloudiness of his eyes and slight dulling of the skin am i right in thinking he is entering shed? i skipped his feeding and upped the humidity to about 70-72 % just to be safe until i could get an answer from someone here. thank you in advance!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: First time shed for new owner

Quote Originally Posted by Eltharion View Post
    Morning everyone! so the day before leviathans feeding when i was going about my daily tank check, I came across him looking like this:

by the cloudiness of his eyes and slight dulling of the skin am i right in thinking he is entering shed? i skipped his feeding and upped the humidity to about 70-72 % just to be safe until i could get an answer from someone here. thank you in advance!
    I can't see from the pic. But yes, cloudy eyes, wrinkly skin, hanging out in a hide not wanting to roam... All signs of an incoming shed. You are doing fine.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

For my part .. now you’ve noticed he’s in shed... I’d start spraying the viv on a daily basis then as soon as he gets more active again and gets his colour back and eyes clear THEN start spraying a couple of times daily .. it results in perfect sheds each time in my experience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks

My apologies for the photo size. I didn't want to shove my phone all the way towards him, last thing I wanted was to scare him Into striking. He was sitting briefly along the back side of his enclosure behind the water dish, rock and drift wood when I went to mist his enclosure, but when I checked back later he has moved back to a hide.

The only reason I might not go to only one misting a day is because I'm in California and right now our humidity in general is 45% in my area, plus we have a dry heatwave etc.

Thanks for the replies so far! I'll definitely post an update when hes started to get further into the shedding process.
    Last edited by Eltharion; 10-06-2020 at 03:05 PM.

Thanks
    Shed update: when I went this evening to check on Leviathan and
    Mist his tank I found that he had successfully shed. My question now is if I should immediately go out and secure his normal food amount or wait for his usually feeding day on monday?

Thanks

Shed update: when I went this evening to check on Leviathan and
    Mist his tank I found that he had successfully shed. My question now is if I should immediately go out and secure his normal food amount or wait for his usually feeding day on monday?
    How long ago since he ate ?

Thanks

He went into shed Monday Oct 5th. His last feeding day was Monday Sept 28th. I was gonna go today and get his usual 2 fuzzy rats and see if he was hungry.

Thanks

He went into shed Monday Oct 5th. His last feeding day was Monday Sept 28th. I was gonna go today and get his usual 2 fuzzy rats and see if he was hungry.
    Guess there’s nothing wrong with trying him with one first and thaw the other the day after he he eats the first one ..

That said leaving it till Monday would be fine ...

Thanks

Leviathans new feeding days are Friday. He was out looking for food at midday. Hes currently getting read to eat the first fuzzy
    Second one will be shortly after.