Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,089

1 members and 3,088 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Best decorations for a ball python?

I'm finally getting back into ball pythons and I'm about to start the preparation process. Any sturdy recommendations? Strong branches? Any store bought hides that can hold a adult python? He will get a smaller one in the meantime but I was curious if they actually made any suitable for adults.

A good place to get cork? The male I have my eye on is only 110g right now but I'm looking for things that'll hold up as he grows. Can I put aquarium statues in his enclosure? Process of prepping items like that?

It'll also be my first time using a heat lamp. I plan to get a lamp adjusting stand so that his lamp isn't directly on his enclosure top. A CHE will be put in the lamp. Instead of a screen lid, I'll be using a piece of plexiglass with holes drilled into it on a 20g tank. Will the plexiglass work with the lamp overhead or will it get too hot or not hot enough?

Would a jumpstart thermostat be a good idea for a starter tstat? I eventually plan to get him two herpstat 2s for his lamp and heat pad but was curious as to if the jumpstart one will work for now. What kind of accurite product would be best to see his humidity/ temperature on? Will they become inaccurate if the python knocks it over? Best place to put it? Best temp gun? I used to have one but I don't remember the brand it was.

I'm super excited to get back into keeping pythons!!

Thanks
    Hello?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts
    I got my first BP about a month ago and went with similar choices as you're considering.

With branches, you can get your own depending on where you live. Look up what species are safe to use (I used apple), and pick branches on the tree that are dead but not rotted. You then want to trim off any pointy ends and excessive branches, strip off any bark, then smooth the whole thing down with sandpaper. Next, put them in the oven at 250 degrees Fahrenheit for two hours to kill any microbes in the wood, wash afterwards and they're ready for use.

As for hides I'm using those half logs. He seems to like them just fine and they'll provide a rough surface for when he needs to shed, plus they come in two sizes so when he gets bigger I can simply switch to the other ones.

Not sure about the plexiglass as I went with a screen lid and utilized cardboard wrapped in aluminum foil to serve as humidity guards (though they aren't working as well as I'd like). My best suggestion would be to drill a hole for the lamp so the heat isn't directly on the glass, and fasten a screen over the hole to prevent escapes. I also perched mine atop an empty mike stand and put a clamp on the wire to keep it from slipping off.

Jumpstart thermostats work perfectly fine for my setup, so you're good there.

I use a Zoo Med thermometer/humidity gauge as it comes with dual probes, though be aware if you use this you'll want to hot glue the wires in key places as the snake will all too easily move them around and mess up the readings. Same for the probe you'll use for the CHE (remember that it will need its own thermostat).

Generally wouldn't recommend aquarium decor. They tend to be too craggy and sharp and can have potential spaces and holes where the snake can get stuck (the fake skull and castle ones are notorious for this). A safe bet is some fake plants from a craft store. Just make sure they don't have glitter or the like on them or have exposed wire and that they're sufficiently washed before use. Bundles of fake ivy are a good example.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    On a CHE/heat lamp on plex use a metal grid to keep it off the plex. Grid can be old oven racks found at Good Will for .50. I like the grid to overlap the tank. I use scrap pig panels, because I have them.

On plex you can cut an oversize hole an hot glue metal screen or mesh (hardware cloth) on the snake side (mesh is oversize so it can't be pushed out). Then put the lamp/CHE over it (using a grid).

Yes, it's overkill. But having a snake escape or plex melt is bad. Yes, I had a snake escape an learned.

Good luck!