Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,544

3 members and 2,541 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

Thread: Peat Moss

Thanks

Peat Moss

Hello everyone

I'm new to the site, and farely new to Ball Pythons. Up until recently my reptile experience has been with some Sulcata tortoises that I rescued from a co-worker about two years ago. Great guy, just didn't know anything about the land giants that he had adopted.

Anyway, like the rest of you, I want to provide the best possible care for my ball python. I've read probably hundreds of care sheets, and have found this site to be the most helpful.

I've seen a lot of threads on substrate, but couldn't find anything on peat moss. Does anyone see a problem with using peat moss as a substrate. It is really cheap, about $6 at lowes for fifty lbs or so. Since I feed my snake in the cage (his choise not mine) I want to use something that is safe if ingested, and because peat moss is decomposing plant matter, I figured it would be. It holds moisture very well, and is extremely soft. The only two problems I can figure with the peat moss is the dust and that it is not sterile. Currently I'm using indoor/outdoor carpet, which is great, but sucks for humidity.

Any input would be great. Thanx

Thanks

Re: Peat Moss

I'd be worried about parasites/bugs in the peat moss. Dust can be problematic as well.

As far as ingesting.. a snake's digestive juices can dissolve bones.. a bit of aspen shavings, bark, or newspaper isn't going to stand a chance in there.

Lots of people use aspen, repti bark, newspaper (I use it for all of mine.. it's free and so easy to clean out)

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Thanks

I have to agree with April, worried about bugs, and other problems with the peat moss.

Aspen is REALLY cheap from the supermarket. I get 1800cu in for like 2.49 Lasts me about 5 changes, but I have 5 cages, and one of those cages is a 30g aquarium.. the other four are 15qt sterilites. So that'd be enough to completely change out one cage like 25 times.
    Ken

Thanks

A substrate like peat moss that stays wet or moist is NOT appropriate for ball pythons. They like their humidity to be around 60%. Worst case scenario with peat moss could be scale rot or respitory infections.

Use something dry. I'm thinking about getting a paper-shredder for all of my sensitive mail, and I thought of something. The only bad thing about newspaper is that the animals tend to move it around in their tubs. What if you took newspaper and SHREDDED it? It'd be like free aspen w/o all of the dust or smell. Anyone ever tried this?
    -Brad

Thanks

couldja imagine if ur snake was rolling around in ur bank statments!
    Alex
    {1.0.0 ball pythons- MONTYcurently being fostered}
    0.3.0 older sisters
    3.0.0 older brother-in-laws
    3.0.0 little brothers
    0.1.0 cutest lil sister ever
    New!!! just added!!!3.0.0. nephew!

Thanks

Shredded newspaper...I'm def going to try that...
    -Brad

Thanks

sounds like a great idea, ppl have ben using shredded paper for rodents for ages, why not for snakes lol

Thanks

Thanks for the advice.

Before I was using carpet, I tried a mixture of that compressed coconut bark stuff and reptibark, and it worked great, holding the humidity around 70%. Is this to high? I put it in right before my BP started shedding and s/he had the most beautiful shed. I just figured that peat moss would be a good substitute. With the carpet and barks and things, the best I can do with the humidity is 45%, and that's with a good misting twice a day, and most of the screen top covered.

Thanks

Topher, are u using a IR light? or any other light source? if so git ride of it, u will gain Humidity. i recently had my setup using a combo of UTH and one IR light. i was using towels as substrate and while we had a humid summer it was fine. recently i switched to aspen and i noticed at least a 10 - 12 % drop in humitidy which i tried to fight while i still used the IR light. I lost the battle and ditched the light and added another UTH in the center of my 45g aquarium. everything is running smooth again.

Thanks

I use shredded newspaper for my sand boas. Works great. I just got a cheap $15 paper shredder from Radio Shack.

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/