Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 651

1 members and 650 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Question Possible Shedding

Hello. I have had my ball python for 2.5 months now! She is doing great! Her hot side is about 91 and her cool side is around 80-82. Her humidity is between 65-75 at all times. She has yet to shed. But there are some areas on her body that look like the scales are flaking. Is this normal These areas are super small like one or two individual scales. Advice??

Thanks
    Thanked 19,789 Times in 11,825 Posts
    Helps a lot for us to SEE it. I've seen fungal infections that start that way too- one or few scales. Watch & see if you see more spots* like this; high temps plus high
    humidity favors fungal infections on BP skin, btw. If it's a fungal infection, it won't disappear with a shed. Can be treated with a topical, & without treatment, can get
    really ugly after you wait a while. *I would describe them more as a changed texture when you look up close...not actually flaking skin. In any case, snakes don't shed that way- a few scales at a time.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 10-05-2020 at 07:45 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Re: Possible Shedding

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Helps a lot for us to SEE it. I've seen fungal infections that start that way too- one or few scales. Watch & see if you see more spots* like this; high temps plus high
    humidity favors fungal infections on BP skin, btw. If it's a fungal infection, it won't disappear with a shed. Can be treated with a topical, & without treatment, can get
    really ugly after you wait a while. *I would describe them more as a changed texture when you look up close...not actually flaking skin. In any case, snakes don't shed that way- a few scales at a time.

Yikes. I had never heard of this. I will take some pictures of her when I get home and post them. It does not appear to be a different texture but like something caused her scale to raise up but not flake all the way off.

Thanks
    Sometimes snakes* get a few folded up scales just from the way they lay- coiling up forces them against each other, & snakes* like BPs have soft scales that fold easily,
    not like gopher snakes or rattlesnakes that have tougher keeled scales. If that's all it is, it's the snakey equivalent of "bed-head".

Either way (even if it's a fungal infection) it's not an emergency.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 10-05-2020 at 07:53 PM.

Thanks

[QUOTE=Bogertophis;2744681]Sometimes snakes* get a few folded up scales just from the way they lay- coiling up forces them against each other, & snakes* like BPs have soft scales that fold easily,
    not like gopher snakes or rattlesnakes that have tougher keeled scales. If that's all it is,

Last edited by Kayleed; 10-06-2020 at 06:36 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kayleed View Post
    Hello. I have had my ball python for 2.5 months now! She is doing great! Her hot side is about 91 and her cool side is around 80-82. Her humidity is between 65-75 at all times. She has yet to shed. But there are some areas on her body that look like the scales are flaking. Is this normal These areas are super small like one or two individual scales. Advice??

Thanks
    IF (& again, I'm not actually seeing them) it's just folded scales from squishing in her hide, etc.- there's nothing you can or should do about it.