Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,005

4 members and 3,001 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Help with heating

Hi guys,

I found this dresser/book shelf this person was selling and thought it would be awesome to use for my bps. I’ll attach a photo below:

I think this would be an awesome snake display/ rack. I’ll definitely have to modify it to make sure it’s appropriate for my snakes but I think I might be able to make great use out of this. One of my biggest concerns was about heating. Here’s my original idea:

This might be difficult to understand so I’ll do my best at explaining. I would carve out about a few mm into the bottom piece of wood in each shelf so that the heat mat, and a piece of glass can fit inside so that it creates a flush, even surface with the bottom piece of the wood. And then I would just silicone it shut. What do you guys think? I’m open to any suggestions and ideas.

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts
    I'd be more concerned about what heat and humidity and liquids are going to do to that wood. What about ambient heat? Does silicone attach wood to glass well? Planning a spot for thermostat probes under the glass or wood? Do the doors open up or out or how? Wondering how you will latch them or go about feeding without them coming out entirely.

2.0 Python brongersmai
    1.1 Python breitensteini
    1.0 Python curtus
    1.0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Acrantophis dumerili
    1.0 Boa constrictor
    0.1 Heterodon nasiscus nasiscus
    0.0.1 Pantherophis guttatus

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    What are the measurements of the piece? Will it have enough floor space?

Also, you need some space for air flow when using ahead mat, so the carved out idea likely won't work unless you somehow address that.

Thanks

Re: Help with heating

Quote Originally Posted by GoingPostal View Post
    I'd be more concerned about what heat and humidity and liquids are going to do to that wood. What about ambient heat? Does silicone attach wood to glass well? Planning a spot for thermostat probes under the glass or wood? Do the doors open up or out or how? Wondering how you will latch them or go about feeding without them coming out entirely.
    It’s made of melamine, which I thought was okay to use as long as it’s sealed properly. Correct me if I’m wrong though, it’s just what I heard.

I think the silicone will bind well with the wood. The wood should have enough surface area, but if not I can rough the surface up a bit before siliconing it. And glass is definitely okay.

My heat mat has an attached temperature controller, so I don’t really have another probe with it? It stays at the temp I need it to plus I do check everyday to make sure it’s okay. And if I do have a probe I’ll make sure I have enough room to place it on the heat mat.

The doors open up, and slide in so that they are flush against the top of the shelf. And to bring it back down you slide it out, and then down. In terms of the latch I have a few ideas. I’m not really sure what they’re called, but if you would like to inquire more I’ll try to do figure out a way of explaining them.

I haven’t had an issue of them coming out while I feed them, but you’re right that it can happen. If you have suggestions on what I can do I’d love to hear!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post
    What are the measurements of the piece? Will it have enough floor space?

Also, you need some space for air flow when using ahead mat, so the carved out idea likely won't work unless you somehow address that.
    The measurements are 36x12x12. So I think it’s a good size for my snakes right now. I don’t have any adult females, or males that are larger than 4 ft so I think this will be okay.

I don’t know how thick the floor pieces are but I’m definitely sure I’ll be able to have some room for airflow. My heat mat is like, paper thin and non stuck so I’ll have to figure out what material I can use to keep the heat mat slightly elevated off of the wood.

Also, if you have other suggestions on how to heat the enclosure I’d love to hear them! Because this is the only idea I’ve come up with so far.

Thanks

@going postal

I’m sorry I missed your question about ambient temps. I found these small heat lamps that have a cage around it. (I hope that provides a decent enough visual) I’m planning on hanging that at the top corner of each shelf. Given it can still be hot around the cage, so I can block off more of it if need be.

I also wanted to add to my reply about your question on what could happen to the wood if liquids and stuff get on it. If there are methods that you know of in terms of treating/ waterproofing wood I would really like to know! I’d love to make this shelf work but at the end of the day if it doesn’t then it’s not a problem.