Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,021

0 members and 3,021 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Handling.. help?

Hi guys, I have a two year old female blood, and she is very defensive. I can not handle her without gloves because the heat signature sends her into a flailing fit, musking everywhere, and swinging around with an open mouth ready to bite anything. I am not worried about getting bit, I am just worried about stressing her out. So I have been handling her with gloves, and I handle her only minimally, just to move her for cleaning.

She does this weird thing when I pick her up that I haven't experienced before, when I pick her up, a small bit of her rectum stick out of her cloaca.. it looks like she's about to prolapse, and it makes me concerned to handle her any extra. Has anyone else experienced this? How did you handle it? It goes away a few minutes after she goes back in her enclosure and settles down. Thank you for any help.

Her cold side is at about 76-78 degrees, warm side 83-84 degrees, humidity between 60-70%. She is in a solid FB80 tub in a rack.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    So your getting a feeding responses opening her tub? Have you opened the tub an just let her come out on her own? Other then that it’s hook training.

Good luck!

Thanks

Re: Handling.. help?

Quote Originally Posted by 303_enfield View Post
    So your getting a feeding responses opening her tub? Have you opened the tub an just let her come out on her own? Other then that it’s hook training.

Good luck!
    No it's not a feed response. It's a defensive/fear response. I tap her with a hook to let her know I'm there before picking her up. She's mostly fine with the gloves but if I use my hands she gets terrified.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Renigaed View Post
    She does this weird thing when I pick her up that I haven't experienced before, when I pick her up, a small bit of her rectum stick out of her cloaca.. it looks like she's about to prolapse, and it makes me concerned to handle her any extra. Has anyone else experienced this? How did you handle it? It goes away a few minutes after she goes back in her enclosure and settles down. Thank you for any help.
    It's another defense mechanism; she's straining to musk/pee/poop on you so you will let her go.

By "solid" tub do you mean opaque without the window? Perhaps that's her problem, she's in the dark and then is blinded when you slide the tub open.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-05-2020)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    My JCP did that when he first arrived, but it sounds like it was far less extreme. He'd "evacuate" himself and his cloaca would stay out as if he was trying to get more out. It just didn't last nearly as long as yours, his was fairly quick.

My Borneo STP is an absolute sweetheart, so I can't give specific blood/STP advice, but I do have a suggestion.

Once you get her out, keep her out for a while. Right now she's getting what she wants when she is picked up. She acts out and gets put away.

I suggest getting her out, getting passed the messy, flailing, mouth agape part and setting her down next to you on a bed, couch, floor, whatever. Just be sure you can get her there without dropping her if she's flailing a lot.

Once there see if she mellows out while next to you, but not being held. If she begins to associate your scent, mannerisms, etc...with something more than a quick, uncomfortable experience she will learn that you're not a threat. Her behavior is indicative of her being scared. Try to gradually earn her trust through sitting with her, moving her to your lap once comfortable, but not confining her.

I hear a lot of people suggesting "short and sweet" handling sessions to start. I used to as well. But in my more recent experience I've had far more success with longer sessions. I feel as if it allows more trust building time between pick up and put away.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-07-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    It's another defense mechanism; she's straining to musk/pee/poop on you so you will let her go...
    Yup, I agree. At least she's hasn't actually sprayed you...yet. Hopefully she'll learn to relax in time, but some can take a while- don't wear your best silk shirt when you handle her.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 10-05-2020 at 07:57 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Yup, I agree. At least she's hasn't actually sprayed you...yet.
    My uber-defensive young burm did that, and at the time she was a good bit larger than a blood python. I needed to shower afterward.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    My uber-defensive young burm did that, and at the time she was a good bit larger than a blood python. I needed to shower afterward.
    Well, hatchling king snakes are lots of fun to sex or just handle too...I referred to them as "Rain Birds"- after the lawn sprinklers! But at least they're tiny!

Thanks

Thank you so much for your reply. It's a relief to hear I'm not the only one who's delt with this. I will try the longer handling sessions. Thank you very much.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Renigaed For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (10-06-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Renigaed View Post
    Thank you so much for your reply. It's a relief to hear I'm not the only one who's delt with this. I will try the longer handling sessions. Thank you very much.
    "Misery loves company" they say... But patience with snakes usually pays off. Remember, you're fighting against their very survival instincts...being picked up is usually a predator planning to eat them (in the wild)! So you can't blame them, can you?
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 10-05-2020 at 10:22 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (11-05-2020)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast