Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 642

1 members and 641 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

PA Woods and Forests Storyline

Hello, I wanted to create a new thread that's more like a blog about my experiences with a few of my major projects. I post all the time about my animals and how they are doing. I have been trying to get more efficient and try no to keep creating threads, so hopefully this, and along with my other post of my toads will be the only two for 2020 and possibly 2021.

The main points I hope to cover are of my two enclosures and my conservation project. I will try to elaborate on both of them on here. I have created a brand that is on numerous platforms called "PA Woods and Forests." I use my pets and my projects focused on conservation to educate, entertain, and showcase the wildlife of Pennsylvania. The majority of my pets are rescued from bad situations from around the state. I do not believe in poaching from the wild, but I believe people are also able to legally own native animals if they desire, so I create content for people who own or are fascinated by our native wildlife.

I will start with the update of my two enclosures I'm preparing to build. I have an empty 125 gallon aquarium. I am going to keep two different animal groups inside this enclosure. My gray tree frogs that are known by a nickname that is popular among my followers as the "Gray Army." This group is four tree frogs, two male, two female. They will be joined by a more exotic group, my southeastern five lined skinks. They have a nickname for their group the "Skink Dynasty." The Gray Army and Skink Dynasty have been very popular among my threads and YouTube videos. Currently the tree frogs have been quarantined for over a year battling parasites. They appear to be healthy from testing fecal samples. The skinks will soon be tested as well. The Gray Army is going to inherit the 125 gallon aquarium first because they are simply the only clean parasite free animals.

It will be the most followed topic of the three that comprise this thread. I plan on filming and giving updates on the progress of building this habitat. It will be very exciting watching and filming the two popular pet groups under one roof!

The other enclosure is the largest exo terra terrarium they make currently. The 36*18*36 inch terrarium will house my exotic White's tree frogs. The three tree frogs have been in quarantine as well. Luckily they are not sharing their home, so as they are being treated for parasites, they will not contaminate or become a threat to the health of any tank mates. I am looking forward to showcasing these guys. The "Dumpy Family" is the nickname this group of tree frogs are associated with. I will be building both enclosures and hopefully keeping them on the same stand to have a nice, clean, and eye catching look. These two enclosures getting finished are my top priority for the first and possibly second quarter of 2021. There will be building videos and updates before the fun begins.

I believe in telling the stories similar to the Days of our lives and AntsCanada. If you can care about these tree frogs and lizards then you will care about saving them in the wild. I hope to entertain you with fun and laid back storytelling of the groups of animals. I will show and discuss feeding videos, showcase specific animals, and have more creative ideas along the way. I will focus on providing updates on the health and happiness of the animals and share more details about the animals on forums. You get more details about the animals you can follow on YouTube.

These two stories and building their enclosures are the next big projects for me and the PA Woods and Forests brand.

I have been working on the biggest project ever for my brand and that is Frog Week,2020. It will focus on the frogs and toads of Pennsylvania. I will showcase the animals in their natural environment during their breeding seasons. I will showcase other components to their lives like their prey, plants, predators, and locations these animals live. I have been recording since March 2020 so I have so much to do getting this project ready for release week. I will be releasing a week long series of videos following chronologically the order of breeding seasons these animals have. I caught some breathtaking scenes, and I have gotten much better as a presenter, producer, and filmmaker. I upgraded my tech from last year and I am continuing to pursue growth.

The goal I have is for people to care about frogs and toads like they care about sharks watching shark week. I did not copy them, but the idea of dedicating an entire week to the conservation and education of the wildlife of Pennsylvania is a brief opportunity to share with you the career I am hoping to pursue. I want to research the frogs and toads of the Northeastern United States. Frog Week is a project I created to help entertain and educate people about frogs. I hope you will be interested and open to watching my adventures finding the wildlife in the woods and forests of Pennsylvania.

I currently am getting finished with the project, but I have many videos to go. I have a content heavy project coming soon! I enjoy responding to any comments or feedback you leave. I hope you will follow this thread as it will get very detailed and I will have more appealing content for you.

Sent from my BKL-L04 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Re: PA Woods and Forests Storyline

Frog Week Update, news of upcoming vivarium builds...

Hey guys,
    I just wanted to create another post since I was on here. It's been a while since I posted an update. I have a few things to cover that are noteworthy. The first point is about Frog Week. I'm excited to release this project because it has taken so much time and many people have helped either to be a member of the crew or to help promote it. I am working on marketing this and making it much bigger than Frog Week 2019. We are hard at work talking about Frog Week 2021. It's crazy we are already filming a little bit for next year's event. We will have even more incredible footage next year because of the continued advances in tech. Cameras, accessories, and many other gadgets will make 2021 a great year for Frog Week. Check out the stand-alone post on here to read more about Frog Week 2020.

The White's tree frogs are getting medical treatment for parasites still. We are getting closer to getting rid of the parasites, but we are going to be more aggressive. So no real updates except they are still quarantined for a while and will be getting aggressive treatment soon.

The last part of the update is centered around the 125-gallon enclosure that will most likely be the first build of 2021. I have to get one fecal sample for the gray tree frogs. If they are negative, then we can begin construction of the enclosure and hopefully finish around spring. I'm optimistic it will happen. It's fun to think I'll have one group of animals in their forever home. They have been in quarantine for many months. I'm very excited to see how the group maneuver around the large habitat. It will be fun creating videos and seeing how they hunt food.

The other side of this specific enclosure is the skinks that will join the gray tree frogs. I'm going to have to get them checked out also. I am optimistic that they will be able to quarantine and get out quick because they don't have the same parasites the frogs had because they are lizards. It will be a great feeling seeing the two major groups together in the massive tank. I am very excited to get this done and have the ability to admire it for myself. This enclosure along with Frog Week 2020 and 2021 will be very important for PA Woods and Forests. It is almost the restart of the brand. With new tech, better editing, and better presentation skills, I am hoping to enhance and repackage the brand into something even better. Let's hope that the White's tree frogs can get better and join in on the remake of the brand. They are a major piece of the storyline as well!

I will update you more on the status of the fecal exams of the Gray Army and Dumpy Family, as well as Frog Week.

Last edited by AAronCap; 11-25-2020 at 10:33 AM.

Thanks

Hey everyone! It has been a very crazy time with the animals living in the PA Woods and Forests Community. The animals of this storyline are going through many different challenges and situations.

I am preparing samples from the gray tree frogs (Gray Army) soon to be sent to the vet alongside the samples from the White's tree frogs (Dumpy Family). Oh, how the Dumpy Family wishes they had the same luck as the Gray Army. With the next stool sample being their most important sample. It is a make or break situation for the Gray Army from getting out of quarantine, if it comes back negative, the gray tree frogs will have the opportunity to ascend to the bioactive vivarium they have been promised. From a 20 gallon high quarantine aquarium to a 125 gallon 6-foot long habitat.

Let's hope they get the chance. In 2021 I am anticipating getting them out of quarantine and having one ecosystem in an actual vivarium! It's been 2 and 3 years for some animals.

The Skink Dynasty is awaiting the Gray Army to join up in the 125 Gallon. Pharaoh the male skink has been displaying his bright red head because he is in the mood to mate for the third year consecutively with his mate Amsi (female). Both skinks look to be in great shape and I am hoping Amsi will be more active and calm in a larger space.

It will be fascinating seeing the patriarchy of the Skink Dynasty colliding with the co-ed conglomerate of the Gray Army. The grays have yet to produce offspring for me, but they are fond of each other snuggling up to bask and hide. They bathe together at times and have some sort of fondness that may not scientifically be an emotional connection, but especially opposite-sexed animals seem to enjoy each other's company. How will the groups interact? This may be only a few months away from the discovery.

Who will be joining the Skink Dynasty and Gray Army in the 125 gallon? Millipedes? Snails? Others? Time will reveal the answer.

On the other side of optimism is where the Dumpy Family resides. They have been hit hard by the medication to shed the parasites. The medication killed our beloved gray tree frog, Christian in 2019, by him not being able to cope with the side effects, and some toads and the male members of the Dumpy Family are having a hard time coping with the same problem. Max the fan-favorite is doing well. She has already shed the medication. The frogs and toads do this by pooping. Max has gone three times so the medicine and effects are out of her system.

The males have yet to release their bowels as do the toads in their respective quarantine setups. Every day is not promised and it's been difficult seeing quite a few frogs and toads suffering from the medication. The trick is to poop as soon as you can to get rid of the dead parasites and the medication. I am hoping soon in the frogs and toads we will see them overcome the side effects and return to their natural behavior.

Max came to the edge of the tank where both male Dumpy Family members are laying and she stays with them putting her front leg what would symbolize someone putting an arm around a loved one. I never saw her do this before, but it's evident Max cares to some degree about her friends/potential mates. It's been emotional to see her staying with them. We are hopeful the three Dumpy Family members can get through this and hopefully get rid of the parasites and enjoy the 100 gallon Exo Terra Terrarium that awaits them. Send your best wishes and prayers to the frogs and toads of the PA Woods and Forests Community because they need it! I will be sure to update this once the outcome is decided with Spurgeon and Jeremiah.

What I can say is the new series coming to YouTube featuring these three groups I am thinking about naming "Wild Vivariums" to emphasize the idea that we are going to learn about the species living in the enclosures. We will go over facts about the species, and information on the specific animals. What do you think about the name Wild Vivariums? It will have a more laid back narration style with some humor, some cinematic action, and education and entertainment.
    Last edited by AAronCap; 01-18-2021 at 06:02 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AAronCap For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-05-2021)

Thanks

A Major Update!!

Guys, it's been a wild journey and there is some good news ahead.

The vet said with the last test for the gray tree frogs that they are negative! The Gray Army is the first group to recover from the parasites! They have been negative around a year and finally got approved to move into the 125 gallon. The group of four aren't the only animals going into the 125 gallon. The Skink Dynasty will continue and make the move into the enclosure as well. The Skinks were never sick so there is no risk whatsoever. Who is interested in seeing the interaction between the species? The dominant male skink and the independent, but still dependent gray tree frogs. Bane since hibernating has reclaimed his nickname as Bane The Hunter. He is the most fierce gray. He outcompetes the bigger females. I can't wait to document the breathtaking footage I'll be able to record of Bane hunting. It will be like something from an animal documentary.

The Gray Army- Skink Dynasty merger caused a chain reaction! The enclosure the Skinks are in now will come out of the hallway creating an empty space. I have decided to let the Dumpy Family live in their massive Exo Terra XL terrarium while still in quarantine. They won't have real plants and soil, but they will have fake plants and maybe the bigger the space the less stress and faster the parasites are gone.

3 animal groups are set to return with updates and videos. Are you excited to see how these animals are doing?

I have a spoiler to reveal as well. After a long and we'll thought out process I have decided to split up my toads and create a second enclosure featuring Wellsboro and Navi. There will be 4 groups featured in the upcoming series "Wild Vivariums". I am looking forward to filming and compiling the footage from frogs, toads, and lizards that many who follow my work are immediately familiar with the animals. It's setting the stage for a star studded storyline. Max, Pharaoh, Bane, and Wellsboro will be the stars of the same story. I can't wait to begin filming the building process of the 125 gallon and to begin the storyline!

Last edited by AAronCap; 02-16-2021 at 12:41 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AAronCap For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-05-2021),nikkubus (02-16-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    I'd love to hear how it goes. I think far too many reptile keepers are either in the "don't co-hab different species ever" group or the "let's throw together whatever, what could go wrong" group and not enough trying to really carefully document interactions to see what works and what doesn't. Cool project! Hope it works out well for you.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

8. The Following User Says Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

AAronCap (03-04-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nikkubus View Post
    I'd love to hear how it goes. I think far too many reptile keepers are either in the "don't co-hab different species ever" group or the "let's throw together whatever, what could go wrong" group and not enough trying to really carefully document interactions to see what works and what doesn't. Cool project! Hope it works out well for you.
    Thank you for checking this post out! I have been a keeper of frogs and toads (and my skinks) for many years now and I wanted to share how I manage my pets in this post. From plants to parasites to videos to everything honestly. I'll have an awesome update under this post as well!

Thanks

The first pets to be parasite free...

This update is on the progress of the pets lives from beginning enclosure planning and the health of some of the animals noteworthy of sharing!

I explained in the previous update of my intentions to document and use my experiences with the pets in this thread and story to educate and entertain keepers and nature lovers. Three enclosures are the centerpiece for this blog/update. I will have mixed-species and same-species setups, so it will have a lot to offer frog owners.

I can't talk about builds without talking health! As you know, the gray tree frogs (Gray Army) are confirmed healthy, meaning no parasites. Their 125 gallon will be a staple for the story being the lone mixed-species setup. It's the first project I'll be able to document in 2 years! I'm so happy to film and document my animals again! The Gray Army and Skinks (Skink Dynasty) will showcase what an ecosystem featuring healthy plants and animals looks like. The skinks are immune to the amphibian parasites, so they do not need to go through what the amphibians did with aggressive quarantine. I will explain how we can feed both the tree frogs and the skinks different diets while still being in the same enclosure. I will go over the lights, supplements, and many other things. First, I can't wait to document the building process and construction of this enclosure. I just got word the 125 gallon won't be the only habitat in this thread to be deemed negative for parasites because another animal is certified by the vet to be negative for parasites!

Finally, after two years, Wellsboro has tested negative in parasite tests. He's technically the first toad to be healthy and he will be the main toad featured in this pet storyline when I showcase how I keep toads as pets rather than exhibit specimens like in my other thread/story (the woods exhibit). Wellsboro is one of the most impressive toads I've ever seen. I am very fascinated with showcasing his behavior and size. He is the largest male toad I've seen He will be the lone toad until the others join him after being negative from parasites. It has been a very long time since he's made an appearance on my YouTube channel and he's been long overdue. His guranteed health is a major confidence booster. For the last few years slowly I made the hard decision to stop filming my pets and became obsessed with getting rid of the parasites. Now the patience and the process will reward all of us the chance to watch Wellsboro thrive in captivity and watch the story of his life unfold.

Not only the emergence of the two parasite free enclosures, but the White's tree frogs (Dumpy Family) will be back, and I will film them in their recovery from the parasites their peers in the other enclosures have shaken. I think this could help people to learn more about quarantine and helping get rid of parasites, but they can still watch and cheer the Dumpy Family on to recovery!

It's going to take a little bit longer to begin the construction, but I just wanted to say where we are at. All three enclosures will be available for the YouTube storyline and you guys reading the updates can see visually the updates from the thread/blog unfold. We went from 2 years of no enclosures to film, now to three enclosures whenever we get started. I'm excited to put more effort into helping people care for their pets, and to document mine simultaneously. Enjoy a picture of Wellsboro the Golden Toad from today.

Last edited by AAronCap; 03-05-2021 at 12:13 AM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AAronCap For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-05-2021),nikkubus (03-05-2021)

Thanks

125 gallon construction underway!!!

For the first time in almost 3 years I'm building a bioactive vivarium for frogs (and some other creatures). The process is going to take longer than I hoped because it needs a background for the two respective groups that will dwell in this enclosure. Skinks climb to bask and gray tree frogs are tree frogs! They need to be elevated. The process of building the background will take up the most time. I have some of the plants which will be entering the build after the drainage layer is installed. Probably around July sometime.

From all accounts the Gray Army is still healthy and patiently waiting for their home to be built. The Skink Dynasty is also hanging tough. The five pups are also going to make the transition to the 125 gallon. I have caught some glimpses of Amsi (female skink) but I think she laid eggs again and is basking to warm them. We might have an explosion of skinks! We will cross that road when we get there.

Some of the plants I have selected are going to give the enclosure a lot of character. I am using Autumn Brilliance Ferns and Parlor Palms from Josh's Frogs as the main terrestrial plants. I might use oak leaf creeping fig and some other small non-pothos plants. I'm heavily considering a blueberry bush that can be a terrestrial plant. It could be great for the grays to climb and hide in. I guess the same can be said with the palms. I also have an Aroid Vine I'm looking forward to displaying. These are just some of the plants I'm looking to use! I'm liking the mix of palms and ferns. It give it that Jurassic Park feel!

The MistKing Starter 4th Gen and Evergreen Pet Supplies Reptile Fogger will be the humidity control and will keep the environment hydrated. I am planning on adding fans for good air flow and to make the enclosure more fresh. The MicMol planted 54" LED and Arcadia T5 bulbs in the 48" Oddysea T5 fixture will light the enclosure, and these guys will be able to have thunderstorms with lightning if I ever wanted to! This is just a little bit about the tech gear for the build. I will also install a pump that will filter the water. It won't be a complete water feature, but a bin that will be enough for water for the animals, but possibly big enough for the Gray Army if they choose to breed in the enclosure. They will brumate again this year.

The other group entering this build will be a good welcome back for some of you that have followed my work. The Giant Millipedes will be living in this build exclusively! Many places offer captive bred specimens and I have bought three. Instead of isopods, I will allow the Giant Millipedes to be the clean up crew. Them along with the springtails and maybe some earthworms will be tasked with breaking down the poop and leaves and etc.

The Dumpy Family (White's tree frogs) are doing well. They aren't in their quarantine tank anymore. They are still quarantined, but are doing it in their 36x18x36 Exo Terra! There is reason and optimism to believe these guys (and Max) are either near healthy or are completely healthy with how I've kept up with them. They just have fake plants, towels and brown paper towels along with other little stuff for quarantine.

After Frog Week 2021 I am looking to create their new series where I can showcase educational and entertaining content on caring for animals in quarantine and animals in bioactive setups. I'm trying to upgrade my tech and my vivs at the same time, so it's only going to get better as we go! I have a lot of great surprises for you guys along the way!

Thanks

Vet results, Frog Week 2021 is Sunday, future projects all in this update...

For those of you that don't know, I have a conservation project that I have been working on for three years. Each year is a new installment. Frog Week 2021 will debut August 1st 2021 and end August 7th 2021. I show you my work as a citizen scientist working with my favorite animals, frogs and toads! I hope you will support the project!

Vet results came back. The gray tree frogs are NEGATIVE! They have been negative almost 2 years. So now I have the green light from the doctor to continue building the 125 gallon gray tree frog and southeastern five lined skink vivarium. I will have a lot more free time after next week. I can't wait to share this project with you guys! I'm so happy for the gray tree frogs to get to live in a large vivarium. I can't wait. They have their plants in their quarantine tank right now. I will need to take some of the plants to install them later in the 125 gallon. A couple of native north American species will appear in the tank. I'm also not using pothos for this build. I can't wait to see this done and ready for me to spend hours watching it and filming it. It is the first of three animal vivariums I will be building this and next year. I haven't had a video featuring my animals in almost 2 years! That streak will end soon!

The White's tree frogs tested negative as well. I'm glad and hopeful they test negative again one or two more times. Probably right when the skinks and grays move into the 125 gallon we will have our results back if the White's are next to have a bioactive vivarium. Let's hope that this holiday season two of the three vivariums are up and running! That's my hope and goal!

Not to much to report on because Frog Week is dominating my free time and I don't have time to build the 125 gallon yet. Once August 8th comes I will be full steam ahead for the 125 gallon. That means you the PA Woods and Forests Community will get to see two straight series back to back. I will finally have a year with content and educational and entertaining videos. Let's hope the Whites can join the party for content creation.

Last edited by AAronCap; 07-31-2021 at 12:37 AM.

Thanks

Hey guys! Frog Week 2021 is on YouTube! The first 3 episodes are on and the project will be all week! I hope you can checkout the project. Checkout the link to see episode 3

https://youtu.be/v29F_7jGP5A

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast